• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Douglas “Wrong Way” Corrigan

busdrivermike

“copied from a historical site”
Douglas Corrigan, the last of the early glory-seeking fliers, takes off from Floyd Bennett field in Brooklyn, New York, on a flight that would finally win him a place in aviation history.

Eleven years earlier, American Charles A. Lindbergh had become an international celebrity with his solo nonstop flight across the Atlantic. Corrigan was among the mechanics who had worked on Lindbergh’s Spirit of St. Louis aircraft, but that mere footnote in the history of flight was not enough for the Texas-born aviator. In 1938, he bought a 1929 Curtiss Robin aircraft off a trash heap, rebuilt it, and modified it for long-distance flight. In July 1938, Corrigan piloted the single-engine plane nonstop from Californiato New York. Although the transcontinental flight was far from unprecedented, Corrigan received national attention simply because the press was amazed that his rattletrap aircraft had survived the journey.

Almost immediately after arriving in New York, he filed plans for a transatlantic flight, but aviation authorities deemed it a suicide flight, and he was promptly denied. Instead, they would allow Corrigan to fly back to the West Coast, and on July 17 he took off from Floyd Bennett field, ostentatiously pointed west. However, a few minutes later, he made a 180-degree turn and vanished into a cloudbank to the puzzlement of a few onlookers.

Twenty-eight hours later, Corrigan landed his plane in Dublin, Ireland, stepped out of his plane, and exclaimed, “Just got in from New York. Where am I?” He claimed that he lost his direction in the clouds and that his compass had malfunctioned. The authorities didn’t buy the story and suspended his license, but Corrigan stuck to it to the amusement of the public on both sides of the Atlantic. By the time “Wrong Way” Corrigan and his crated plane returned to New York by ship, his license suspension had been lifted, he was a national celebrity, and a mob of autograph seekers met him on the gangway.

9662A176-97D6-4695-98C5-5153880E8583.jpeg
D669BBED-18AA-4DC4-93AF-FFDEEEDBAF8B.jpeg
8EFB7B24-6BEA-49C9-BA85-734EA1C8E3E2.jpeg
4F09DDF4-A557-4372-BEB7-720AC10E9CDA.jpeg
70206972-B31E-4036-B647-E72962344CA6.jpeg
5FF5E013-DBEE-43D7-97AB-8B6056EAAB28.jpeg
BE885F0A-603E-4BEE-84CC-E5A05BE9EAD9.jpeg

MikeyB-17

I remember reading about this chap in ‘Ripley’s believe it or not’ when I was a kid. Initially thought that was an A-2 until I saw the lack of knits and the side adjuster straps.

MikeyB-17

I thought that. Hide looks very cape-ey, especially in the last pic. Looks like he got plenty of wear out of it!

Maverickson

Hi All,

Yes and Corrigan's jacket is the exact same make as my 1930s work jacket. Now on my drawing board https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/sheeleys-pending-1930s-utility-jacket-builds.24539/.

My jacket is in fact goat hide and seen below. That jacket is no less than 86 years old. It's hide remains nearly flawless, and the jacket's over all condition is quite remarkable.

Scully Size 38.jpg

It's Talon zip predates 1934.

1932 Scully Talon Zipper.jpg

Just recently sourced the last needed hardware. However, I had to finish my Switlik M-422 https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...-parachute-and-equipment-company-m-422.24872/ restoration before commencing. All of which was a process. Now with my Switlik's restoration behind me please look forward to seeing my rendition of this same Corrigan jacket in the next few weeks.

At that time I will add some additional vintage pix of my own.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Grant

Keep up the great work Dave. Looking forward to seeing your reproduction of this beauty. Also, hears hoping you're able to source some russet goatskin that comes close to these 1930's hides.

Maverickson

Hi All,

I've been collecting period images of Douglas Corrigan wearing this same jacket for well over a year. As a result I have quite a few vintage pix of Corrigan wearing that jacket. However, Busdrivermike beat me to the punch.

There is nothing like having vintage pics to back up either an original or reproduction jacket build. Problem being many are now of the mind set that a given jacket's entire design can be gleaned from those vintage pics.then call that particular reproduction an accurate rendition. However & contrary to my experience with these vintage jacket patterns, a picture can not even begin to tell the entire story. Moreover, a jacket built by using a one dimensional image as a sole source is simply a generic jacket.

In reality it takes having an original jacket in hand just to get close. To think otherwise you are simply fooling yourself.

Yes Grant, over the course of this year I've had several colors of fine Italian goat & horse hides specially made. All in anticipation of doing this jacket build. To include a russet to match my original.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Grant

Dave,
When you have a moment, could you please post a photo of the back of your jacket? Apologies if you've posted one before.

Maverickson

Hi,

Okay Grant!

The back panel of the jacket is unique to it's maker. Please note that I lifted the collar to reveal the original russet color.

Scully Reverse.jpg

This jacket is in over all great condition and complete. Most notably, this jacket was in fact originally made without a lining.

Every aspect of this jacket unique to it's maker's design.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: