• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Duffle Coat

LewisDias

Hello

I am looking to buy a duffle coat but a little undecided on the color to choose, navy or camel?

What should I consider besides my wardrobe to choose one of these colors?

LewisDias

Are you looking for a WWII original or a contemporary one? There are big differences between the two.

the original was with wooden toggles, right?
That doesn't matter to me, I think with the buffalo horns it looks more refined, the strings more casual.
I'm undecided it's about color because I like both..

Southoftheborder

It's a matter of individual choice and no one else can make the decision for you. My personal preference is the tan. The navy version reminds me of what students in the UK wore in the sixties, with long striped college scarves hanging down to the waist. Whatever you get it should be a good size. The modern fashion skinny fit is all wrong.

LewisDias

This is the original montgomery, classic fit, knee length.
I don't remember these students because I wasn't even born, but don't you find the blue more versatile and sharper?
The camel is beautiful and fun to use but more casual i think

mulceber

the original was with wooden toggles, right?
That doesn't matter to me, I think with the buffalo horns it looks more refined, the strings more casual.
I'm undecided it's about color because I like both..

More to the point, the original is a longer coat than the ones pictured. Think knee length, and bulkier.

b36f162ec541bf7e9f0f35a5244d8546.jpg

LewisDias

according to the photo yes, but this model is very tall.
If I agree with the site measurements, the jacket will give me the knee.
Even though the ones you posted are too big, I'll use this in town to protect me from the cold and look good

ex.
duffelcoat.jpg

I'm just in doubt in the color, but I think I'll have both come and then return one

B-Man2

according to the photo yes, but this model is very tall.
If I agree with the site measurements, the jacket will give me the knee.
Even though the ones you posted are too big, I'll use this in town to protect me from the cold and look good

ex.
duffelcoat.jpg

I'm just in doubt in the color, but I think I'll have both come and then return one
Aside from the wooden toggles and the choice of colors, there are a few additional differences between contemporary and WWII models. I’m familiar with both the Gloverall Montgomery model and the WWII issued coats and own both types.
the WWII Duffle Coats were made significantly oversized to be worn over multiple layers of clothing. They were very heavy and made to be impervious to all sorts of weather you would encounter in the North Atlantic during the worst weather . The Gloverall Monte is lighter and not as heavy or over sized .
Good luck with your choice .

mulceber

Aside from the wooden toggles and the choice of colors, there are a few additional differences between contemporary and WWII models. I’m familiar with both the Gloverall Montgomery model and the WWII issued coats and own both types.
the WWII Duffle Coats were made significantly oversized to be worn over multiple layers of clothing. They were very heavy and made to be impervious to all sorts of weather you would encounter in the North Atlantic during the worst weather . The Gloverall Monte is lighter and not as heavy or over sized .

Yeah, I think we're wasting our breath here. He's made it pretty clear that he's not interested in vintage jackets. He's found a modern jacket he likes, and wants us to sign off on it. Any relation to a jacket British sailors wore during WW2 is incidental.

B-Man2

Yeah, I think we're wasting our breath here. He's made it pretty clear that he's not interested in vintage jackets. He's found a modern jacket he likes, and wants us to sign off on it. Any relation to a jacket British sailors wore during WW2 is incidental.
Agree....

LewisDias

I am not looking for the traditional of the second war, to walk in the city I think not need so much ..
I think I go with the blue, is more traditional, goes well with everything, difficult to make mistakes, camel is not that much.
As for the buttons, do you have on your buffalo horns or wooded tonggles?

B-Man2

I am not looking for the traditional of the second war, to walk in the city I think not need so much ..
I think I go with the blue, is more traditional, goes well with everything, difficult to make mistakes, camel is not that much.
As for the buttons, do you have on your buffalo horns or wooded tonggles?
Wooden toggles all of them

Garylafortuna

Hey Burt, are you aware if anybody out there makes a version that is akin to the originals? I've heard that Buzz Rickson markets a decent repro, but at what cost. Wasn't that long ago that people were wearing
heavy wool overcoats that reached to below the knees. Winters are pretty severe here in Middle Canada.

Micawber

My, my. Original issue duffle coats used to be piled up high in surplus stores not that many years ago. They were cheap, practical and favoured by students back in the day. There was a time a little later on when you were looked upon askance if you wore one after they went out of fashion, a bit like horn rimmed specs and berets. How times change.

Feeling old.

B-Man2

Hey Burt, are you aware if anybody out there makes a version that is akin to the originals? I've heard that Buzz Rickson markets a decent repro, but at what cost. Wasn't that long ago that people were wearing
heavy wool overcoats that reached to below the knees. Winters are pretty severe here in Middle Canada.

Actually I would look for an original before searching for a Buzz for the exact reason you mentioned, the cost. An original in excellent shape can be had for about $175-$250. Keep in mind that they are fairly big and bulky but very weather efficient. If you have an interest on either a Gloverall Monty or an original let me know.
cheers