• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Definate keepers ?

Peter Graham

I'm as guilty as anyone when I proclaim my latest jacket to be a 'keeper' and then when the initial enthusiasm wanes, to throw it on the bay. I'm wondering if anyone has any jackets they will never part with. So far I've aquired four jackets that I will never sell, barring some unforseen financial catastrophe. All the jackets have common factors. They are all originals, all in great condition, and for me, the most important factor that determines a keeper, they are all comfortable enough for daily wear. Here are my four 'keepers'

27753 contract A-2. Well worn but super tough horsehide and great patina.
a-2007-1.jpg

Stagg B-10. Beautiful condition and very practical.
jackets004-4.jpg

Foster Sportswear AN-J-3A. The most comfortable jacket I own.
jackets005-1.jpg

M-41 field jacket. Rare in this condition, with intact QM tag and Crown zipper.
jackets002.jpg

Roughwear

Peter, I'm as guilty as anyone about a definite keeper and then it goes on Ebay a few months later. It's either because the initial enthusiasm for the jacket has disappeared or because a better jacket comes along and one needs to recoup some funds.

So current definite keepers are:

Good Wear Doniger A2-size 42- stylish everyday wearer
Good Wear Werber A2- size 44-really comfortable everyday wearer

Rough Wear 1401p size 42-very comfortable jacket
Rough Wear 23380 size 42 (nr mint) CBI ATC
Rough Wear 27752 size 44- last contract and super grain. A good fit.
United Sheeplined 42-18777-P size 42 thick, robust horsehide.
Perry 42-16175-P size 44, nr mint
Star 42-18245-P size 42 very good condition
Aero ac 21996 size 44
Poughkeepsie ac28560 size 44 very good condition
David D Doniger 42-21539-P size 40 (fits like a 42) ultra rare goatskin jacket

Block AN 6552 size 40

B3s
Phillip's Tanning 1938 contract size 40, in nr mint
H. Bernstein size 42 (duo tone) in excellent condition
Rough Wear 42-5111-P size 42 in excellent condition
42-21700p (1942, two tone) size 42 in nr mint condition

Irvins

1933 by Irvin air Chute-extremely rare early Irvin
1938 by Irvin Air Chute, nr mint size 5 or 6
1940 by DGL size 5
1941 by Wareings nr mint size 5
1941-2 black fleece, possibly by IAC size 5
Late war multipanelled Irvin by Links-size 5

Repro
Late War dark brown multi-pannelled Irvin by ELC

Several of these jackets have been in my collection for the last two years and would be almost impossible to up-grade.

Andrew

Sorry for hijacking Pete, but we have this commercial on TV here and everytime I see it I just can't help thinking this guy is a long lost brother of yours.....he may actually look nothing like you but it's the impression I get from your pics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWYU6QKy3I8

They are actually great insurers- my MG is with them.

Fantastic jackets by the way.

And Andrew, that is one heck of a keeping list- you really need to open a Museum.

A

Anonymous

Hey Andrew sell your jackets and buy a plane.
What do you do for living?

rich

PLATON said:
Hey Andrew sell your jackets and buy a plane.
What do you do for living?

You mean you don't know about Andrew's plane collection? Why do you think he has so many jackets! :D

Atticus

My freakin' problem is the nothing is ever not a keeper. I've only sold one jacket in my life and that was so I could buy another one. In fact, since this photo, I've bought at least eight other jackets that are not in this group.

wisconsin.jpg

AF

bazelot

Atticus said:
My freakin' problem is the nothing is ever not a keeper. I've only sold one jacket in my life and that was so I could buy another one. In fact, since this photo, I've bought at least eight other jackets that are not in this group.

wisconsin.jpg

AF

Is that the entire wardrobe of the Swiss army????

Atticus

bazelot said:
Atticus said:

wisconsin.jpg

AF

Is that the entire wardrobe of the Swiss army????

I guess it could be if the Swiss Army was an army of fat-asses.

Actually, I've begun to worry about my jacket fetish. I've long ago passed having a jacket for every day of the month. I'm now fast approaching having one for every day of winter. And except for one size 46 G-1 that I bought from Jason years ago, they're all size 48 or XL.

AF