• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dubow mfg

Brettafett

I recon you are going to be happy with the jacket. Did you go russet or seal?
If I knew sizing was not such a drama for me, I'd have ordered one also.

Pilot

I recon you are going to be happy with the jacket. Did you go russet or seal?
If I knew sizing was not such a drama for me, I'd have ordered one also.
Guess for 450 Euro its not a drama considering that its "only"450 Euro so plus minus an AVI jacket price.....but here much better metal ware and labelling...plus plus plus. (maybe and hopefully +++)... Besides...you can give your dimensions (according to the link)...so again, no drama...My 0.01 Cent input.
All the best!

Persimmon

Guess for 450 Euro its not a drama considering that its "only"450 Euro so plus minus an AVI jacket price.....but here much better metal ware and labelling...plus plus plus. (maybe and hopefully +++)... Besides...you can give your dimensions (according to the link)...so again, no drama...My 0.01 Cent input.
All the best!

It does make me chuckle ... “it’s only 450 euros”.
Not to long back that was priced as a top end jacket.

The manufacturers have turned us all into believing 1000 ( sterling/ dollars /euros ) is the norm

jeremiah

My concern is having paid for my jacket already at the BK price, what guarantee do I have it will be any different from the 450 priced one? Hence, like Brett, should I cancel and just order the lower priced one if there is a chance that will be where my jacket comes from anyway? Man, what the heck is going on here?

The description on that website states how the leather replicates wartime A2 horsehide almost verbatim to how Liberty HH is described on BK’s site.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

The manufacturers have turned us all into believing 1000 ( sterling/ dollars /euros ) is the norm

Aw Sh*t, they've sussed us out, guys..................

cartel MEMBERS.png

zoomer

Like well build jackets...Design, Fit, Quality of make, smell of odors (Cockpit/dashboard leather/woods), Engineering...all..all.,...all... (metal ) parts work like handled with a silk glove...as for all prime makers proven craftmanship... Cheap cheap is cheap cheap cheap...pays back latest when the Airbags or other made in low cost (manner or )... parts fly in your (or beloved ones) face (s)... (fingers....zips puller, buttons, buckles, cuff materials etc...)
Midpriced A-2 jackets are not actually unsafe. Maybe in a high flammability environment like a modern jet warplane.

I have to ask. Do you appreciate the difference between midmarket and downmarket goods? I have the feeling everything not upmarket is downmarket to you, and nothing else is possible.

Pilot

It does make me chuckle ... “it’s only 450 euros”.
Not to long back that was priced as a top end jacket.

Sorry I cannot remember when 450 Euro or approx 360£ was the ( price list ) price for a top end jacket in HH, with all top notch hardware etc...

Pilot

Midpriced A-2 jackets are not actually unsafe. Maybe in a high flammability environment like a modern jet warplane.

I have to ask. Do you appreciate the difference between midmarket and downmarket goods? I have the feeling everything not upmarket is downmarket to you, and nothing else is possible.
Yes I do....It makes a huge difference...in many ways and situations...
PE if I compare my “ boutique “ shirts and suits to the “clothing” some wear...also after x- times laundry and dry cleaning ( in hotels and others) it still has shape and consistance...again comparing to other things worn ( out ) by colleagues...loosing buttons , breaking zippers where and when you need them most ...happens very often to low end garnment...( during flights, during Managment meetings etc...)
Walking ( unplanned) in the rain with a high end coat or suit...still all perfect...the same with a low end “disguisement “... results in a “clown oufit” afterwards...
So my clear answer is YES! I see, live and enjoy high quality...by all means...and have no issue paying for it....hence, I have no money to waste in what I consider as “rubish”...( thats my 0,01 Cent philosophy)...
However, I do respect others point of view and accept their opinion and way of life and living... and maybe this new producer offers something valuable at a very attractive entry price...
“usual business marketing practice” ...John the top notch Irvin jacket maker from southern France ( Aces High) started exactly the same way...within a few test jackets his prices doubled if not more...
Good and perfect...why not here...check it out...lets wait and see...give it a try..

