• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deck Jacket BOB DONG

Thomas Koehle

My name is Thomas and i`m addicted to deck jackets ...

Got 2 new repop deck jackets outta china - this time off the manufacturer "BOB DONG" and want to share my experiences:

I got one in both the khaki as well as in the nevy blue/darkgrey version

they have versions with just the stencil on the chest or with both chest and back stenciled (USN on chest / US NAVY on back)

fabric is pretty heavy and looks realistic compared with the material of some NOS USN coveralls I have in my collection

the colour of the darkblue version is very near to the colour of the bibs

size is both 44

clasps close tight - the grey alpaca liner is a bit itchy but fine so far

1st pic shows the khaki / OD version compared to a Bronson N1 outta my collection

haXsSuI.jpg

Bronson was washed once before

both the bluegrey and khaki version

HzMyYdD.jpg

those jackets are really heavy - will provide more info about the weight as soon as I'm back home

IZ710Ja.jpg

waSikMh.jpg

on the last 2 pics you might get an idea about the material - pockets are double layered and should carry a lot of weight

all in all i`m really satisfied with the jackets - although I do not know wether this particular N1 version (hooks with the outer pockets) ever existed

downthing is: I tossed the khaki jacket in the washer with 30 degree C - took the program for "delicate" garment and when she came out she showed light crincles in the surface - will drop some pics "after washing" asap - up to now ALL repop N1 in my collection mastered the washer - the Bob Dong jacket is the first one which "failed"

B-Man2

Nice looking collection. What's the cost of a repro compared to an original these days?

Gabe Treadway

Hi i'm wanting to buy a Bronson N1 deck jacket and the only thing I'm hung up on is the sizing. I wear a 38 in buzz rickson model and was wondering if Bronson measured the same? thank you

Leviathan

Hi everyone,
Just new to the forum, came across searching for Deck Jackets and found this threat. I could have saved a lot of time (and money) before I got my Buzz Ricksons N1 khaki Demotex in 42. Anyway, I was thinking to get a N1 with the hooks but I am not sure how comfortable these hooks are with everyday usage? Any experiences you want to share?

And: if anyone is interested in a review of the BR i am happy to share my thoughts.

Greetings from Switzerland!

Thomas Koehle

Anyway, I was thinking to get a N1 with the hooks but I am not sure how comfortable these hooks are with everyday usage? Any experiences you want to share?!

I like those hooks coz from my point of view they are much more comfy to keep the jacket closed as with Button up all the way up.

I own a very early DONG N1 with those hooks on which the clasps/ hooks got kinda lame over time nur was easy to fix using pliers (Flachzange).

I also still own the blue one on the pics which was outta later production run and those clips hold on much better.

So from my side recommended.

Garylafortuna

That is a formidable collection of Deck Jackets Thomas. I salute you sir. Do the hook versions also have the zipper on the inside? The Bob Dong folks certainly do sew up a worthy Deck Jacket.

Leviathan

So from my side recommended.

Thanks for this recommendation. Having read about the broad range of jackets you own I have no doubt that you know what you‘re talking about :).

In the meantime I came across another version of the deck jacket which I like even more and this is the Early Deck Hook Jacket which can be found here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BOB...r-Mens-Warm-Military-Uniform/32961328428.html

The seller on Aliexpress (DearyLe Zing Store) seems to be the same than on eBay (dlzlitchi2) but prices are cheaper which I have seen quite a couple of times, which I believe is due to the high fees ebay charges sellers. So I will go for the Aliexpress version and let you know how it worked out in case anybody is interested.

I have measured a couple of my jackets and compared them with the shown sizing and will go for a 42 (being 186/ 100 should work out I hope).

@Garylafortuna : the version of the Deck Jacket Thomas has shown above has the zippers - more pictures are available on dzlitchi2‘s ebay shop here: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ch/ulk/itm/173676283556

Thomas Koehle

Yeah the short version of their jacket cool also. I own one of a very early production run and still satisfied with it.

04YaFos.jpg

bJ2EBfo.jpg

0kOGNsP.jpg

LvZ1x7N.jpg

w8Q4uKh.jpg

I stand 1.90 mtr (equals 6.2") and weight is approx 95 to 100 kg (depends on season) - jacket is an XXL (44)

Last edited:

Leviathan

Hi Thomas
Thanks for the pictures -> looks really great (and a nice collection hanging in the back btw). The guy from the Aliexpress store wrote me that he is suggesting a #44. I am not planning to wear pullovers / sweaters underneath, so I don't need extra room and I don't like it to spacious. I have measured my BR N1 which should have the same thickness in terms of lining, and that comes pretty much exactly between the #40 and #42 (but feels slightly too big, so I thought the #40 should do it). Aaaah...

Thomas Koehle

Some people just like it a bit more roomy - you saw my measurements decide on your own.

Fact is Chinese garment does not run big and I do not have much space left underneath the jacket this is why I wear her mainly in spring or autumn but not in deep winter

Thomas Koehle

PS: if you wanna go realistic concerning the Color take the black/greyish one that blue I own is too bright but back then they didn’t had the darker version available in my size

Leviathan

Hi, yes I am going for the black version (what they call dark Grey) in #42 now. After extensive measuring & compairing the #42 should just fit fine (hopefully) -> will report once I have it! And thanks again for your tipps -> really helpful in my case!

Thomas Koehle

i just got News my pal sitting in China managed to get one fo rme in darkgrey in 44 - unfortunately the Version with the US NAVY stencil is already sold out in my size so i go with the unmarked Version and do stencilling by myself ...

the Color exactly matches my NOS deckpants which have the same color-tone

Leviathan

Just received the shipment confirmation from AliExpress -> so "just" another 15 - 22 days waiting time... Unfortunately we're having around 15 degrees nowadays, so most probably will not wear this one this year :-///

Smithy

Maybe I should have put this in another thread but this one seems to have a lot of Deck jacket love...

Does anyone have one of the ATF ones and are they any good?

Leviathan

Whaaaa... already three days at the customs office - it usually takes a day! Can‘t wait to get my hands on it, especially since it snowed yesterday so it‘s still the weather for wearing it...

Leviathan

Aaaah no... #@X§&%ç... Instead of the package I got a letter from the post office. The sender "forgot" to declare the value of the jacket, and they will keep it until I show them the invoice / bill for it. Then they will do the import and charge me with an extra investigation & storage fee. This jacket better fits perfect or...