• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DD/GW Bronco Goatskin - 3 Years and 5 Months in the box.

Should I crack the box and reveal the DD/GW Bronco A-2?

• Yes, it has been far too long.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No, leave it alone and let it appreciate.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smithy

Couchy...it been made to be worn
Hopefully this will be the one and let’s be honest if it’s sat in the box isn’t anyone else gonna derive any pleasure from it
Wear it in good health

Actually Blackrat touches on a point that sometimes we forget. These are jackets based on wartime examples which were made to be worn and used. Sure with this day and age where repros have gone absolutely apeshit price-wise there's that whole investment idea about them but maybe that's not the point with something which is still at the end of the day just a copy of a leather flight jacket from the middle of last century which was designed to be worn and used as a functional piece of kit.

Open it and wear it. If you want to speculate and make money on something hit the stock market. The returns are bigger (if you play it right and your broker has the knack). Stuff like repro A-2s and flight jackets are meant to be worn and enjoyed.

Skip

I totally agree with that Tim, but then we fall into that bracket, we just buy em to ear the heck out of them, Some people collect for a different purpose than ours and some fit into both points of view, trying hedge if you like.

I f I can use a different analogy:
We initially chose the Vette as an investment of sorts, which would mean it would have to be kept original and not driven as much. But then we realised how much we enjoyed driving it, probably too much, the investment side of the equation was less important, nor was it as equitable as the more I drove it the less pristine it is. And the value, while still appreciating would not be as much as if I parked it on blocks in the garage and left it alone. It’s a catch 22 situation where I think you do one or the other but that decision depends on what your prime motivation Behind purchasing it in the first place and whether that motivation changes for one reason or another over time

You know maybe the repro market is doing the same thing as the tribute market is to cars, where prices for a top notch original are so over the top that the tribute repros are now more expensive and becoming collectors pieces in their own right., which if your in Couchy’s shoes sort of makes sense

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Good point and well raised!

I have contemplated that if Hayden hangs on to it for thirty years GW and DD are long out of the jacket making business. ELC repros are worth $5K a pop. Half of us are dead and our heirs have thrown out the 'old stinky clothes' while Hayden reads my note about the box and gets to make the call. Some pondered whether there were any original A-2s in the issued packaging still. I guess this is the only old repro getting older in the packet at the moment. The majority of input says open it... I think it will get some art if I do..... Appreciate the input gents!

Couchy.

MeachamLake

220px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

ausreenactor

100%. "You may not buy it, you may not even look at it."

I have my Matchbox cars from my early days and I started buying the better ones again in the boxes. At The Front Ikes and Class As still in the packets. At The Front Camo HBTs and USMC Jackets and Buzz Rickson jackets I am keeping as new. 4 x Tankers, M41 Jacket, M42 Jacket, Mackinaw, M0951 Parka that are NWT that I am 'saving' for the lad. And around $5K worth of 1980s LS Gun Model kits. All or which are still untouched. God knows why... I suppose that goes with 'collecting''. Or it could be CDO (like OCD but the letters are correctly positioned in alphabetical order)?

D97x7

While I couldn't go that long without opening, I do find I like to look at the unopened for a few hours first and than sometimes at the jacket before trying it on, that way I at least get some enjoyment before discovering if I've picked the right size or not. :)

Thomas Koehle

100%. "You may not buy it, you may not even look at it."

I have my Matchbox cars from my early days and I started buying the better ones again in the boxes. At The Front Ikes and Class As still in the packets. At The Front Camo HBTs and USMC Jackets and Buzz Rickson jackets I am keeping as new. 4 x Tankers, M41 Jacket, M42 Jacket, Mackinaw, M0951 Parka that are NWT that I am 'saving' for the lad. And around $5K worth of 1980s LS Gun Model kits. All or which are still untouched. God knows why... I suppose that goes with 'collecting''. Or it could be CDO (like OCD but the letters are correctly positioned in alphabetical order)?

Impressive inventory - I remember those LS kits - they even had a Thompson M1928 available ...

ausreenactor

Impressive inventory - I remember those LS kits - they even had a Thompson M1928 available ...

Got one under the bed on base.

aero_yuko-img600x403-1311850449padmnl13423.jpg
DSC01838.JPG

Four more years of LS stuff on the new War Room shelf and in boxes in the garage. Have two of the L85s. And the M72A2 in kit form and one assembled. Only buy them because my Mum said I had to stop back in '85. Showed her!

Last edited:

B-Man2

This will hit four years by the time I get back. Will be listing this one on eBay too. In the box at first, then out of the box if there is little uptake or interest due to lack of new pics...
Couchy
Back when you first posted this question about “to open or not to open” the GW, I was in favor of hanging on to it unopened . But now the curiosity has gotten to me too. I know I could never have held onto this GW this long without cracking open that box. You my man, have the patience of Shaolin Monk.. Before you sell it on ebay how about just one fit picture, so we can see that beauty before it goes bye bye. Of course if you post it l, get ready for a lot of well meaning comments of
Don’t sell it / sell it, but either way one good fit pic would be great:)