• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dimond Dave? Is anyone in contact with him.

oose

Hi all, I've been trying to contact him for a while now without success, the last email correspondence I had with him was in November 2019 and I see that he was last here in May. I've tried without success, does anyone know if he is OK.

All the best
Stuart

mulceber

Last I heard he had switched to making masks for fighting COVID and wasn't taking orders. That was April or thereabouts. Has anyone else had information from him?

Officer Dibley

Last I heard he had switched to making masks for fighting COVID and wasn't taking orders. That was April or thereabouts. Has anyone else had information from him?

Seriously ? A master craftsman has stopped making high quality goods in order to make ineffective face coverings that anyone can make ? I bet they cost more than a Buff too...

stanier

I've sent DD messages asking about a jacket and posted here in his thread a few times. I've either had no answer, an automated message, or a single one word answer with no follow up to my attempts to continue and extend the dialogue. When he was (and he was, no doubt) the King of Flighter caps his cordiality, service and product was impeccable. I'll be nice and just say it isn't now. Maybe he has personal factors (and I wish him all the best if he does) or whatever, I dont know. But if you're looking for a jacket forget it, waste of time.

Saint-ex

I’m not sure.
Shops, restaurants, hotels... are impacted.
But what about somebody, working alone, receiving order by email.
I’m following this small world for only one year, but I think Dave’s troubles are not linked with corona.
Last year, end 2019, he was supposed to close, but he didn’t, I guess. I don’t know. He is the one to know.

Smithy

I’m not sure.
Shops, restaurants, hotels... are impacted.
But what about somebody, working alone, receiving order by email.
I’m following this small world for only one year, but I think Dave’s troubles are not linked with corona.
Last year, end 2019, he was supposed to close, but he didn’t, I guess. I don’t know. He is the one to know.

Problem is disposable income. Lots of people have lost their jobs or have had the hours that they work, and or salary reduced.

This pandemic hasn't just affected shops, restaurants, hotels. I worked for an aviation museum, not any more though because of CV.

This hasn't just had a direct impact on service industries and businesses. I know this for a fact because I lost my job because of it.

Saint-ex

Yes @Smithy my message was very reductive, I am aware of the impact of the pandemic on the whole economy.
What I meant was that an exclusively online business in a niche market like that seemed less sensitive to me during this period. For someone who works alone, which seemed to be the case.

maybe I’m wrong.

Naamavika

In his last email i got from him he assured that my jacket will be made. I didnt get any estimate when that would be. I already paid him so I guess ill just have to wait. This radio silence is a bit odd :/

Cocker

Yes @Smithy my message was very reductive, I am aware of the impact of the pandemic on the whole economy.
What I meant was that an exclusively online business in a niche market like that seemed less sensitive to me during this period. For someone who works alone, which seemed to be the case.

maybe I’m wrong.

I think you're wrong in the sense that this kind of business is non-essential, and somewhat high-end. With lots of people loosing their job, or being at risk to loose them, most of them will not risk money in luxury items that they do not "need".

mulceber

I think you're wrong in the sense that this kind of business is non-essential, and somewhat high-end. With lots of people loosing their job, or being at risk to loose them, most of them will not risk money in luxury items that they do not "need".

The "at risk" part is what's especially damaging. Plenty of people are working through the pandemic, making the same salary they always did, but won't risk buying jackets because that could all change in the blink of an eye, and they're being thrifty in case the worst happens.

Come to think of it, I should probably be doing that too... o_O

Saint-ex

Indeed, maybe some have postponed a purchase during this period.
In fact I was mostly drawing a parallel with a company which has employees like Aero Leather, which is obliged to follow government guidelines on employee protection and someone who works alone or almost and can therefore afford to continue working. Almost normally.
But yes, effect is also on the market.

ButteMT61

He was indeed making masks as last seen on Facebook.
Hoping he's well - as has been said, this thing has impacted a lot of folks and sometimes in unforeseen ways.
Either that, or it's those crazy orgies that DD had a home? :)