• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't know why, but had to have...

MauldinFan

Ever just want something for no reason?
Ever since I was a kid, I'd wanted a wearable German helmet. Problem is, my noggin was always huge and originals would cost a fortune. Recently, I found the IMA repro M42 is made in my size. It just fits. I'll probably do some paint work on it, weather it a little, and include it in my US displays at living history events.
But I for sure have no real use for one...

Attachments

• 20211208_205157-01.jpeg
    20211208_205157-01.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 192
  • 20211208_155933-01.jpeg
    20211208_155933-01.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 200

MauldinFan

This is the top of the book case in the room with my model railroad layout. It speaks to my eclectic nature of what I find interesting:
20211208_205338-01.jpeg

From left to right:
  • M42 German helmet, IMA replica
  • German infantry officer visor hat, replica from Europe
  • Under that, original M1 (mid-war with the flexible chinstrap bales) WW2 US helmet with original net and painted markings for a 2nd Infantry division captain (my unit on active duty and rank when I resigned)
  • NATO M1 helmet used in "Saving Private Ryan" (turned around to see the Ranger diamond)
  • Under that, my own issued Kevlar (rare XL size) with the NVG bracket it usually had in the field,
  • Wedge Antilles Star Wars pilot helmet, (replica, of course)

Last edited:

B-Man2

View attachment 70544
German helmet, German officer hat atop my M1 WW2 US helmet with original net and painted markings for a 2nd Infantry division captain, helmet used in "Saving Private Ryan" atop my own issued Kevlar (rare XL size) and my replica Wedge Antilles Star Wars pilot helmet
Nice collection thanks for posting . The “Saving Private Ryan “ helmet is actually a 2nd Ranger Battalion marked helmet not the 2nd Infantry Division .

MauldinFan

Nice collection thanks for posting . The “Saving Private Ryan “ helmet is actually a 2nd Ranger Battalion marked helmet not the 2nd Infantry Division .
No, the first pot is marked with a 2nd infantry division insignia (I painted it myself), but you can't see the Indianhead as the German hat covers it. the 2nd Rangers helmet used in 'SPR' is to the right of that, in the order I listed them...

MauldinFan

Ive eyeballed that Wedge Antilles helmet a few times. Seriously tempted. That and the old Boba Fett.
I saw this at the local game stop. I didn't even play games, just happened to be walking by and saw it through the open window on a shelf. I even got a vet's discount, way cheaper than online. They let me pull it out of the box and try it on, and I was sold right there.
Now, I'm really into sci-fi and I have more than a few complete sci-fi uniforms and costume's from TV shows that fit me, but I can't imagine completing a X-wing pilot costume (though I loved the look ever since I was a kid seeing Episode 4 when it was in it's first run in theaters in the 70s). I've also seen the real Wedge x-wing helmet as well as Luke's entire costume in person on two occasions (it pays to know the right people) and that really made me want one.
I know it has sounds and such, but I've never put batteries into the thing, nor felt the need to.

MauldinFan

I also have screen-accurate uniforms from the Battlestar Galactica re-boot. The blues were made by Avanos, who made them under license and I found a set form a second party who apparently was a retailer and I got a great deal. Beats me when I'll ever need to wear them. But the BDUs, I got those from a friend who makes them for fans, for the Seattle display opening that showed all the mockups for the fighters...
20201207_172905-01.jpg
23503.jpg

D97x7

It happens. :D
IMG_20211031_134704.jpg

Ever since watching Steptoe and Son as a kid I wanted a life size skeleton, so when I saw one for sale at a local car boot I bought one. As soon as I got home I had no idea what to do with it, it did wear an Irvin for sometime but kept doing my head in, I found I was always double taking it, lol. He seems quite happy though now down the garden getting covered by the ivy.

