• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Duffle Coat

Southoftheborder

Hey Burt, are you aware if anybody out there makes a version that is akin to the originals? I've heard that Buzz Rickson markets a decent repro, but at what cost. Wasn't that long ago that people were wearing
heavy wool overcoats that reached to below the knees. Winters are pretty severe here in Middle Canada.

I recently bought a Magee Donegal tweed raglan overcoat that comes down to my mid calf. Worn with a fairly narrow brim trilby it does attract some looks at times but It's great in colder weather and I really like it. I always love the way you can see into tweed, and the more you look the more colours you see. I'm not getting so much use from my sheepskins at the moment though.

MikeyB-17

I had a duffle coat when I was about five, I bet I looked awfully cute in it. I can't say I'm keen on the look, especially in the brown. I'm sure it was great on watch on the Arctic convoys, but I think it's a strictly utilitarian garment which doesn't have a lot of style. I think the USN did a better job with the Pea Coat, although a hood is a thing worth having. That having been said, I think the blue version of the two shown looks pretty good - I agree the dark toggles are the way to go.

Micawber

Few can can beat an original Gloverall, but whatever the make the importance of layering should not be overlooked ...as ably demonstrated by a certain high ranking officer...

Monty.jpg

Jack Hawkins nailed it...

Jack Hawkins.jpg

LewisDias

help me on one thing, I made the purchase yesterday and ended up sending two ( navy and camel), because the price dropped -25%
But I think I rushed because black friday goes until the 30th and I think the price will go further down there.
Will if the price goes down the site will give me back the difference in the future or should I cancel my purchase and expect a lower price?

thanks.

LewisDias

Actually I don't know if I did well, I wanted to take advantage of the promotion, but two duffle coats now seems to me exaggerated and I do not know if I will use the two properly, may I know your opinion? I can still cancel and only one come.

B-Man2

Hi Lewis
Sounds like a bit of buyers remorse. I’ve been through it as well . Here’s my suggestion . Any reputable merchant usually extends time limits of a few weeks or 30 days to send back a purchased item. I would find out what that time frame is from your seller and if it time permits , I would accept both coats , and think about which one to Keep or maybe keep both. By the way this is supposed to be a fun thing, so don’t give it so much thought.

LewisDias

Exactly what I did, the bad part is in case of return I will have to pay shipping, or so I can sell on ebay, I think I could review all the money, given the price I bought it.
But to be honest I think I will stay with both haha
If they have good quality and dress well and I like them, I get both and it was a great buy and investment, I'm sure of it.

B-Man2

Glad to hear that your happy with your purchase. I would suggest that before you consider it an investment, you might want to look around and check on EBay to see what used ones are selling for.
Cheers

LewisDias

What sizes did you get.. If you don't want the 'camel' I might be interested if you grabbed a 40 or 42....

I got both 36, and it looks perfect on me, although I think it has a slightly slim cut.
I was lucky because only size 36 was at a great discount, in the end it cost me £ 88 camewl with wooden toggles and £ 100 blue with buffalo horns.

B-Man2

I got both 36, and it looks perfect on me, although I think it has a slightly slim cut.
I was lucky because only size 36 was at a great discount, in the end it cost me £ 88 camewl with wooden toggles and £ 100 blue with buffalo horns.
Ok ... now to repay all of us for our advise and help .... we’re going to need to see some “fit pictures” of you wearing your new coats :D

LewisDias

Of course, I only received them yesterday, very soon with a review of me and some photos.
For the first touch I can tell you that it is a quality coat, heavy, well built, I did not expect anything else from a product "made in england"

colekwok

Umm, I remember my Gloverall when I was in primary school.... very think and warm. I also have one now but more on the fashioned side with two tone (blue/grey) colour, but is a lot thinner with maybe 80% wool compared to the 100% ones in the old days.

I also wonder how good (or bad) are the Gloverall peacoats, how are they compared to something like the Schott 740?

asiamiles

Does anyone know where the much shorter duffle coats originated? I recall my local army surplus store having them back in the eighties, and they were used so they must have been issued to some Navy or other. Buzz repo'd one in their United Carr line.

mulceber

Sounds to me like Chris is about to tell us where we can find naval duffel coats and will thoughtfully provide us with a link. :rolleyes: