• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dubow mfg

Juanito

Nice looking jacket but do you all notice the long creases all over portions of the hide. The grain looks really odd to me in some parts. Was the hide put through a press at all during processing. Almost looks like stretch marks. This was the case with some of BK's other hides. Also, agreed, no way its Vincenza. Again, looks good overall but..............

...but for $600 for a horsehide A-2 shipped to my door by someone who appears to have some experience, I think it is a good risk. Given that a GW is $1, 500 and they take a 50% haircut on the resale, I could throw this jacket away and lose less money (not that anyone in this hobby does this to make money), and not wait as long.

Regarding the long creases--the LW horsehide has a similar trait and I have seen it on several originals as well as all the three of "cheap" Cockpit MacArthur horsehide A-2s I have owned. I highly doubt the leather on this jacketis pressed for a pattern like the later steerhide G-1s had suffered to like like goat, but I guess we'll see when the jacket comes.

What I would like to know is exactly why Vincenza or Shinki is superior to other horsehide, assuming it is top grain, etc., i.e Horween or even LW HH, and what makes it superior--the look, feel density, or wear characteristics? I wonder how an original's leather compares in today's fashionista finishing as all of the original A-2s I have had (except for maybe the Cable) appears to have a pigment finish as opposed to aniline or semi-aniline.

Ken at Aero Leather

Nice looking jacket but do you all notice the long creases all over portions of the hide. The grain looks really odd to me in some parts. Was the hide put through a press at all during processing. Almost looks like stretch marks. This was the case with some of BK's other hides. Also, agreed, no way its Vincenza. Again, looks good overall but..............

The creases that can be seen are the belly area which is usually trimmed off Front Quarters before, during or after the tanning process.
With a war raging back in the 1940s I doubt if this would have been trimmed off unless the tannery had another use for that section of the leather, gloves would be best because of the stretchiness
The occasionally a skin or two from Horween will have some of these marks, hence some of the Aero "Blue Label" jackets

More of an explaination here...http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=3482

Never seen this in the Vicenza we use but, as a google search will show, there are over 100 tanneries in the region, could have come from any of them.
It's a similar term to "North American Sheepskin" much used by replica manufacturers. It's not all the same.....like "Genuine Leather" or "Spanish Leather"

https://www.google.com/search?q=bob...sh+leather&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Last edited:

Technonut2112

My GW RW 27752 is in Shinki... OUTSTANDING hide. Not as much grain as others, but plenty of character, and just looks 'classy' in the finish JC applied. It is substantial, but buttery, and exudes quality. I seem to get compliments on it when out-n-about just about every time worn. I've read articles / viewed pics about the tannery, and they are steeped in a rich tradition of meticulous care and handling of the hides which goes back many years.. Good stuff!

That said, if I'm feeling in a truly 'authentic' mood, I'll grab my Japanese Morgan Productions HH A-2 instead. It's what I suspect to be chrome-tanned, and has a quite nice, very flat, seal brown finish, which closely resembles the bulk of originals in seal I've seen out there.. After rubbing some alcohol under the pocket flap, I was pleased to see a nice light russet peeking out, giving me a preview of things to come..;):cool: But also as the originals, it will take years, and hard wear, unlike the out-of-the-box 'boutiques'.

I consider ANY of the high-end A-2 finishes I see 'boutique' finishes.. And I would expect no less for $1000.00 USD+ jackets.. Look at near mint surviving originals... Most here would find the finish too dull and lifeless to invest in a high-dollar reproduction of it IMO..

Pilot

I think that's subjective

For instance IMO the best car ever built was the AC Cobra
The most sensible car ever built was the 1986-90 Range Rover
The most fun car ever built was the Mini Cooper 's'

Most will disagree
Ken,
IMHO:
best ever car build " Porsche Panamera SE-H "
Most fun car ever: Porsche Boxter 718 ( 2018 )......
By experience and both keepers...

Last edited:

Juanito

My GW RW 27752 is in Shinki... OUTSTANDING hide. Not as much grain as others, but plenty of character, and just looks 'classy' in the finish JC applied. It is substantial, but buttery, and exudes quality. I seem to get compliments on it when out-n-about just about every time worn. I've read articles / viewed pics about the tannery, and they are steeped in a rich tradition of meticulous care and handling of the hides which goes back many years.. Good stuff!

That said, if I'm feeling in a truly 'authentic' mood, I'll grab my Japanese Morgan Productions HH A-2 instead. It's what I suspect to be chrome-tanned, and has a quite nice, very flat, seal brown finish, which closely resembles the bulk of originals in seal I've seen out there.. After rubbing some alcohol under the pocket flap, I was pleased to see a nice light russet peeking out, giving me a preview of things to come..;):cool: But also as the originals, it will take years, and hard wear, unlike the out-of-the-box 'boutiques'.

