• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Between G-1 and M422A

herk115

Folks,

I've just developed an interest in the G-1/M422A series. Being a die-hard A-2 freak most of my life, I'm pretty ignorant about the Navy series of leather flight jackets. Can you guys tell me what the differences between the G-1 and the M422A are? Can you give me your opinions about which is the "coolest" of the two (and I realize that's all subjective)? Which vintage manufacturers are the best, and who makes the best repros of each? Thanks.

Cheers,

Larry

johnwayne

Hey Larry,
that description is quite basic and Im by no means and expert but in a nutshell, the M442 came first in 1940 then the suffix 'a' was added in 1941 when the pencil slot was added to the left pocket, which is slightly wider as a result. M442/a's often have silk lining and always the mouton collar - similalry early G1's which came on the scene in 1947 are just a metamorphasis. Later G1's are distinctly different if you know your jackets - although still close cut, later ones became more blousey in the body, the pocket flap became curved as opposed to sculptured and in the 60's adopted faux mouton collar and raylon linings. Check out Eastman Leather's website for a good comparison but what appeals to me about the M442/a is its likely use in WWII era, albeit many went on to see active service in Korea too. Great jackets and difficult for me to chose between a good M442/a and the A2 - I was always for the latter but since aquiring a '53 Cagleco G1 Im torn for choice - as you say very subjective!!
cheers
Wayne

Peter Graham

And there's the AN-6552 and AN-J-3A to add to the mix. Both these jackets are WW2 era although I gather that the last AN-J-3A contract was in 1947. I prefer both these jackets to the M-422A as they are a bit shorter in the body and very trim fitting. Good for us smaller guys.

Marv

1969 was the year when the faux mouton collars started to appear on new G1 contracts - I have a 1968 Martin Lane Co with the mouton collar but the 1969 contract has the faux collar.

London Cabbie

Does the M422a have a larger collar than the later G-1...?
4AC2FA95-DEF6-4B0E-8CF8-8A170271F297.jpeg
9F8FBDBA-8AAA-4899-8DB0-71B248A518E0.jpeg

Brettafett

Yes, no and it depends...

Generally, G-1's collars are a little bit smaller, different shape. But one will always find a jacket those goes contrary to this. I've seen an original 70's odd G-1 with a massive collar (don't recall the contract), it was a 42 or 44 and heavy!
ELCs M-422a has rather scalloped collar, particular to this contract.

B-Man2

Guys
This is the best way to get a good understanding of the collar shape differences between the different jackets .
The top collar is an M-422 collar ELC repro
The middle collar is an original Martin Lane G-1 collar .
The lower collar is a 1991 USN issue excelled G-1. I hope that helps .
7ACA8874-67BF-4327-AE42-4440094509A1.jpeg

London Cabbie

Thankyou Burt, that’s clarified it really well it’s the collar shape not necessarily the collar length that gives it a different look. Also is the M422a length slightly longer and hem slightly tighter in general than the G1 or does that vary a lot between manufacturers, you did mention the later G1 being slightly blowsier...

Brettafett

It varies. The M-422 pattern seemed to evolve a little into the M-422a, and then into the G-1s
You're likely to find a W&G M-422 being a bit more boxy per size, than say a G&F M-422a, which seems more fitted.
Some earlier late 40s and 50s G-1s were quite trim. I think generally it depends on the maker though.

Ive tried so many G-1s over the years, its hard to recall. My WWII F0 M-422a size 40 was an impeccable fit. Perfect in all respects.
I had an early 60s Star G-1 which was also a great fit and super comfy jacket. Both these jackets could be said to have been trim in the body, but super comfy due to the bi-swing back... also, the patterns were obviously different. The M-422a had shoulders of 17.5 and was longer in all respects. The Star had shoulders of 18.5 or so and was spot on, though the sleeves felt a touch short for my liking...

B-Man2

Was this thread raised from the dead? 2012, holy smokes...
Pretty much :)
When you’ve been here for a while, you’ll see that much of the stuff we discuss is cyclical. It comes back around every few years with the newer guys asking relatively the same questions that were asked years ago . Most of us don’t mind answering them, but honestly the old questions outnumber the new ones .
The photo I posted of the collars has been used to answer similar questions in the past . It’s just the evolutionary process with this hobby . I’m happy to answer the same questions, as it’s a sharing and learning process that gets past on . That’s how I learned and that’s how you’ll learn , and then we simply pass it on to the newer guys .
Cheers

MaydayWei

Pretty much :)
When you’ve been here for a while, you’ll see that much of the stuff we discuss is cyclical. It comes back around every few years with the newer guys asking relatively the same questions that were asked years ago . Most of us don’t mind answering them, but honestly the old questions outnumber the new ones .
The photo I posted of the collars has been used to answer similar questions in the past . It’s just the evolutionary process with this hobby . I’m happy to answer the same questions, as it’s a sharing and learning process that gets past on . That’s how I learned and that’s how you’ll learn , and then we simply pass it on to the newer guys .
Cheers

In that spirit, here is a helpful link to consolidate the 2 main threads on this:
I found the input from you, ties, and Maverickson particularly insightful to this topic.

B-Man2

In that spirit, here is a helpful link to consolidate the 2 main threads on this:
I found the input from you, ties, and Maverickson particularly insightful to this topic.
Thanks for the kind words . Your post response pretty much reenforces what I was referring to about the cyclical nature of most of the posts .

B-Man2

Thanks Burt, sometimes questions are held back because us new guys know that you knowledgeable fellas have probably been asked the same questions previously. It’s like stumbling into a gold mine of info...
Stu
Please don’t feel like you ever have to hold back with any questions. Regardless of how many times they’ve been asked, I and many other guys enjoy responding to those questions and feel a responsibility to the newer guys in that regard, because that’s the way we learned from many of the older guys who are no longer here, for one reason or another . It’s just paying it forward as far as I’m concerned .
Cheers mate .