• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dictionary of the history of USN Naval Aviation Squadrons

MaydayWei

B-Man2

This helped immensely in establishing the historical accuracy and the chronology of my jacket's patch work; and consequently of its legitimacy as to whether it correctly reflects a naval aviator's potential career path.
Thought it would be a helpful resource to archive here.

Wei
We’re you able to confirm the authenticity of the patches on your jacket from this document ?

MaydayWei

Wei
We’re you able to confirm the authenticity of the patches on your jacket from this document ?

As best as I could, Burt.
VA-145 was only deployed once with CVAN-65 (Enterprise) under carrier air wing 9 (CVW-9) for the Jan 1969 - Jun 1969 Westpac/Vietnam Cruise.
If the jacket just had the USS Enterprise and CVW-9 patch, I'd be doubtful of its legitimacy.
But the fact its got the Hawaiin Occupation Patch (14 Jan 69 - 3 Mar 69) confirms, IMO, its legitimacy.
As for the rest of the patches, 145 flew intruders from 68 onwards and did go to Tonkin for the 69 cruise.
They also subsequently served on the Ranger. (CVA-61)

See page 212