• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Original A-2's Come in Sizes "L"?

CoopDog

Judging from all the photos of flyers in the 1940's with very long fitting jackets, did they come in long sizes to fit those skinny post-depression, lousy chow, bodies?? I am 6'2" 182 lbs with a 43 inch chest and wear dress shirts with a 34 sleeve. I looked at the measurements of Platon's Dubo. I just cannot fit his jacket. Too short!! I have seen others comment on that regarding Platon's Dubow as well. What did tall guys, thinner than me, do to get get A-2's to fit in the 1940's? Or, maybe it was just that they wore their pants way up over their navels so it didn't matter?

Southoftheborder

One of my favourite WW2 fit pictures. In particular the tall bloke. So standard lengths for each size and make do.

060217-f-1234p-015.jpg

Brettafett

They just wore what they were given, or at least the best they could get to fit. Or what was available.
Jackets were only made in standard sizes, however, each contract had its own nuances... Some were likely better for the taller bloke, some not so much.
Have a look at Jimmy Stewart wearing his RW 1401, next to the other guys. Jimmy was 6'3 and his RW is a size 40.
This is by far the exception imo. Most of the pics I have come across show, as the guy to Jimmy's right, a roomier fit. But it did happen ;)
Jimmy Stewart.png

Look at the poor guy on the far right of the pic here...
FRE_000416.jpg

Length and fit sometimes go hand in hand, but not always.
We sometimes forget that pilots layered with their A-2 (In Pursue & Destroy Kit Carson speaks of this exactly). So in Summer, perhaps layering less. Then if someone took at pic, it would give the appearance of a looser fit compared to a pic of the same guy wearing his A-2 layered at a colder tome of year. Also Bomber cockpits were more likely heated = less layering.

Brettafett

I recall reading in a WW2 bio, can’t recall which, but the author noted that at one point he had to trade in his beloved A-2 for another. He did not mention why and I don’t recall the context (perhaps it happened when he shipped over to EU from the US). This new one was not as comfortable and didn’t look as nice. It felt stiff and he regretted letting go of his first one as it was so soft and comfortable.
Just goes to show, those guys DID care about their jacket and how it fit. At least some did. There must have been some trying on, going on...

stanier

If the tall guy was wearing denim jeans, his belt buckle would be 2 inches below the bottom of the jacket.

modern cut denim yes, vintage denim no. Vintage denim is much nicer with an A-2 anyway imho. Personally I don’t get worrying about contract details and the nuances of leather details and pairing with modern denim, but each to their own.

Micawber

Standard sizing, no fannying around with short, regular and long fits. L was not an A2 size, 34,36,38,40,42,44,46,48,50 are chest size references used. Add 2 inches to your actual chest size as measured with a tape around the chest and under the armpits and that's your size. 45 years ago, Mr Jackson the 75+ year old chap who had been tailoring all his life taught me how he always measured the chest with a finger allowance, that is holding the tape so that your fingers are between it and the tape, this would add around an inch or so to the actual chest measurement. Happy days ....suit you sir..

Technonut2112

Add 2 inches to your actual chest size as measured with a tape around the chest and under the armpits and that's your size.

Even for a military fit, 2" would be on the snug side for a jacket with no room for layering. The standard for jackets is 4-6" of chest room for movement and some layering. Personally, with a 44" chest I try for a 23.5" pit-pit (3" of room) for an A-2 when I can, but many makers including Eastman use a 24" pit-pit (4" room) for their size 44's...

Micawber

Even for a military fit 2" would be on the snug side for a jacket with no room for layering. The standard for jackets is 4-6" of chest room for movement and some layering. Personally, with a 44" chest I try for a 23.5" pit-pit (3" of room) for an A-2 when I can, but many makers including Eastman use a 24" pit-pit (4" room) for their size 44's...

Aye spot on, I got a bit carried away with the tailoring generalities and off A2's

CoopDog

modern cut denim yes, vintage denim no. Vintage denim is much nicer with an A-2 anyway imho. Personally I don’t get worrying about contract details and the nuances of leather details and pairing with modern denim, but each to their own.

I wear modern jeans except at the office and U would like an A-2 that will extend below my belt line. I need at least a 26 inch back