• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DD/GW Bronco Goatskin - 3 Years and 5 Months in the box.

Should I crack the box and reveal the DD/GW Bronco A-2?

• Yes, it has been far too long.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No, leave it alone and let it appreciate.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ausreenactor

Gents..

Moving into the last days before I head back to Townsville and then off overseas til mid-year.

Umming and aahing about whether I should crack the box, as shipped by JC in August 2015.

Need the input of my valued peers. Half of the family say no and the other half say yes. Buzz the Wonder Dog can't articulate his intent?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Couchy.

B-Man2

At this point what does it matter?
Most of us are so impressed that you ve held out this long, if you don’t really need a jacket to wear, why not just hang onto it. The value will just continue to go up. :)
BTW What size is it;)

saucerfiend

Couchy,
No offense, but as far as I can see, DD making it isn't the same as a 100% GW, regardless of the pattern used. Now, if it was a GW made by John himself, it would really be something to hold onto. But then, if it was a real GW, I'll bet you'd never be able to keep it in the box! Especially, knowing it would fit you.

Brian

ausreenactor

Couchy,
No offense, but as far as I can see, DD making it isn't the same as a 100% GW, regardless of the pattern used. Now, if it was a GW made by John himself, it would really be something to hold onto. But then, if it was a real GW, I'll bet you'd never be able to keep it in the box! Especially, knowing it would fit you.

Brian

I have had three Goodwear A-2s and they all got moved on for one reason or another. Hide finish, appeal or a sloppy sleeve lining were the reasons. The collaborations on the pattern, the big GW label on the shipping box and having it listed on the GW site with JC wearing the actual jacket add to the intrinsic value IMO. Ripping it out just makes it another second hand A-2, perhaps with a bit of provenance. I have a several high end A-2s and only my BR Rough Wear gets 'daily wear'. That is why it has stayed packaging as shipped this long. If it was a real GW made by JC I would have only had it 18 months! ;)

Skip

Couch If it were me, I’d crack it open, and even wear that damn thing in 40’c heat

But from your last post seems like you’ve already decided?

foster

That is a bit of a dilemma. Can't exactly sell it without photos of the jacket itself, and if the only photos of the jacket are from the GW page where it was listed for $745, then it's more difficult to sell it for whatever price you want now, since the original purchase price is disclosed there.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
I just don't get this. wear the damn thing. why would you keep it in a box? especially a repr0?
Exactly, what for?
My opinion - it makes no sense.
JC's jackets are JC's, DD's ones are DD's. They are absolutely different, regardless of their packaging, regardless of who's wearing them on the photos etc.
Packaging DD's jacket into a shipping box from JC won't make any DD's jacket even a tiny bit closer to original JC's production in all its aspects, such as quality, appearance, accuracy etc.
Just two absolutely different makers.
Though DD makes nice jackets, I'd always prefer original JC's jacket over DD's one, regardless of its packaging.
So, have really no idea about any possible reasons of keeping any leather jacket into its shipping box. What for?
Moreover - it's not good for leather to keep leather jackets in its shipping boxes, esp. for such long time. It might cause to hurt the leather.
I'd never suggest do such things with leather jackets.
P.S. The jacket from the link shown above looks nice.

Last edited:

johnwayne

No matter how well it was packaged I hope it's not gained any severe creasing? An early house ELC I bought new many moons ago had a crease mid way across the back where it was folded to box it! Did eventually drop out.

seres

This reminds me of a similar “unopened box” story…

Several years ago I was trying to acquire a set of lithographic art prints. A museum had located a collector, and we met at the museum for the transaction. He had acquired the set over a period of several years, and each print remained unopened in the original shipping box for about 10 years (stored in his home). And he wanted to sell them to me in the same condition, unopened.

I insisted that he open them for inspection, and he reluctantly agreed. The first print was moldy, discolored, and worthless. So he opened another, and it was the same. His collection was worthless, and I walked out.

So I would strongly suggest that you open the box and inspect the jacket. It’s too late for a return, but continued storage in a cardboard box could damage or even destroy that jacket.

Thomas Koehle

It ain’t an original - manufacturer is still in business and producing more of the same kind of jackets - i’d open it

and btw i’m also a bit with “seres”: are you sure the jacket is still in the pristine condition like when packed? Was the box stored in a dry place all the time? Any other damages maybe from longtime storage?

I think I understand that feeling leaving something untouched just with knowing i own it but do not need to use it right now but anyway it is still a repop - yeah not a cheapo but from a manufacturer with respectable reputation but still no original ...

blackrat2

Couchy...it been made to be worn
Hopefully this will be the one and let’s be honest if it’s sat in the box isn’t anyone else gonna derive any pleasure from it
Wear it in good health

Members online

Latest posts