• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discussion: Would you consider buying a painted repro?

Brettafett

As a 'creative' type myself, I can certainly appreciate painted flight jackets, I have a number of books on the subject.
I would not buy a painted jacket, but I would certainly love to paint one of my own, (but not one of the top-tier jackets).
I'd prefer something more subtle and clean, over very loud, so an image on the back is fine, but not adorned with squadron patches and rank etc also.

Regarding the subject matter, well thats a matter of personal preference... I get the tribute idea, to copy something from the period that resonates with you or an image you like...
But I also like the idea of painting something that has personal meaning for you, that is not directly related to any specific wartime jacket.
I really like Dmitry's painted W&G A-2, that C-47 painted on the back that he loves, its not copied off any original jacket, but it has a classic WW2 feel to it. Love that idea.

I have a few of ideas for my jacket/s, when I get around to it.
I have one idea, based on an original painted WW2 A-2 that I simply think looks awesome! This one is itching to find its way onto an AVI Bronco.
Then there are a couple of other ideas, loosely based on some painted WW2 jackets I've seen, or planes, images I like.
I also have some original ideas of my own, with WW2 subject matter, same look and feel.

(Gosh I may need more jackets!!!)

Dr H

No, I prefer plain jackets as they are worn regularly in a variety of situations.

Whatsit

Just trying to stimulate a little discussion.
I purchased a Lost Worlds hand painted reproduction A2 off EBay.The jacket is painted with the logo of a B-17 named "Carolina Moon" Beautiful art work, but I can't really see myself ever wearing the jacket unless I'm at a air show, which I consistently go to every 5 years or so ( what!). So what about it ... anyone out there think this was a good idea. Ok if you do,.....you may want to reconsider your opinion when you see the logo. While it's typical of WWII nose art , it would probably get me branded as a male chauvinist by today's standards. Might even get me doused with some paint as well . Now you're asking yourself "Why did he buy the danm thing? My answer; It just looked cool.o_O
I’d buy one definitely. But not that sort of jacket. I’m currently deciding to paint on now and my wife says no pin up girls. So that’s my answer about this jacket, but is very cool

B-Man2

IMHO a painted jacket is like a wife ( husband) you cannot divorce...looks nice but nobody wants to pay for it...

I agree , unless we are talking about an original .
Then it’s someone else’s wife you want to steal away from the guy who’s married to her, as cheaply as possible:D

Pilot

6D04AECC-A5D9-4290-A709-D5A9D82CD208.jpeg

B-Man2

I think I know that guy!!:eek:
Sooo funny ..... getting taken to the cleaners in divorce court.... that’s the one defining factor that connects all men , regardless of where you’re from. :(

Members online

Latest posts