• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone recognize the maker of this vintage leather jacket?

MACTON

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum however I thought it would be the best place to start.

Throughout the years I have collected numerous vintage leather jackets.....most of which have the original tag still in place. This particular jacket however does not......but it is quite unique in the fact that it has sunburst pleats on the back along with a line of fringe.....side straps also. Lastly, I truly do not know what to call the style of the front pockets.....however I would describe them as "pouch" pockets.....void of a flap fold over.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you!

Attachments

• Fringe Jacket Front.jpg
    Fringe Jacket Front.jpg
    920.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Fringe Jacket Back.jpg
    Fringe Jacket Back.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 208

Steve27752

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum however I thought it would be the best place to start.

Throughout the years I have collected numerous vintage leather jackets.....most of which have the original tag still in place. This particular jacket however does not......but it is quite unique in the fact that it has sunburst pleats on the back along with a line of fringe.....side straps also. Lastly, I truly do not know what to call the style of the front pockets.....however I would describe them as "pouch" pockets.....void of a flap fold over.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you!

Welcome to VLJ. And you are? way of an introduction, why not post a bit about yourself here.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/

MACTON

My name is Mark and I am 58 years old. My day job is selling printing and promo products.....my hobbies include chainsaw carving and collecting early American work wear.....especially leather products. It is my hope that someone on this site may recognize the jacket I have posted.....the curiosity is really killing me. I have never before seen such an interesting vintage leather car coat. Thanks for your message and all the best!

Silver Surfer

ya might try to google bogan tenenbaum and shanhouse. both were obscure leather jacket makers in the 40s. there are other more widely known makers from that era as well, but the fringed back seems to point to a one off maker.

MikeyB-17

Can’t find an identical one, but Custom Coat Co. Inc. of Berlin W.I. seem to have made some similar jackets, if you Google them.

Ken at Aero Leather

If there are a set of stitch holes from the original label the size/shape might help eliminate/suggest one or more possibilities......photo?

Ken at Aero Leather

Not many makers used the dart / stitched pleat above the waistband, most did what Aero do, a small pleat or pleats
That and the short fringe were the main reason for suggesting Kit Carson,