• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between ELC 1940 and 1942 pattern Irvin jackets

Griffon_301

Hey guys!

thought I´d drop the question in here for you knowledgable guys out there....
whats the difference between the 1940 and 1942 pattern ELC Irvins? I mean I know the construction is slightly different but how about the color?
is the 1942 really much darker than my 1940 Irvin?
and size wise, does a 44 size feel much smaller than a 46? or should it be manageable with slightly less arm and body length?

reason I ask is because I could get a virtually new ELC size 44 pattern 1942 Irvin rather "cheap" and I am really toying with the idea of "adopting" it for my collection, even if it is one size less than my 1940 pattern;
as I intend to wear only thin sweaters or shirts underneath anyhow (all else would be too warm except for really Siberian winter days, which we do not have often here in Vienna), I guess a 44 would be good to go too; my B-3 is 44 and still fits and I do not look like a sausage clad in shearling :D

thanks in advance for any inputs
cheers
phil

Otter

I have a '40 pattern ELC in 44 chest, let me know if you need any measurements. As I understand the difference with later pattern is the pannel size and Sean placement. Colourwise, the fleece is "coffee with a splodge of milk", finished surface colour is a burnished chestnut. Nice jacket but mine has the nasty plastic zip reinforcement.
Edited due to overactive predictive text correction.

Last edited:

Griffon_301

Thanks a lot! What interests me most is the colour difference... I have not seen a 1942 pattern ELC in flesh and just know the pictures of it as sent by the guy who sells it..
I guess size wise the 44 should fit as well, I lost nearly 10lbs in the last 10 months so I am a little bit nearer to size 44 than I am to 46 now...

I'll attach two pics, I don't know if you mean the plastic thingie in the bottom of the top, but that jacket has it-and so does my 1940 ELC...zips are made of metal though in my jacket and on this one too...

Attachments

• 20201117_153920.jpg
    20201117_153920.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20201117_153942.jpg
    20201117_153942.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 169

Otter

Very similar, your fleece looks a shade more ginger, but so did mine in the photos. Probably due to camera and display strings. Remember kodachrome and Fujifilm colour balance ?

John Lever

The jacket has the very dark red fleece compared to the 1940 jacket that is pale brown or caramel. Some ELC 1940 jackets did have a plastic zip tab some years ago.