• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DiamondDave and the new crusher

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
We've been left out ....

Over on Dora's Hat Lounge, there's a thread about the repro crushers, and DiamondDave posted about his new creations.

Well he's also signed up here, so I thought he could shamelessly plug on VLJ as well.

We wouldn't mind, would we?

bfrench

Administrator
deeb7 said:
We've been left out ....

Over on Dora's Hat Lounge, there's a thread about the repro crushers, and DiamondDave posted about his new creations.

Well he's also signed up here, so I thought he could shamelessly plug on VLJ as well.

We wouldn't mind, would we?

Hi, deeb,

We certainly don't mind - not in the least - whether it's a plug for Dora on here or a plug for VLJ over at Dora's.

But Paddy gets pissed - doesn't like his members coming here and finding the different ways we have of expressing our opinions.

Bill French

Gents,
I'm fairly new to you all having only posted once on the other forum, but I've been collecting and doing living history for a lot of years, and so I took the plunge with David's crusher caps and I am very thrilled all around.

I requested both a Green cap with lighter-green braid, and a "Pink" cap with contrasting light green braid. The caps are simply magnificent. I have a 17 year old Lancaster brand cap and the differences are many.
This cap is made just like a real Bancroft, with 'buckrum' as the core of the body, just like originals, not the poly frame of a lancaster cap. The other materials are top notch. My cap is 100% wool, cotton, leather, satin (don't think it's silk) and look every bit like I took them back in a time travel vehicle from 1943.

In addition, David's great with communication and top-notch with customer service with me.

Can't rave enough about 'em

Dan

Caps are about going rate for a very nice solid original nowadays, the price on the ebay auction is the base but with original fabric it's a bit more. Not inexpensive, but a cap you can wear and use as these were intended to be, and not concern yourself with damaging a 'rare' example that's survived all these years, one that is pretty close to identical to wartime creations, is pretty worth it to me. I mean. I've looked for ages for the caps just as these two are, and these are right in my size and brand new. My Lancaster cap looks ok in photos, but I always knew it wasn't 'right', and my Bancroft wears with every use..

Contact David at [email protected]. Please tell him I recommended him.

Dan

archbury918

As a longtime collector, and more recently re-enacting, I can tell you this is the best repro out there.
as for cost, I think its fair,and right in line.

He has available original fabrics at the moment, including buttons. In fact that link is my cap that was made for me.
I have set it alongside my original Bancroft Flighters,and is virtually indistinguishable.

Having attended several events over the years I am fortunate to still be able to wear original uniforms, but they are over 60 yrs old. My 'Flighters' could command over $500. I strive to be very authentic in impression, and appearance. And these caps can be worn with total confidence .

So I guess it comes down to your preference. As with jackets, if you'll settle for Avirex, over Real McCoys, thats your choice.
However, I can say without reservation, you will not find a better repro cap.

Mike

DiamondDave

Gents,

First know that there was absolutely NO SNUB intended! Lol! Yes, I am the sole owner (and seamer) of Diamond Cap Co. I actually posted on another thread thinking that people here wouldn't care about crushers. Silly boy! Anyway, yes I posted about an original size 44 I. Spiewak & Sons, that I bought, and that my [new] buddy, John Chapman is reproducing for me. I have probably exhausted John with questions about period sewing techniques and all of that during my exhaustive research into WWII Crush Caps... he has been invaluable! He also owns one of the first two Officer Pink caps that I made, and will supposedly be using it in some pictorials for his jackets. I am very exited, as I admire Johns work very much. So, on to the shameless plug... My caps are constructed around a base of Military Grade, Cotton Canvas, Just like the originals...layers of Buckram are used to stiffen the front stay... and the brims are made here as well, using a copy of the original Patent Application done by Bancroft when they patented the "Curve Control" brim in 1942. With a little work and trial and error, (I only screwed up 50 of 'em) I finally figured out how they made them. My goal with this is to become the "Goodwear" of crush caps. To those who would say,... "Way, way too expensive" think about the nature of what you are getting, and I think you may see the difference. If not, than this product is definitely not for you. Just as an $880.00 Goodwear jacket probably isn't. Dollar for Dollar if you look at what an Officer was paid back then, and then consider the 15-40 dollar price tag for crushers of the day, you will see that the average is not that different. These are by NO means cheap to produce. Anyway thanks for listening to me ramble and I welcome any debate or questions that you may have. Diamond Dave

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Dave,

Welcome to the Vintage Leather Jackets forum - an asylum for jacket nuts. :D

Thanks for putting another addictive article of clothing related to the A-2 jackets at our disposal. :eek:

You'll fit in well with the other stitch counters. :geek:

Bill French

ausreenactor

Okay...

Couchy here sitting in Kandahar Air Field on the Army's computer. In an effort to improve productivity they restrict access to eBay and Hotmail. So instead, spend all day looking at WWII vendors and VLJ of course! Can someone edumacate me on the price for these "real quick". Paid $60 odd for a clone and ripped out the guts just before I headed over here. Pinks version!!! If only??

Will email the sole seamer with an RFI, but in the interim could someone please fill me in. This should be a new post under Repro's. These are the best thing since the last best thing!!

Couchy, impatient and tapping the foot...

DiamondDave

Couchy,

Thanks for the kind email, and the RFI... My reproductions in these images are all made of Original Materials...and Yes the Pink is 100% Wool and from the 1940's as well. My price is $300.00 USD for them as the images show... I also have a version of the same cap, made with modern material (blend) that I am running at $250.00 on both examples the buttons are period made and read "Made In England" on the reverse. The leather components are all made here by me. The Jumbo NS Meyer Eagle re-strike is included with the purchase, of course.

DD
SangerPink.jpg

SangerPinkSide.jpg

As has been said by David, yes, the cost isn't extremely low, but overall I believe it's a good value to someone with the mindset that a Goodwear (or any of the 'top' jacket makers) is a good and authentic value.

For the fellow who wants a cap for display, a size 6 6/8 cap might do the trick, where the cap will also be handled gingerly and looked at occasionally. For someone who reenacts and strives for absolute authenticity, and of course who is willing to part with the $$ to do that hobby, this is without a doubt the best maker out there.

David's caps are truly authentic, can be used in the way a pilot would have used his (by crushing it!) and his customer service is top-notch.

Buy once, buy the best.
Dan

fishmeok

Wow- how did you find a source for NOS wool elastique?
If I could find a modern source for something even remotely similar I'd have all my pants made out of it...
Cheers
Mark

Very Nice Hat, BTW :)

ausreenactor

Woohoo..

Found the eBay auction on the welfare net and item description explained all. EVEN Let an eBay RW 27752 slide past last night
so I had some ammo to counter the wife's inevitable threat assessment on the savings account. But should be good. Our
bub due Aug 12 has been clearly identifed by an imagery analyst as a lad, and all of this stuff will be his. My daughters are
my world, but they would look stupid in an 82nd M42 Jumpsuit. Cheaper to buy them a beret and a necklace made of garlic!!

Dave, and Diamond Cap Co, you deserve the praise. You have forged in where you identified a major gap. Now if you could make
a cheap repro A-6 Flight Boot you would be up there with Elvis...

Couchy