• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Der Fuehrer's Face

ghq1

Interesting analogy to McGregor esp with the same label borders. I see a "THER" at the end so could be a myriad of options - farther, feather, LEATHER . . .or maybe "ALL WEATHER" given the half sun half rain logo on the left . . .

"AC" is perhaps a shortened variant of jacket so "JAC" . . .Sport Jac? Sir Jac though the Sir Jac labels used an olde English font . . .

asiamiles

Grant said:
For those of you that don't know who the real Miles is. He's one of the most knowledgeable professional vintage clothing collector/dealers in New York City. Anybody who's serious about vintage clothing knows who he is. The dude knows his sh*t.
So can't he ID the label?

The label is surely at least made made by the same co. that made the McGregor label? "All Weather" sounds a good call as the first letter certainly looks like an "A".

It probably is a McGregor label variant. The labels they used from the 30's thru the 60's were usually plays on the same motif, color scheme, etc.
When Andrew first posted the jacket on the FL (which is a thread Marcel also participated in IIRC), before the eBay auction was finished, I mentioned that the paint job was probably done in Thailand fairly recently (it so resembled the paint jobs they've been slapping on vintage civvie jackets over the past 10 years and hawking on eBay). But more importantly, I pointed out the details of the jacket's construction that clearly identify it as a piece that was made long after WWII, but Andrew would have none of it. Perhaps the original UK seller fed Andrew a line of hogwash, I dunno, but wherever the mythos behind the piece was concocted, it's just not what it hawked-as.
That the jacket sold for well under a grand also indicates to the truly knowledgeable collectors/big spenders were well aware of the jacket's dodgy provenance. The real McCoy would have fared substantially better.

asiamiles

Of course, we cannot be sure the label is original to the jacket - All Weather seems an odd name to use for such a jacket - but there would seem to be no reason anyone would put such a worn label onto a jacket, so as things stand everything points to this being a jacket made by MacGregor for a shop in Boston some time in the 1950's. The one person who can really help clear things up is the person who sold the jacket to Andrew...some time has passed since the sale but considering the striking design I would think he would remember it. Andrew, is there any way you can contact him?

dujardin

hello alllllll,

it's been a very long time I came on the forum.

finally, did someone IDed this jacket with evidence ??????

authentic WW2 jacket or post war fake ?????????

it's now 10 year I bought this jacket and still in doubt

best regards to all