Early A-4 Flight suits

Discussion in 'Related Gear' started by Roughwear, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the production number of the first two A-4 flight suit orders? They are 31-297P and 33-1737P. I would imagine they would be fairly small judging by the small number of A-2s supplied to the AC from 1931-3.

2. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Possibly "Security Aviation Togs"

3. Roughwear

They were actually made by the Lee Corporation as were many early A-4 suits.

4. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

It does mention the use of "Lee" snap buttons in Full Gear .Were "Lee" a manufacturer of clothing to the US Military ? only one confirmed manufacturer in the list Andrew and the Security Aviation Togs example shown in Mathieu Bianchi's publication .
    Where to find such contract info ? :(

5. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Is "Lee" the same company that produced denim jeans etc ?

6. Roughwear

Yes, they did make the famous jeans too. H. D Lee Corporation was a large maker of work wear and had several contracts for A-4 suits. I suspect their early contracts were quite small just as early A-2 ones were, ie. under 2,000.

https://www.lee.com/about/history.html

7. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

i read that same website Andrew , but found no mention of aviation suits only coveralls which i presumed to be for the civilian market ? .

8. Roughwear

There is no mention of them on this website, but in Full Gear there are pictures of 31-297P with "Lee" stamped on the snaps.

9. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the contracts from pre 40 are not covered by my lists , but after a quick check there are listings for H D Lee from 40 onwards

Roughwear likes this.
  10. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

Once again reminders that the pre WW2 era essentially never happened, certainly not from the perspective of today's business or military. The '30s especially were a period where both were at all-time lows.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Roughwear likes this.
  11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

56715910-1DC1-4478-9081-B2A41CB87D8E.jpeg 14D122E3-0778-456E-A659-1A2E90F2E44F.jpeg 7683069E-C06B-4F5D-9E4E-F43DC889DFA2.jpeg

Geeboo likes this.
  12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This is my A-4.
    Nice minty condition and belonged to Capt. I.L Davis.

13. Roughwear

What a great A-4 suit. It dates to the 1941 fiscal year.

Pilot likes this.
  14. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Another "wartime" contract number shown in Full Gears list of A4's i havnt been able to identify :(

Pilot likes this.
  15. Roughwear

I have a first contract A-4 in my collection which dates to the 1931 fiscal year, order 31-297P. I will be starting a separate thread on it tomorrow on this very rare survivor which belonged to a senior inter-War AC officer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steve27752, Geeboo, Pilot and 2 others like this.
  16. Greg Gale

Greg Gale Well-Known Member

I know I'm color deficient, but these look OD to me, whereas most repros are tan/ kakhi. So what's the accurate color?

17. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Above /|\

18. Greg Gale

Yes, but as I've said I'm slightly color deficient :) Is it really greenish, like it seems to me?

19. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Mine is greenish OD.

Greg Gale likes this.
  20. Greg Gale

WPG offers a nice repro, and many reviewers say it looks identical to their original ones, but hey, this doesn't look greenish to me at all:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then again, I've found pictures of originals of the same color, which don't look greenish to my screwed up eyes either :confused: :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018