• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decal roundels for USAAF

PaulGT3

Can you get the decals for the US Army Air Forces roundel so that you could
put that on the jacket like in the 40's? and does it come off? Say if a new owner
didnt want it?

Skip

Hi paul,

I've seen a few decal suppliers for sale on ebay, but haven't noticed the quality as I wasn't specifically looking for one.

Here's a couple of suppliers, I would also contact RMNZ, GW, Aero, Eastman leather as they would have the correct ones to use, the Mash one looks ok. I do believe from what i have read once on it is difficult to remove though, I reckon you could talk to any of the jacket makers for their advice:

http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/eng ... x_eng.html
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/dept-29379 ... tches.html

There is also a link I found below to removal or decals, and there are also more decal removal topics if you use the search option (visible on menu bart top right of the VLJ screen)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8612&hilit=removing+decal&start=0

PaulGT3

Thanks Skip, I will follow this up. I have two beautiful roundels from A2jacketpatches also

CBI

the MASH decals work pretty well however most all decals seem to fall apart after a while and IMO they don't look so hot when they start falling apart. Accurate yes but .............

Getting something from a2jacketpatches or having someone here paint you one on leather might make you happier ultimately.

Member Chitchat does them for a good price and its quality work as well.........

I painted this on my GW HH 39 Werber and it seems to be aging nicely:

IMG_0880_zpsc219daf4.jpg

IMG_0881_zps8640db1a.jpg

IMG_0883_zpsce1ed9f9.jpg

A

Anonymous

442.jpg
444.jpg
448.jpg
516-1.jpg
I can do anything painted, a little more costly to paint directly on the jacket due to shipping costs, but actual painting on the jacket is not bad. 91STBOMBGROUP FORMERLY CHITCHAT, or just Mark

a2jacketpatches

PaulGT3 said:
Thanks Skip, I will follow this up. I have two beautiful roundels from A2jacketpatches also
Thanks fo the compliment my friend, if you're gonna put paint on your high end jackets, I'll do them in oil based for you once I get settled in the new place. Best to use accurate materials on such accurate jackets. I probably won't be able to do it until mid March as I'm getting custom stuff done the rest of February and will need a couple of weeks to set up shop again. I've done the experimenting on actual GW leather so it's been st6ress tested and the way to go.

PaulGT3

Sean,
I am still just doing research.
I dont know and I dont plan on any Goodwears getting painted.

mulceber

Plenty of roundel options. Just factor in whether it is a 'keeper' or you might elect to move it on in the future. In my experience A-2, B-3 and D-1 jackets with decals realise lower final bids.
Interesting. I’d have thought it would be a selling point for your A-2, like jacket art often is. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:

Micawber

Plenty of roundel options. Just factor in whether it is a 'keeper' or you might elect to move it on in the future. In my experience A-2, B-3 and D-1 jackets with decals realise lower final bids.

I buy repro jackets as garments to wear not as investment potential. If I decide to flog one at some point so be it but potential return is not at the forefront of my mind when I purchase.

ausreenactor

Any art or patches will 'personalise' the jacket and taper it to either the Pacific or European theatre. Art is value adding; however, you would want to be confident you are keeping it or prepared to a lower price. The brand new BK A-2 I was bidding on (with patches, rank and a back job) sold for the same price (US$800 ish) as the second hand GW Werber that sold recently. I get that the sizes were different. With eBay fees of 10% BK get around US$730 for something that would have cost half that to patch up and paint. The GW is a 'blank canvas' and can be that way for ever...

ausreenactor

I rarely wear 'Murder Inc.' out in public. While Jerome painted jackets are getting thin on the ground I would not expect it to fetch the same price as a pristine, blank backed A-2.