• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Durable Brand Flight Jacket-->any info on history of this company?

Gilmob

Picked this jacket up recently. Looks like the Talon Main zipper dates it somewhere in the 1930's/40's. Label is faded, but says, "Durable" --"Genuine Front Quarter Horsehide... There's not much information on this brand online anywhere. I've never seen any of there Flight Jacket offerings... Supposedly it was the brand that made Brando's D Pocket Jacket in the Wild One. Not sure how true that is, but if anyone can provide some info on the company, I'd love to learn more about it. Thanks in advance for any help.
front.jpeg
label.jpeg
zipper.jpeg
zipper2.jpeg
zipper3.jpeg

Southoftheborder

You would probably have more joy at the FL site. There are, or used to be a few people there with extensive knowledge of pre war and post war US brands.

I have read in several places that the Brando jacket was a Durable and Schott's claim to be the maker rests on them buying the brand a little later when they went bust. But that's just something which has became accepted truth. It may not be.

Gilmob

You would probably have more joy at the FL site. There are, or used to be a few people there with extensive knowledge of pre war and post war US brands.

I have read in several places that the Brando jacket was a Durable and Schott's claim to be the maker rests on them buying the brand a little later when they went bust. But that's just something which has became accepted truth. It may not be.

Thanks. I posted it over there on FL and no one really knew much about it aside from helping date the zippers. It’s kind of an odd jacket in terms of the slash pocket and A2ish styling. I’ve personally never seen one like it not to mention the age of it. There’s not a lot of info regarding “Durable” as a brand with any documentation or company history.

Steve27752

Thanks. I posted it over there on FL and no one really knew much about it aside from helping date the zippers. It’s kind of an odd jacket in terms of the slash pocket and A2ish styling. I’ve personally never seen one like it not to mention the age of it. There’s not a lot of info regarding “Durable” as a brand with any documentation or company history.

By way of an introduction, why not post a bit about yourself here.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/