• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond NASA Jacket

colekwok

The jacket was made by Diamond Dave late in 2018, but I only got my hands on it a few months ago as it was sent to my far east base camp....

Anyway, here are the pictures. Enjoy.

IMG_9570-horz.jpg

IMG_9577-tile.jpg

IMG_9582-tile.jpg

Adama36

I like it.

Interestingly I was looking at the lunareplica website yesterday and thought these jackets look cool

Has anybody ever bought one of their flight jacket?

ButteMT61

I like it.

Interestingly I was looking at the lunareplica website yesterday and thought these jackets look cool

Wholenineyards

I like it.

I like mine. Not that I particularly wait for it but regarding to any/ positive comments: NASA jacket 7 in a month approx., and A-2/ G-1/ AN-J-4/ Irvin/ Tanker/ B-3/ L-2/ Deck zip/ N-2 etc..: a combined 1 in a much longer period. People apparently like the somewhat interesting colour, with a NASA Patch one can't go wrong at all, it looks sharp like an L-2 and wears as comfortable. As for myself, I wear it day in/ day out, I sit outside at night looking at the moon listening to Holst and The Planets right before diving into the "forgotten lecture 1994" featuring Carl Sagan talk and myself wondering what the hell is wrong with men (as, in a species). BTW, 4 more days until 30th anniversary of Voyager 1 looking back at The Pale Blue Dot 14 February 1990. Carl has said it all. Ausreenactor is right on spot with his Motto.

Attachments

• 20200210_210318.jpg
    20200210_210318.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 242
  • 20191017_124806.jpg
    20191017_124806.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 286

Wholenineyards

Is the material comparable to a modern flight jacket (nomex )?
Comparable in which respect? It is not Nomex but a fabric mix. Handling it feels like a CWU-106/P, it's supposed to be water resistant. If you are a Nomex purist you shouldn't go flying in these. They are a cool windbreaker.

Pilot

Mine ( sold) was 100% natural silk inside ( confirmed via the burning test ... plus the Aceton droplet ... not in the same time of course :D ) and cotton outside.
It had 50s/60s brass Talon‘s and DOT silver snaps.
Flite label was black and size was 44“ if I am not mistaken.

herk115

I got my light blue one from LunaReplicas a couple months ago and have ordered my mustard jacket for delivery sometime in March. I can say I'm extremely pleased with the blue jacket. It wears well, fits perfectly, looks and feels like the real thing. The only drawback, as pointed out above, is that it's a poly-cotton blend. I don't think the originals were Nomex, but they were probably straight cotton. The only astronaut ever to address this was Bill Pogue, in his book, where he states the light blue flight suits were "cotton poplin like the military flight suits." So I guess I can't wear it while flying, but since I don't fly anymore that's no big deal. If I wear it on a commercial airliner I'll just remove it for takeoff and landing. The thing looks very very close in color to my original Apollo flight suit and feels the same, so I think it's pretty hard to go wrong here. If you're into fine repros, might as well whip out the plastic and get one while the gettin' is good. The mustard jacket will likely be poly-cott too, even though Pogue said they were "A flame resistant fabric." I don't think he specifically said they were Nomex. But the period around 1970, when MSC-Houston started the transfer to the mustard suits, jibes with that, because that's when Nomex started seeing widespread use in flying clothing in the U.S., and the gold color was the first color Nomex originally came in (I was told that independently by two flight suit salesmen years apart). Pogue further stated the switch to the mustard stuff was a delayed response to the Apollo fire. Also, as stated above, these jackets are at best windbreakers, but since I live in a warm climate, that will work out too. And I don't feel any more self conscious in the jacket than I do in an A-2. Nobody in this town has ever heard of NASA anyway.

Adama36

I was looking at their measurements and these jackets seem to be very short! 22 inches long for a size 44. What size did you buy and how does it fit?

could you post pictures of your jacket?

Thx

ButteMT61

Some messages in the IG page:
patterned from 3 original jackets, but none were harmed since they are historic pieces. Materials have been matched to the original pieces as close as possible with custom milling and dying.

on your webpage you show two gold jackets. The colors look different but i think they’re the same type 3 jackets? One is designated “winter”. Are they indeed the same and which pics show the color you expect to ship? Thank you

they are different. The standard Type 3 (pre-orders open now) uses a poly/cotton shell material matched to our original. The winter version is a nylon outer shell, which has a different shade of gold. This is correct for these jackets, which were very rare.

So, that's what they say about it. There are two gold jackets - one more a CWU 45 and the one above...in gold or blue.

herk115

I was looking at their measurements and these jackets seem to be very short! 22 inches long for a size 44. What size did you buy and how does it fit?

could you post pictures of your jacket?

Thx

I bought a size 46 and it fits beautifully. The sleeves may look too long but really, it's a minor detail and is no problem when I'm reaching for something. All of my jacket sleeves are a bit long; it's just the way I'm built.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
I have a bit of a paunch which the jacket accommodates quite well. I'm 5-10 1/2, 185 lbs. The jacket has excellent repro Flite Wear tags inside and I should have photographed them. Sorry...my bad. I'm holding an authentic real-deal Apollo Flite Wear suit so you can compare the repro with the actual material from back then.

Wholenineyards

I bought a size 46 and it fits beautifully. The sleeves may look too long but really, it's a minor detail and is no problem when I'm reaching for something. All of my jacket sleeves are a bit long; it's just the way I'm built. View attachment 31922View attachment 31923View attachment 31924View attachment 31925View attachment 31926I have a bit of a paunch which the jacket accommodates quite well. I'm 5-10 1/2, 185 lbs. The jacket has excellent repro Flite Wear tags inside and I should have photographed them. Sorry...my bad. I'm holding an authentic real-deal Apollo Flite Wear suit so you can compare the repro with the actual material from back then.
I really like your enthusiasm, Herk, nice description oft the jacket. I concur with all. I habe a mustard colored one in the loop, too, and had a Chance to aquire a size XL Indian orange USAF Flight suit dated 1959. Colorful Combo. Enjoy the weekend!

Pilot

Congrats!
nice jackets and flight suit.
Any photos of the jacket’s Flite label?
Thx. a lot and a great WE to all.

Pilot

With a few pics and info left on my PC ( it has Talon zips, leather puller, DOT snaps , black Flite label 44R) blue cotton and orange emergency, real natural silk...with name inside “ Davis”,.,but sold...

Last edited:

Wholenineyards

A few pics and info View attachment 31952View attachment 31953View attachment 31954View attachment 31955left on my PC ( Talon zips, leather puller, DOT snaps , black Flite label 44R) blue cotton and orange emergency, real natural silk...with name inside “ Davis”,.,but sold...
Pilot, might it be a bespoke version of Simmonsbilt? Pockets a bit too slanted into the vertical? The shell a bit too blue maybe? The main bonus of the one you sold versus the Luna is the great lining. But I still think Lunareplicas did a thorough research and produced a great but not perfect niche piece of fear. Formerly Al Worden teamed up with Alexander Leather to throw out one variant for 450 GBR. Yeah, no, Not for me. 350 USD for a nice and comfortable specialty jacket is good enough for me. I am no 60s astronaut but in this jacket one can feel a bit of the exploration spirit. Cheers all.