• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dating A2 jacket via the Talon zip

taikonaut

Hi All,
I am curious about Talon zips variation and could it reflect the date and time span of production. I have found this detail from Acme website but would be grateful if anyone could add the date to the following?

From ACME website
Early Talon zips, found on pre-war jackets, had a wide bell-shaped puller with a full-circle cutout, and attached to the slider with a simple rolled hook. Other pullers, apparently of earlier vintage, had an arc-shaped cutout at the bottom and a series of vertical lines on either side.

Next came the triple-marked Talon, so called because the name Talon appears on (1) the new vertical bar of the slider, (2) the puller tab, and (3) the stopper box. These were produced with both rectangular and the new narrower bell-shaped pullers, but the bell-shaped pullers now had a half-circle cutout. The rectangular pullers are seen on A-2 jackets much less often than the bell-shaped pullers.

The next variation was to simplify the pattern on the stopper box and remove the Talon name. These unnamed stopper boxes are often seen in a hybrid configuration with the double-marked puller/slider combination.

Finally, the Talon name was removed from the vertical bar on the slider to go along with the unmarked stopper box.
Further evolution continued, with the primary difference being the change of the cutout on the puller from a half-circle back to the full circle, but by this time A-2 production was phasing out. I have, however, seen a final contract Dubow with this puller version.

Peter Graham

That zipper is exactly the same as the one on my 1940/41 B-6. I think other factors need to be taken into consideration when dating the jacket as the zipper could have been fitted from existing stocks.

Swing

taikonaut said:
It is from an Aero Contract 21996 with red knits.

That contract was awarded sometime mid summer '41. Work on the contract ran well into '42. The bell shaped triple marked Talon generally appears on jackets made in '41 and early '42.

~Swing

taikonaut

Swing said:
taikonaut said:
It is from an Aero Contract 21996 with red knits.

That contract was awarded sometime mid summer '41. Work on the contract ran well into '42. The bell shaped triple marked Talon generally appears on jackets made in '41 and early '42.

~Swing

Thanks

Swing

Miles_Archer said:
The triple mark Talon began manufacture in 1938.

I've looked up the patent for the Talon slider we're all familiar with from 40s A-2s, and the patent is from mid 1939.

~Swing

Sorry to be unclear, my mistake. I didn't mean the slider, I was referring specifically to the sunburst stopper box, Look up that patent. 1938.

A

Anonymous

What style Talon has the rivet that attaches the bottom of the zipper to the jacket?