I consider ANY of the high-end A-2 finishes I see 'boutique' finishes.. And I would expect no less for $1000.00 USD+ jackets.. Look at near mint surviving originals... Most here would find the finish too dull and lifeless to invest in a high-dollar reproduction of it IMO..

I would agree 100%. Coming from a car restoration background I will draw a parallel. The Good Wear A-2s are so perfect in terms of finish, the would be "over-restored" far beyond what came from the factory, at least the later GWs, no so much the earlier olGW as the US and Knopf jackets looked and felt far closer to originals than the later Werber, RW 1401-P, or Aero I have owned with the "boutique" hides.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken,
IMHO:
best ever car build " Porsche Panamera SE-H "
Most fun car ever: Porsche Boxter 718 ( 2018 )......
By experience and both keepers...

My choices were limited to personal experience too, sadly none proved to be keepers.
If I could have one of the three again it would be the Range Rover

Never did get on with Porsches, had a 356 and a 912.
They seem to suit others, a good friend of mine won the Jim Clark Rally in a 911 a while back, after having a 20 minute warm up in it the day before the rally, and despite the fact that she'd never sat in one before that,nor in any other rear engined car.

jeremiah

Very interesting.
I recently paid for my BK dubow 1755. Invoice had Platon’s name attached with it. So is he really not with BK or is BK starting a lower tier budget A2 option?

I hope I get the Liberty HH and not the Leather shown in these new website pics(which looks horrible to my eye judging by those pics).

Weird.

Pilot

My choices were limited to personal experience too, sadly none proved to be keepers.
If I could have one of the three again it would be the Range Rover

Never did get on with Porsches, had a 356 and a 912.
They seem to suit others, a good friend of mine won the Jim Clark Rally in a 911 a while back, after having a 20 minute warm up in it the day before the rally, and despite the fact that she'd never sat in one before that,nor in any other rear engined car.
Like well build jackets...Design, Fit, Quality of make, smell of odors (Cockpit/dashboard leather/woods), Engineering...all..all.,...all... (metal ) parts work like handled with a silk glove...as for all prime makers proven craftmanship... Cheap cheap is cheap cheap cheap...pays back latest when the Airbags or other made in low cost (manner or )... parts fly in your (or beloved ones) face (s)... (fingers....zips puller, buttons, buckles, cuff materials etc...)

Last edited:

B-Man2

I hope I get the Liberty HH and not the Leather shown in these new website pics(which looks horrible to my eye judging by those pics)

I agree, this doesn’t look like the grain or the surface quality of the BK line. Maybe that’s why the initial price offering is on the low side.

Pilot

Very interesting.
I recently paid for my BK dubow 1755. Invoice had Platon’s name attached with it. So is he really not with BK or is BK starting a lower tier budget A2 option?

I hope I get the Liberty HH and not the Leather shown in these new website pics(which looks horrible to my eye judging by those pics).

Weird.

Sorry to read that...
Hope it works out in best fashion and manners...

Pilot

I agree, this doesn’t look like the grain or the surface quality of the BK line. Maybe that’s why the initial price offering is on the low side.
agree...design is also different from BK...collar, torso shape, pockets...

B-Man2

in approx. 6 weeks we will see with the first feedback here...(according to the announced delivery time)...

Pilot
As the opening monologue from Star Trek used to say “ Going where no man has gone before us”
Or something to that effect:)
Thank you!

Brettafett

I was wondering the same. I emailed them, no reply as yet.
It could be a BK-side-line. Not a bad idea mind you, theres clearly an interest in a decently made, original-maker mid-priced A-2...
I like the look of this and I'm tempted, esp since I ordered (and paid) for my BK 1755 ages ago... its been months... No word on eta yet either. I'm tempted to 'cancel' that and try one of these (save over £300 and still get a seemingly decent horsehide Dubow), but until I hear back and have some of my queries answered, I'll wait and see.

In fact, reading their blurb... they tell us they are a one-man show, and thus the potentially for delays and long waits. And based in Athens, it can't be co-incidence, and I doubt there are two very talented artisans working in two different locations in the same city making top of the line A-2 jackets, for two different outfits... Must be a BK-spin-off.
Anyway, still a good idea, and if so, nothing wrong with that. I think Ken said it... get in there before prices go up.

Pilot

Pilot
As the opening monologue from Star Trek used to say “ Going where no man has gone before us”
Or something to that effect:)
Thank you!
Thx B-Man2...would do it without a question if I would get paid for it...but now...