• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Between G-1 and M422A

Griffon_301

To chime in, these are my ELC Repros of the M-422a and the G-1...
The collar in the M-422a is much more pointed but that might be because the ELC 422 was modelled after a G&F contract and those featured that more pointed collar form or so I was told...
20210218_122209.jpg

Griffon_301

Well, difficult to say...the 422 is a 46L I bought second hand so it is longer than the G-1 which is a stock size 46... I do like the G-1 a little bit more as it fits perfectly and the collar is a little bit more comfortable than the 422 one which is a bit more itchy... The additional length on the 422 is quite nice though too.. in fact I am wearing the 422 more than the G-1 these days as I bought the 422 with the intention of making it a daily wearer and the hide still needs some more graining and aging, the G-1 hide definitely looks better in that regard after 4 1/2 years of good use...
If I would have to choose one over the other, I would go for the G-1 out of sentimental reasons only though as it was a birthday present by my spouse and it started my renewed interest in flight jackets ...
The hides, the cut and the looks of both are just great on both ...

Brettafett

Never owned an ELC G-1, have had a couple M-422a over the years... but I'll admit that trying one on couple of years ago, I never wanted to take it off!
If it had had a touch more length, I would have walked out with it. My Star was a great fit, but ELC G-1 was like a body-glove.

London Cabbie

I like the rayon lining. It is less ‘catchy’ on clothes worn underneath. G1 is the most comfortable leather to wear all day in the Cab, followed by the Dubow. Maybe the cotton lining on an A2 gets smoother with age..?
Maybe the A2 needs longer to get comfortable ie: Horsehide Vs Goatskin & Cotton Vs Rayon..?

Griffon_301

I think its the overall design and cut of the G-1/M-422 that makes it so comfortable;
worn with a CPO shirt underneath, its an unbeatable combo when the shearlings and alpaca jackets are too warm and the leather jacket alone would be just a touch too cold...
the only thing I do not like on the ELC jackets is the knits; the ones on the G-1 are torn on the left sleeve (watch crown territory!) and the waist (got caught in the door closure mechanism somewhere when exiting the car);
well, I call it "time worn treatment by myself" - and as a plan B, they can still be replaced...

Flightengineer

Guys
This is the best way to get a good understanding of the collar shape differences between the different jackets .
The top collar is an M-422 collar ELC repro
The middle collar is an original Martin Lane G-1 collar .
The lower collar is a 1991 USN issue excelled G-1. I hope that helps . View attachment 53393

There are exceptions to any rule.
Not M422 but G-1 Cagleco collar - contract from 50s

s-l1600.jpg

Flightengineer

Did you just nick one of someone? Or held them up at gun-point for it?

It's # translation difficulties, buddy. English is not my first language, although I have been using it for many years, including for work.
I just wanted to say that the jacket is good, but (alas) not my own and the photo is also not mine but taken from the network.But I wouldn't mind buying a jacket like this :)