• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dubow mfg

Technonut2112

Funny that.
I was looking at the same jacket, comparing a few of these Chinese repops... The 1401 seems to be the better one for me regs measurements. Looking very forward to seeing yours.
For the price, these are hard to pass...

Indeed, the 1401-P seemed the best bang-for-the-buck, compared to their other 1401-P a notch below in price. They call the one I ordered an 'advanced replica'.. ;) The 'Eastman Star' sizes wouldn't work for me as badly as I wanted one, and the 1401-P has great measurements for me. Perhaps the sleeves may be an inch too long, but for the $$, I won't mind having them trimmed to size and re-cuffed. :)

I'll start a thread soon...

Last edited:

zoomer

31230113_1955577991119944_4533095491273822131_n.jpg Not bad I'd say...click to enlarge

B-Man2

That looks pretty nice...…..its really aged well and the Carmel knits really set it off nicely.
Nice fit too!

Juanito

Indeed, the 1401-P seemed the best bang-for-the-buck, compared to their other 1401-P a notch below in price. They call the one I ordered an 'advanced replica'.. ;) The 'Eastman Star' sizes wouldn't work for me as badly as I wanted one, and the 1401-P has great measurements for me. Perhaps the sleeves may be an inch too long, but for the $$, I won't mind having them trimmed to size and re-cuffed. :)

I'll start a thread soon...

I would like to know the mechanics of how to order. I got to a point where payment information would be taken (I was ordering a Star) but could not make it past that...

Technonut2112

how do ya get the english translation for the taobao a-2s?

I would like to know the mechanics of how to order. I got to a point where payment information would be taken (I was ordering a Star) but could not make it past that...

I really didn't translate much at all. I used http://www.engtaobao.com, and more or less followed their instructions on how to place an order. I went by the pics and size charts to choose the jacket I wanted from Taobao, placed it into my cart, and went through check-out. engtaobao is about the only service I found with good reviews which would accept a Visa card as payment. The others wanted me to send a Western Union payment for the 1st order amount, which I would not do... ;) The link to engtaobao's 'tools' is here: http://www.engtaobao.com/guide/channel/tools.html Just look to the right of the page at the 'Help Category' links for more info, including 'Order Instruction' ..

Now, I am waiting for them to receive the jacket from the Taobao company that it came from in a few days. engtaobao will then take a pic of the jacket and allow me to approve it before repackaging and weighing it. I requested the listed measurements to be confirmed as well. I will then choose one of the shipping methods offered, and make the 2nd, and final payment including their 6% service fee (one of the lowest I found). It's going to be around $460.00 USD all done and said from what their cost calculator came up with by using 5 lbs as the jacket weight. It could actually be a small amount more or less. I have to wait until they get the jacket into their warehouse and weigh / repackage it.

Sound complicated? Kind of is, but it's necessary to jump through some hoops to snag one of these great-looking, seldom-seen-anywhere-else A-2 repros. Will it be worth it? Well, going by the less expensive, but excellent quality leather jackets I've purchased from China, and been VERY pleased with, I'm fairly certain "yes" going by the actual pics and higher prices... ;) The primary reason that many Chinese-manufactured goods seem cheaply-made is because they ARE... That is what the businesses who ordered the cheap goods wanted from them. If one pays a higher amount for quality goods from China, I've found that one WILL receive quality goods in most cases. That's why designers like RRL and other heavy-hitters use them for their garments.

EDIT: Here's a nice one I found made by 'Pirates'.. Appears they wanted to do a 'non' Eastman Star, and added a riveted Hookless zipper to it. Totally wrong, but still kind of cool nonetheless:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=574592995561&sku=20509:28393;1627207:6594326

There's even more less expensive, decent-looking jackets at the bottom of the page. Just paste the Taobao web address for any jacket into the search box at engtaobao.

TB2.LVWajfguuRjSspkXXXchpXa_!!924888469.jpg

Last edited:

Roughwear

Their "Star Sportswear" A-2 looks very good and would make a decent generic A-2. It does not look anything like an original Star Sportswear A-2 as the collar and pocket flaps are way off.

Brettafett

I like the look of that. I was going to give it a go... but, the measurements don't work for me, even the 42.

Technonut2112

I like the look of that. I was going to give it a go... but, the measurements don't work for me, even the 42.

I wanted one as well... :( The RW 1401-P 'Advanced Replica' I ordered is about a dead-on repro though, and except for the sleeves being about an inch too long, should fit me well. I can't wait for it to arrive.. ;)

I'm going to start another thread later today to further discuss these repros instead of here..

Technonut2112