Last edited:

Brettafett

I also have screen-accurate uniforms from the Battlestar Galactica re-boot. The blues were made by Avanos, who made them under license and I found a set form a second party who apparently was a retailer and I got a great deal. Beats me when I'll ever need to wear them. But the BDUs, I got those from a friend who makes them for fans, for the Seattle display opening that showed all the mockups for the fighters...
Ive always been a BG fan! Big time. Was keen on one of Anovos' Classic Viper pilot jackets

Chandler

I have a few German caps, sans insignia for the WW2 versions. But something about the shape of that helmet just screams *bad guy* to me.

When the US Military switched to the new kevlar helmet, with that very similar shape, I thought sure it would be rejected immediately. Maybe the camo cover keeps it from looking as ominous, dunno.

MauldinFan

I love that skeleton, look great out in the weeds like that. I assume it's out of view from the nearest road?
I have a few German caps, sans insignia for the WW2 versions. But something about the shape of that helmet just screams *bad guy* to me.

When the US Military switched to the new kevlar helmet, with that very similar shape, I thought sure it would be rejected immediately. Maybe the camo cover keeps it from looking as ominous, dunno.
Funny you'd bring that up. There were times on active duty when sleep deprivation would take hold and I'd start see us as a large group of German soldiers in SS camo.
MeM16sA.jpg

Seriously, after a while it just started looking that way to me, and I'm really not that big a fan of German stuff! The rifles (M16A2s back then) started looking like MP-44s, the light machine guns (M-60s as an ROTC and M249s on active duty) like MG-42s. The time it stopped looking like that would be when I saw vehicles.
It actually made it easier for me during those times when I was digging deep as I would imagine we were in the most immersive re-enactment ever put together. That way, I would consider it a fun event that I didn't have to pay to attend.
But as for the shape of the Kevlars, they came in handy because they provided much better side coverage of the head (and 82AB soldiers in Panama who got capped in the mellons while wearing them and survived proved they were indeed bullet resistant) and the shape was good for rain. I just really hated wearing NVGs on them and doubly hated when we wore NCGs and MILES gear. I think they weighed a lot more than our rifles did at that point. And you'd get the dreaded "K-pot" itch, an itching sensation that would driver you nuts because someone always just waiting to get up in the face of anyone who took their helmets of for any reason in the field.

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

For many years I have had an affiliation with the battleship Warspite see thread here :-https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/made-my-weekend.24830/
After this I decided I wanted something connected with her, and started searching EBay. I really wanted a letter opener made from her teak, but a barrel shaped match holder came up first, so I had that. Eventually a letter opener came up, with the addition of another from the Mauritania, so that was a bonus.
What I’d really like is something big made of brass (her nameplate is in a pub at Lamorna), but I think that might prove a bit expensive.
287F8B7D-E92D-425F-9AF3-D2C77FD0F05F.jpeg
3DD2000A-2BD9-4AD1-AA28-638B1781F103.jpeg

MauldinFan

That's really cool. The funny thing is I have no interest in Naval stuff other than aviation and battleships (and WW2 war correspondents in the Pacific as I'm really into that). I've been able to walk the decks of all the Iowa class battlewagons, all but the Mighty Mo when the Navy still maintain control over them (the Iowa was tied up at Philly in 1998 when I was going through the office branch course at Aberdeen, so I drove right up to her, grabbed a loaner hard hat from the case at the walkway, walked up the gangplank like I owned the place and just stood there for a few minutes before I left). I can't say why I love battleships; I just do. I guess it's the idea of something hauling around guns that large on turrets?

MikeyB-17

It’s a shame that Britain never preserved any of her battleships-there was a campaign to save the Warspite as a museum, which would have been amazing, but I do realise how expensive that is. The only big WWII warship we have left is HMS Belfast on the Thames, which I must get around to visiting. Would love to see one of the big US battleships. Best I’ve managed is diving on the German fleet at Scapa Flow-those things are huge.

Flightengineer

Of useless things (especially helmets) always wanted to have the M1 from Vietnam. I never thought about buying or searching, but once I received the original as a gift from my American colleague and friend (thoughts sometimes materialize - "protect me from my wishes (c) ") and now it is on my shelf.