• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distinctivefootwear: Cable A-2

taikonaut

The seller is advertising it as a Good Wear because of the partnership with Diamond Dave.
I'm not sure how much of an involvement of these two companies has in making these jackets but the impression are these are "quicky" seconds from the usual GW being offered to keep the cost down sold by Diamond.
Its a nice jacket.

stanier

My understanding of the relationship was to have a range of off the peg’ish GW jackets that would be available without the long wait of a John made jacket.

A great idea that feels like it’s gone wrong somewhere along the way.

When you buy an Eastman you don’t (well I don’t!) know who actually made it.

It would be nice, and if my understanding is correct, that the original idea was revisited and done properly. The two plus years wait for a genuine JC GW is beyond anything reasonable, IMHO and if I were in that queue seeing John produce other jacket prototypes that we here pour over, would have me frustrated and just thinking, make my jacket please!

Don’t have GW and DD, just have one GW that makes a small number of contracts, even just one, good GW standard jacket that stands up to its GW pedigree. Otherwise don’t bother.

That Pilot DD jacket was a poor show and just devalues the venture.

I’m not anti DD, he’s a great guy and my made to measure Flighter whilst rarely worn, is ace and something I’m hanging on to. It’s just the jacket side needs work, IMHO.

taikonaut

Does anyone know who made these, JC or DD?
I can understand quick turn around jackets not deserving the GW label, even different hide by the same hand. Good hides are reserved for better jackets, etc.

Pilot

I can understand quick turn around jackets not deserving the GW label, even different hide by the same hand. Good hides are reserved for better jackets, etc.
Definitly DD.

johnwayne

DD's gone very quiet of late, I know he experienced some flak on FL and I think some here and seems to have pulled out of the hat making operation all together, although I may be wrong. Guess the demand for WWII hats is quite limited hence his teaming up with JC but from what I saw his offerings were a class apart, his Luftwaffe types looked indistinguishable from originals.

Pilot

DD's gone very quiet of late, I know he experienced some flak on FL and I think some here and seems to have pulled out of the hat making operation all together, although I may be wrong. Guess the demand for WWII hats is quite limited hence his teaming up with JC but from what I saw his offerings were a class apart, his Luftwaffe types looked indistinguishable from originals.
Please kindly share some photos of a DD Luftwaffe jacket. Thx.

Micawber

Without a doubt the jacket in both links you provided are one and the same. I looked quite closely.

If that is the case does it mean this Distinctivefootwear seller is harvesting jackets from VLJ & FL etc members or is there some other explanaition for the relatively large amount that are listed in batches.

Dom

Is there any way to tell the difference between a GW and DD jacket? Do they both have a “made of genuine front quarter horse” tag inside the left pocket?

Juanito

Diamond Dave made this with less than a 3 week turnaround. The leather is totally different from anything JC offers, and this one is a chrome tanned steerhide.

Last edited:

Pilot

Diana Dave made this with less than a week turnaround. The leather is totally different from anything JC offers, and this one is a chrome tanned steerhide.
Absolutely, ...plus the GW jackets never have “blousy eg. 2 sizes larger” looking liner and arms... Check out the GW website and compare.

Juanito

Is there any way to tell the difference between a GW and DD jacket? Do they both have a “made of genuine front quarter horse” tag inside the left pocket?
This one won't because it is steerhide. What I will say, though is that about half the GW jackets I have personally owned that were horsehide did not have the horsehide tag in the pocket.

Batmobile66

Comparing the two sets of pictures, the smaller ink stamp does not look to be at the same vertical location relative to the tag. Thoughts?

seres

Batmobile66 is right... when you align and size the labels in Photoshop, Juanito's small stamp is larger and placed higher than the Ebay jacket. And if you mentally straighten the lining on the Ebay jacket, the small stamp is placed even lower. I don't think it's the same jacket.

Attachments

• Cable-label.jpg
    Cable-label.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 192

Dany McDonald

If you compare the lower back panel,between the knits and the middle of the back, the creases are identical on both jacket... Creases don't lie.

I think Juanito is correct this jacket is being advertised as another maker. That doesn't mean that the seller is aware of this....

D

Last edited:

Juanito

Comparing the two sets of pictures, the smaller ink stamp does not look to be at the same vertical location relative to the tag. Thoughts?
Not sure on the ink stamping given that it is on cloth. I think the larger coincidence in the area around the ink stamp is the fold of the liner near the ink stamp which is a function if how it was sewn to the collar. The cloth is pulled.

I am going off the creasing of the back panel, the stitching on the inside corner of the pocket flap, the stitching gap in the collar, the leather creases elsewhere, and a couple if other things.

As I remember, DD wrote the jacket number on the inside of one of the sleeves. I think it was 56 or 66?

Members online

Latest posts