• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dry cleaning of CWU-36 causes elastic band to shrink??

Rutger

I had a CWU-36 dry cleaned about a year ago, afterwards I noticed that there is an elastic band at the upper back between the inner and the outer shell (lining?), attached to the rear of both shoulders. I noticed because it appeared to me that after the dry cleaning the jacket would really pull on my upper back, making it very uncomfortable to wear. I never wore it since. Suspecting I might have imagined it, I nevertheless choose not to dry clean a CWU-36 ever again.

Received another CWU-36 a couple days ago, I noticed the same uncomfy stretch at my upper back when sitting, combined with the very noticable smell of dry cleaning. I think there's no cincidence there, apparently the chemicals used in drycleaning are such that the elastic band is really and quite aggressively affected. It is much tighter, so some percentage of the plasticizing agents must have been dissolved.

Two questions:
Anyone experienced the same?
Any solution for making the elastic band less tight without surgery on the jacket itself? Some magic washing stuff maybe?

thanks,
Rutger

greyhound52

Never had that problem but dry cleaning just ruins these jackets. I wash mine with woolite and air dry. Come out great no shrinkage. Oh use cold water as well.