• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dubow mfg

Whatsit

Does this new info effect what we know about the jacket currently? Or effect the quality of the jacket?
Just wondering

johnwayne

Interestingly I'm sure only a day or two ago I looked at BK's website and they were listed as Milton Keynes, here in the UK but, has anyone read their warranties and very strong claims? The last one is particularly interesting in that they'll replace a returned jacket with another manufacturers if theirs is deemed not so accurate! Bet that would fun, a. Trying to prove which is the more faithful repro and b. Getting the replacement from whoever and lastly c. The time this would all take!!
If I've got that right you could order a BK then complain and end up with GW 2 or more years down the line!!!

Pilot

Should have kept my RW 27752 which was by all means a pure BK invention and by all means far from accurate if compared to a WW2 RW 27752. ( just compare the pockets, the bulky sleeves and torso design) and keep my laywers busy... plus his as well...pay them doing nothing anyway...
..plus my ex A-2 from Greece was a disaster in quality of make and craftmanship...( eg neck stitching, leather dye, knitwear etc..). No more, never again.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Being as basic as possible, IMO there are three ways of pricing a product

How much can we get away with charging and still sell enough? (usually involves an Advertising campaign to establish a "perceived value)
How much do we really need the product to sell for?
How little can we get away with charging (without bankrupting ourselves) to launch a new product, new company?

When we launched our A-2 (early 1980s) we charged £75 to get our foot in the door, no internet, we used E&M, that price quickly went up to over £100 as the demand increased, ended up around £125 which is what we actually needed for the jacket

Last edited:

Whatsit

I know this isn’t anything to do with jackets but it’s similar enough that I feel I can repeat it here.
I have a friend that makes a living making Native American flutes. It’s just him making the flutes. He makes them once you order. They are extremely cheap to buy. He makes them the way it was past down to him from generations of ancestors. Because the quality is excellent and the price is too good to be true his demand is crazy high. So high that he couldn’t keep up and ended up getting kicked off of Amazon because the wait was sometimes 3-4 months. I said to him to raise the price and hire more people to help. He refused. He said this is what he wants to do. The mans a genius in his profession and there’s no changing him or his thoughts. When I talk to Platon I feel like I’m talking to my friend Grey Fox. I truly believe Platon will make these as slow as he wants. Even if it takes months. What I’m trying to say is from what I learned from grey fox and Platon is they are making a quality piece for a set cheep price that’s here to stay. But we just wait and see what happens. I’ve been known to be wrong more then I haven’t lately, but I may be wrong about that too :0)

johnwayne

Ah, good old Exchange and Mart, the weekly bible if you wanted to buy and sell anything, yes anything! That's where I got my first terribly inaccurate and flimsy A2 from Quartermasters in Islington, apparently made for the TV series 'We'll Meet Again' about an 8th AF bomber crew. I was delighted at the time but we live and learn!

Ken at Aero Leather

.rumor has it that bk is going forward with reproducing the goldsmith a-2.

Like the Number 25 Bus, none for decades then they all arrive at once :>)
25bus.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

Ah, good old Exchange and Mart, the weekly bible if you wanted to buy and sell anything, yes anything! That's where I got my first terribly inaccurate and flimsy A2 from Quartermasters in Islington, apparently made for the TV series 'We'll Meet Again' about an 8th AF bomber crew. I was delighted at the time but we live and learn!

Didn't The Clash do a photo shoot at Quartermasters on a tank? I'm pretty sure I'm right but I can't recall for which album, Sandanista? It was about that date
You were in an out of The Thrift Shop in your youth, I'm prety sure The Clash must have been blasting out on at least one occasion?

Officer Dibley

Being as basic as possible, IMO there are three ways of pricing a product

How much can we get away with charging and still sell enough? (usually involves an Advertising campaign to establish a "perceived value)
How much do we really need the product to sell for?
How little can we get away with charging (without bankrupting ourselves) to launch a new product, new company?

When we launched our A-2 (early 1980s) we charged £75 to get our foot in the door, no internet, we used E&M, that price quickly went up to over £100 as the demand increased, ended up around £125 which is what we actually needed for the jacket

Exchange & Mart .... there's a blast from the past. "Talbot House Textiles" of Malton sold on there. I remember small sized 1936 patt boots for a fiver !