• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you consider an A-2 w/handwarmers to be a "real" A-2?

269sqnhudson

HackerF15E said:
269sqnhudson said:
I think over here it's assumed that any display of one's shiny parts must be greeted by audible accusations of showing off! My Uncle also had his Royal Marines tie clip on and my Dad (his brother) was extremely quick to jump on that, cue much laughter and manhood jokes, hee hee

It's a very English thing

Fair enough.

Having lived in the UK, I'm acutely aware of the numerous differences in cultural humor, so yours is a fair point and one that I frankly wasn't aware of. The differences in American and British culture and language are great sources of endless fun, and I'll admit that I've been the butt of a joke or two more than once when I was stationed in the UK because of these differences (like the difference in meaning of the term 'fanny' between our two languages...or 'fag'....etc.)

It may serve you well to know that this is one of the jokes we evidently do not share. Poking the same fun at a US veteran, if you are not wearing the same chest full of medals when you do it, may end up with you receiving quite a different response. Such response will likely be more negative in nature, and depending on what kind of decorated veteran you're talking to, might also include a more physical reaction. :)

Rule, Britannia.

Oh totally. Works better with family and friends, natch

Atticus

I've been a champion of the current issue A-2 since I first joined this board, now going on six years ago. Dang, time flies when you're having fun. Folks back then used to snicker at me when I posted about my Saddlery and Averix jackets, and I guess many still do. Oh well, if all of us liked the same things, it would be a boring forum.

While I don't think that the current issue A-2 is a vintage leather jacket...yet...I do think that it is an A-2. It is an A-2 because that's what the tag in its collar says it is. And because the military people wear it into combat every day think that's what it is. So, even though I don’t care for hand warmer pockets, I’m not quite prepared to dismiss the Air Force’s jacket as being something other than an A-2.

As an interesting side note, I guess at some point soon the current issue A-2 will have flown more combat missions than did the WWII A-2. Maybe it already has. The new one has been in service for more than twice as long as was the WWII A-2. Maybe someone could come up with an educated guess as to how many sorties the old jacket flew verses how many the new one has flown...to date. I’m thinking that WWII and Korea only lasted about...what?...seven years added together? And our current wars have been going on for how long? Since ’03? And there was the first Gulf War. The ‘88 Saddlerys were around for that gig. Then again, in WWII, each sortie probably required more A-2 wearers. After all, B-17s and B-24s each had a crew of nine or ten. Maybe this all could be an interesting thesis topic for someone’s doctorate in history.

AF

Monsoon

269sqnhudson said:
My Uncle also had his Royal Marines tie clip on and my Dad (his brother) was extremely quick to jump on that, cue much laughter and manhood jokes, hee hee

Royal Marines? Those guys are serious Bad Asses!!

I'd show pics of my decorations, but I have them pinned to my junk. Hey, it's painful, but chicks did the Air Medal.

Monsoon

Dr H said:
Hope you mean 'dig'?...ouch...!

Thank you for the correction. Once again, the hazards of typing with a 7month old on your lap.

And sorta getting this thread back on track, I guess it all depends on what the individual is looking for. WW2 A-2s didn't have the handwarmers, the current issue does.