• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Database Corruption and PMs

A

Anonymous

I know the mods have mentioned that database corruption might have been the problem for the slowdown on the old site. This got me to thinking about the corruption on the original cornellsurgery site from 2 years ago when everyone's PMs were scattered to different users. I'm probably being a bit cautious here, but I just exported all my PMs from the old site and then deleted them from my Sent/Inbox.

mazeta

Why even use PM? I would prefer just to get emailed directly...less clicks to get to the message.

bfrench

Administrator
mazeta said:
Why even use PM? I would prefer just to get emailed directly...less clicks to get to the message.

A lot of members don't want their email contact activated.

Only other way is by PM.

Bill French

A

Anonymous

Off topic a bit but I already notice the search function doesn't seem to be working optimally, or is slow, just like the old forum ...

bfrench

Administrator
Tranquility Base said:
Off topic a bit but I already notice the search function doesn't seem to be working optimally, or is slow, just like the old forum ...

Hi, Simon,

I just stuck the word "plane" in the search line - it was instantaneous.

Tried A-2 and didn't find anything.

Same for jacket.

But all were fast - like immediately.

If I'm missing something let's find it now before it gets out of hand.

Bill French

A

Anonymous

oops, my bad ...not exactly the search function but when clicking on:
"View unanswered posts | View active topics | View new posts | View your posts"
... I got the old 'Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.' message.

bfrench

Administrator
Tranquility Base said:
oops, my bad ...not exactly the search function but when clicking on:
"View unanswered posts | View active topics | View new posts | View your posts"
... I got the old 'Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.' message.

Hi, Simon,

Mine worked as a mod and also as my registered user without mod permissions.

Anyone else having the above problems?

Bill French

STEVE S.

i was trying to get set up last night & had trouble with my avatar. i remembered seeing earlier where you & vannie were trying to get his working, so did a search for the thread & this is what i got:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: avatar.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

i tried two or three different search words & got something similar each time.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bfrench said:
.. Tried A-2 and didn't find anything.

Bill French

That's always been the problem with search, it won't recognise the hyphen, so it won't search for A-2, B-3 etc. as they fall below the 3 character minimum.

Which leaves you searching by maker .....

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: irvin.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

HHjackets

not the best way but to get around it and get some results as well as junk, use a *

irvi*

for the next two, click on the "Search for any terms" option before doing the search
a*2*
b*3*

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
HHjackets said:
.. for the next two, click on the "Search for any terms" option before doing the search
a*2*
b*3*

Thanks HH, that's helpful, and it brings up the A2's, and B3's.

Now we just need to figure out the A-2's, and B-3's.

HHjackets

deeb7 said:
HHjackets said:
.. for the next two, click on the "Search for any terms" option before doing the search
a*2*
b*3*

Thanks HH, that's helpful, and it brings up the A2's, and B3's.

Now we just need to figure out the A-2's, and B-3's.

you're welcome.
you can search for a-2 in this form
{a-2}
it actually does search for a-2, the problem is 'a' and '2' are known as stopwords ie unimportant to the database content that intentionally don't get indexed (there are too many of them) and as a result they are not searchable (ie they weren't indexed to begin with so they are not there to be found now, that's why a*2* never returns a-2, 'a' and '2' were not indexed , also minimum word length applies)
if the database is configured to search for
"a-2"
"b-3"
"a-1"
etc
then {a-2} will give results, i think!