• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Between G-1 and M422A

MaydayWei

It's # translation difficulties, buddy. English is not my first language, although I have been using it for many years, including for work.
I just wanted to say that the jacket is good, but (alas) not my own and the photo is also not mine but taken from the network.But I wouldn't mind buying a jacket like this :)

Oh, I may have been misunderstood. I totally understood what you meant! I was just taking a crack at ya hehe ;)

MikeyB-17

The AN-J-3a (and AN-6552) was introduced in 1943 when an attempt was made to create a jacket for both the Navy and AAF (hence AN for army/navy). The AN-J-3a and AN-6552 had mouton collars like an M-422a (and were pretty much identical), the AN-J-3 had a leather collar. The AN-J-3 never really got off the ground, the AAF went for cloth jackets instead, and debate still rages as to whether AN-J-3’s were an actual issued jacket at all, as they never turn up with a military label in them. Charles DiSipio is the only person I’ve heard of who says he’s seen one with a label. John Chapman had one on the Goodwear for sale page back along which had a civilian Abercrombie and Fitch label in it, but which he said had all the hallmarks of a Willis and Geiger jacket. There was an interesting discussion here a while back regarding the AAF procurement process for the AN-J-3, and I forget if we ever came to any conclusions.

mulceber

Good summary, Mikey. If we're recalling the same thread, I think someone did some digging and found evidence that the AN-J-3 had been issued by the Air Force, but obviously not in any large numbers.

MikeyB-17

Yeah somebody here did some very diligent research, and to my shame I don’t remember who it was or the conclusions which were arrived at.