• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond Dave - anyone in contact? / NASA jacket

MaydayWei

Hello everyone,

I hope everybody is having a wonderful labour day long weekend.
I have recently been bitten by the NASA bug and am researching potential options for a NASA baby-blue flight jacket.
To my understanding, Lunareplicas does a decent but not 100% accurate repro; particularly regarding their zippers. For example, they use a generic (but completely adequate) brass talon-style bell shaped no.5 zipper on their jackets whereas the originals used rectangular scovill gripper zipper no.5s, brass conmar bell no.5s, and sometimes a brass 'bullet' shaped 'conmatic' conmar no.5 (so far as I have seen).
To that end, I've come to learn that Diamond Dave made the closest reproduction out there with the right (or closest) zippers. However, the latest reference to his NASA jackets goes back to 2018.
So, I was just wondering if anyone could help put me in touch with Diamond Dave to inquire if he still makes them.

Thank you all in advance.
I know this is a long-shot but you don't get if you don't ask.

Cheers!

mulceber

Word is that Dave is out of the jacket business. It's a shame, because he had some nice offerings, both civilian and military.

B-Man2

DD hasn’t stopped by this forum for a while now. Last word was that he had taken himself out of the jacket and hat making business. If that’s true then he probably sold off a lot of his manufacturing equipment. I know that a while back he owed one guy on VLJ a jacket that was paid for but never delivered back at that time.

Last edited:

Juanito

He's on Facebook as he and I are "friends", but I would say from his last rant about getting out of the jacket business some time ago, he isn't making any more (then after the rant, he posted up one of the most authentic Poughkeepsie jackets I have ever seen). As Mulceber said, it is too bad--I had a DD Cable and it was a great jacket as far as construction goes; I think the problem was not so much the jackets but other aspects of his (and by default JC's partnership) "business model" as well as some customer service issues.

You can find him under David Howell or HOWL Photographic. He's in Oklahoma City.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Get a LunarRelicas...they're fantastic! Really, who cares about the zip? Every other detail on them are super, and I'm gonna add a gold one too.
Can't go wrong, IMO!
Butte
Didn’t you once post a fit pic of yours?
If you happen to have access to it could you put it up here again . The light blue one sort of interests me and I’d like to see it being worn.

CBI

Yep - go for Luna - I have a gold one and love it .................... these jackets can look a bit costume-ish though, I have gotten a few odd comments! I bought the gold so it would contrast with jeans but a blue might be in my future. Great details, material, etc.!!

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I have never handled their blue version, but their mustard version is in my opinion 80% accurate. Not bad, not bad.

Luna
F46DE4CD-C036-4A4B-8D65-4FCDCA6FE7C7.jpeg

Original
87A543BA-C055-4A0F-82AB-B01E79008B03.jpeg