• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DiamondDave and the new crusher

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
T-Bolt said:
deeb7 said:
greyhound52 said:
Hey what make of A-2 is that sure is nice looking.

Right click the picture .... :)

DavesHandiworkandELCHouseA-2.jpg

David,

That is not working as an active link for me.

Ted

No it's not a link, Ted, just a good clue to the A-2 maker ...

DavesHandiworkandELCHouseA-2.jpg

ausreenactor

David hit the nail on the head. It IS an Eastman House A-2. Actually a half price clear out model from the re-issue depot. Bought it last year via a Satphone in an Army Land Rover from Timor-Leste. Bit of fraud, but I needed to establish a dialling procedure for non-trained users!! The jacket was made as a trial for the War Horse, and is actually vintage russet horsehide. How Vintage? Gary knows.... This one is still breaking in, and is a little stiff in the non creased areas of the sleeves. But perfect fit...

Back to the cap...Had a deviation from the plan as I started the wet mould tactic. One which I will not do again in a hurry. Or at least not spear off to the hospital for five hours to have our first son. Hayden William Donald Couch....8 lbs 9ozs.. Big lad...Tore mum a new one!!

Got back into it this morning for another stretch out....still recovering...but happy now...As it dries it will settle nicely. Looks great...Satin finish on the badge is a bit dull for my liking, but is a crisp reproduction. Certainly not a sand cast of an arab's recollection of what it should look like..

Love it...and will probably buy more...with variations...They are cheaper than A-2s and neatly fill the shelf in the wardrobe...

Thanks for the comments...but direct them to the maker....he deserves it....

Couchy.

Andrew

Couchy, a couple of points;
- congratualtions on the birth of your Son, I have two and you will love all the boy toys you can get :D
- The jacket looks like an original- very nice leather.
- The cap looks excellent, I have an original in my collection too, but i'm wondering when you would have the opportunity to wear it- tell me- are you part of an AAF re-enactment group in Townsville? Also, the Luke made badge- are you talking the main hat device or something else?

For those who aren't (but should be) aware, Couchy's hometown in Nth Queensland was home to the largest 5thAF base in the Pacific- Garbutt Field. After Brisbane (MacArthurs HQ and close to me) it was the next big splash out by the AAF as a staging post to retake everything north from here to Japan. Some say that there are huge sealed caverns full of unused hardware and kit (yes that's right, crates of NOS unissued A-2's in the ranges adjacent to what is now RAAF Garbutt and the main Airport. That's just a bit of background.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ausreenactor said:
... off to the hospital for five hours to have our first son. Hayden William Donald Couch....8 lbs 9ozs.. Big lad..

calvindance.gif

Fantastic Couchy ..... now you'll have to reassign the inheritance. :)

ausreenactor

Howdy...

I was a passionate member of a couple of re-enactor groups in NSW and QLD. My location, and absences from home have excluded me from attending events. My collection is centred on Airborne and USAAF kit. Dress uniforms, work kit, and the associated field gear... I have enough repro kit to outfit a fire team. Have 'dress' Jump Boots and 'work' Jump Boots. The son has an unopened parcel from ELC with an A-1 Sweater in it. My size, but will open it when he gets here...

I will be attending the Museum of Army Aviation & Flying in the period kit at Oakey, QLD Oct 17-18, with the endorsement of the event organisers. Have contacted the other groups to bolster numbers of 'aircrew/groundcrew'. I am off to Oakey next year as an Instructor until my transfer is completed. I have been penned in for Long Look, our exchange programme with the Brits. All this will overlap Duxford & Beltring at tax payer expense..

Here is a pic of the dress uniforms...

DSC02518.jpg

And the flight jackets....
DSC02519.jpg

Not much scope for dressing up...but it is all here for me...and the lad, in time...
The field gear and insignia are in the war draws...next room. Off to pick up my
M1 Carbine from VIC on Monday when I drive the new car up...and all the ammo
I could not freight/ship/post.

The Townsville RAAF Museum is a living monument to the 5th AAF, and I know where
the hoardes of kit are...just not telling..I WISH..

Take care..

ausreenactor

Problem solv-ed!!

Located a stainless steel Tool, Stretching, Crusher, Cap, Diamond Flighter in 7 1/4".

Pretty much a steamer/saucepan!! Perfect fit - again! ...now in the fresh air drying out...

Lurkin Gooood!!

DiamondDave

Couchy,

First off congrats on the "lad", I know that you mentioned you were swimming in the "estrogen ocean" down there!!

Secondly thanks for the great images, with your permission I may use them on my website?

Third, Great collection of items that you have there.... and, now I wanna come to Australia and find MacArthur's stash!!

Cheers,

DD

PS, NICE LID!!

ausreenactor

'Diamond Dave',

I would be flattered to adorn the website! Would have shaved!

There are a lot of 'olds and bolds' still living here...will make a few enquiries at the RAAF Museum..

Hayden is home and about to crack the A-1 Sweater out of the bag and get the rifles out of the safe for some
'Welcome Home Son' photos..

Hat nearly dry....looking the goods...

Couchy