Last edited:

Juanito

I find this discussion on down market goods fascinating. While there is no doubt that the Good Wear is at the top of the market in terms of quality and price, is the marginal difference in quality, accuracy (which is becoming dubious as GW moves further into the boutique market), and finally price worth it except for the most discerning buyer?

In other words is the GW worth nearly three times something like this Dubow or the AVI? I would say no, and I would predict the high-end manufacturers are in for some rough times, and I would further argue that the upper end jacket has reached the Maturity Stage of the product life cycle, and leaves manufacturers like Diamond Dave in an untenable position.

I would like to clarify that this only relates to the repro military jacket market, not the wider market of higher end leather jackets. If anything, Aero has it right on the product mix, and I would guess that's one of the reasons GW has delved into the civilian jackets like half belts.

Last edited:

Pilot

I find this discussion on down market goods fascinating. While there is no doubt that the Good Wear is at the top of the market in terms of quality and price, is the marginal difference in quality, accuracy (which is becoming dubious as GW moves further into the boutique market), and finally price worth it except for the most discerning buyer?

In other words is the GW worth nearly three times something like this Dubow or the AVI? I would say no, and I would predict the high-end manufacturers are in for some rough times, and I would further state that the upper end jacket has reached the Maturity Stage of the product life cycle, and leaves manufacturers like Diamond Dave in an untenable position.
All a personal point of view...In IMHO ( and a lot of others as well, otherwise no such long waiting lists...and since a few years already...) yes worth 3x.
Same like for all other objects of desire...cars, watches, homes etc...all a point of view and spending ressources/ power of course... Is a Rolex realy worth minimum 20x the price of a Seiko??? plus the wait list for certain models ( Daytona S/S, 4 years...)???? For me yes and yes...plus its ( the Rolex is ) an investment...
——
I am not sure that all top notch makers will face rough times...I am convinced that all low or medium end makers will adjust to the top...sooner or later...money and profit calls...
For reference, please also consider the Real McCoy’s prices (lists...not sales..)...almost double of what John from GW is asking...and it works...

Last edited:

Pilot

Yet you talk only about low-end and high-end.

If there is no possibility of a middle market, why are these Eastern makers and merchandisers trying to make one?
To me... to start and attract...marketing strategy only...nobody works for free...not for long at least...

Last edited:
I'd surmise that this is a genuine mid-market offering. I think the price seems very fair for what the buyer might reasonably expect to actually receive. A horsehide jacket made by a skilled operative to a very decent pattern and with a more than acceptable specification in terms of knits, zip and riveted parts. For the money this is a no-brainer over the likes of AVI (inauthentic patterning and cutting, lesser quality hides, so-so hardware).

I think the problem might arise from the fact that there is apparently one machinist and the initial wait times will potentially become stretched and then stretched again. I wish the company well but wonder why they didn't have the confidence to invest and build a stock of ready-to-buy garments. According to the blurb "Long and Short sizes are not discussed as we offer only Regular sizes as standard". So the degrees of customisation one would expect from the 'high-end' makers are not offered, at least initially.

Lead times and managing customer expectations will be the issue.

Pilot

I'd surmise that this is a genuine mid-market offering. I think the price seems very fair for what the buyer might reasonably expect to actually receive. A horsehide jacket made by a skilled operative to a very decent pattern and with a more than acceptable specification in terms of knits, zip and riveted parts. For the money this is a no-brainer over the likes of AVI (inauthentic patterning and cutting, lesser quality hides, so-so hardware).

I think the problem might arise from the fact that there is apparently one machinist and the initial wait times will potentially become stretched and then stretched again. I wish the company well but wonder why they didn't have the confidence to invest and build a stock of ready-to-buy garments. According to the blurb "Long and Short sizes are not discussed as we offer only Regular sizes as standard". So the degrees of customisation one would expect from the 'high-end' makers are not offered, at least initially.

Lead times and managing customer expectations will be the issue.
Well said!

Juanito

Maybe this is what DD is to GW...

...but at less than half the price--$526 at today's exchange rate vs. $1,095 of the horsehide Triple D (Diamond Dave Dubow).

I am sure I will have to wait longer but this is more out of curiosity than need, just like the Diamond Dave Cable I bought a few years ago.