• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dude of the Day 2

ZuZu

Hey- lost in the weeds is an understatement- so let's start again- eh? Here is my Dude of the Day- Memphis Belle crewman wearing an Aero EXACTLY like I have at home here in Oakland. Same fit...

B-Man2

It’s one thing to have to wear a shirt and a tie as your winging your way at 20,000ft above your enemy , but totally different when you’re on the ground crawling around in the mud , blood and guts of the people around you and trying to stay alive in a mud and water soaked foxhole covered with logs to save your ass from the tree blasts of a German 88 . Patton demanded that all of his officers wore a tie while doing just that sort of thing . Wayyyy over the top in my opinion .

YoungMedic

It’s one thing to have to wear a shirt and a tie as your winging your way at 20,000ft above your enemy , but totally different when you’re on the ground crawling around in the mud , blood and guts of the people around you and trying to stay alive in a mud and water soaked foxhole covered with logs to save your ass from the tree blasts of a German 88 . Patton demanded that all of his officers wore a tie while doing just that sort of thing . Wayyyy over the top in my opinion .

Makes for a nice tourniquet though, probably not great for hand to hand combat

Maverickson

Hi All,
Since it is the birthday (of my size 38 Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co. size 38 (as seen here https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/happy-80th-birtday-to-my-m-422.26680/ ) I thought my M-422 jacket's original owner Lt. P. Edelle Pirtle qualified as a good candidate for Dude of the Day.

The pic reads to have been was taken on Attu with his crew. The A/C is a PV-1 Ventura which were fitted with an extra fuel tank for the 1,500 mile long combat flights. Flown from Attu to the Kurile Islands.

Lt. Pirtle is seen wearing his M-445 and he is armed to the teeth. Yes, I believe that he is also wearing a tie!
Percy's Armed VB-135 And Crew On Attu.jpg

Along with his M-422 jacket I also received his side arm and same survival knife as seen in the pic above. Apparently the knife was a gift to him from his crew. Which he was said to have preferred over his USN issue.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Hi All,
Since it is the birthday (of my size 38 Switlik Parachute and Equipment size 38 (as seen here https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/happy-80th-birtday-to-my-m-422.26680/ ) I thought my M-422 jacket's original owner Lt. P. Edelle Pirtle qualified as a good candidate for Dude of the Day.

The pic reads to have been was taken on Attu with his crew. The A/C is a PV-1 Ventura which were fitted with an extra fuel tank for the 1,500 mile long combat flights. Flown from Attu to the Kurile Islands.

Lt. Pirtle is seen wearing his M-445 and he is armed to the teeth. Yes, I believe that he is also wearing a tie!
View attachment 63820
Along with his M-422 jacket I also received his side arm and same survival knife. Apparently the knife was a gift to him from his crew. Which he was said to have preferred over his USN issue.

Cheers, Dave
Very crisp picture!

B-Man2

Looking at the tail of his aircraft, it looks like he bombed a few Japanese targets . Just wondering if the Japanese flags represent ships or general enemy targets? Anyone have any ideas? If they were on a fighter they’d be Japanese planes but I don’t think that’s the case here.

Maverickson

Looking at the tail of his aircraft, it looks like he bombed a few Japanese targets . Just wondering if the Japanese flags represent ships or general enemy targets? Anyone have any ideas? If they were on a fighter they’d be Japanese planes but I don’t think that’s the case here.

In researching Lt. P.E. Pirtle USNR I found several of his post action reports. Among those combat missions I found him engaging Japanese air craft, land targets and shipping.

The Ventura used by VB-135 had forward firing, top turret, belly guns and carried bombs. These fellows actually engaged the enemy either as a bomber or fighter.

VB-135 Ventura And Crew.jpg

The pic seen above is the same type of A/C flown by VB-135 & taken on Attu. The original heading indicated that it is a combat mission to the Kurile Islands. Note the fellows are wearing M-422a type jackets.

These guys were a courageous group of fellows. That water was cold. It was not an easy task to complete one of these 1,500 mile missions.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

YoungMedic

Yes I saw it mentioned here a few months ago and had to look it up, I'm always amazed to see something new of something you think you have seen so much of