• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dubow Popularity?

SteveN

Anyone care to guess why Dubow is so popular? Just judging by the amount of discussions, and the fact that Platon does only that contract, it seems that this manufacturer is probably the most popular of all. However I don't think the reasons have ever been discussed. Any thoughts?

ZuZu

The Dubow pattern- like Rough Wear- was distinctive. Unlike Rough Wear and Aero and like Doniger and Spiewak it was in line with 1940s fashion. The distinct nature of the Dubow is a bit easier to capture than RW and Aero- and the design is terrific with the square shoulders, rectangular body, cool collar and big pockets with those curvy flaps. It looks great and repro makers seem to have a lot easier time capturing the nuances of collar and shoulder with its design. My old Dubow...

ZuZu

I think the Dubow was actually designed to hang naturally- hence it had a very loose waistband- a detail left out by makers today but which can be easily replicated. The design lends itself to the modern build unlike again Aeros and Rough Wears which have to be fiddled with by the repro makers to look right on big upper bodies. Dick Winters had a modern 2000s type build for his time- definitely bigger shoulders and more mass than the typical mid-40s recruit like my dad who was 6' and weighed 130 pounds. Dick Winters wearing a Dubow is one of the ideal A-2 looks and one achievable today with a Platon or GW...

SteveN

I'm hearing mostly then 'fit for modern sized folks', as a common theme in some of the threads I dug up here. I'm sure the vendors have something to do with it too, but I was mainly wondering about the characteristics of the Dubow contracts vs., say, Star or SAT. Somewhere a long while back I seem to remember a web page that had a description of the various contracts and how they fit. Goodwear has some in the descriptions, but that's wasn't the original page.

Dany McDonald

Zuzu, is this a restoration? It's really nice and If so can you expand on the project? Before and after images and/or who did it?

I am interested cause I have a Dubow waiting for all the love it can get.

Thanx,

Dany

CoopDog

Dick Winters had a modern 2000s type build for his time- definitely bigger shoulders and more mass than the typical mid-40s recruit like my dad who was 6' and weighed 130 pounds.

I have a copy of my Dad’s enlistment papers. He was 6’3” and 137 lbs. He enlisted when he was 17 and the only reason my grandmother signed the papers was because she thought he was too thin and the Navy would not take him. She was wrong. They don’t make them like that anymore

B-Man2

I have a copy of my Dad’s enlistment papers. He was 6’3” and 137 lbs. He enlisted when he was 17 and the only reason my grandmother signed the papers was because she thought he was too thin and the Navy would not take him. She was wrong. They don’t make them like that anymore
6’3” 137lbs..... That’s slim ... I wonder if he picked up some weight once he went into the service.?

CoopDog

6’3” 137lbs..... That’s slim ... I wonder if he picked up some weight once he went into the service.?

Not so much in the service, but he eventually went up to around 230.

In the Navy, they had to take in his pants so much that the back pockets would have overlapped. Instead they had to cut them down both sides.

ZuZu

Zuzu, is this a restoration? It's really nice and If so can you expand on the project? Before and after images and/or who did it?

I am interested cause I have a Dubow waiting for all the love it can get.

Thanx,

Dany
Hey Dany- I bought the Dubow as is on ebay- the photos were terrible and I got a really good price. When I actually got the jacket I was shocked to find that aside from sueding it had absolutely no leather issues- no cracking or weak spots at all. The lining was messed up and the zip was a Crown with no male end. I had John Chapman put in new Dubow colored cuffs but that was all I did to the jacket. I had fun wearing it but as usual with originals I felt inhibited when I wore it. Also the sleeves were undeniably too short- but it was a fun jacket. I sold it to buy a Navy wearer- an FEC.

Dany McDonald

Well, great job in reviving that Dubow and I kind of understand the reserve when wearing originals. Hope mine is as nice as yours but the tag is missing and this is going to be hard to find...crossing my fingers. I lost hope for a crown repro and will go for Talon (Mash).

Dany.