• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darkening Mouton - is it possible?

MeachamLake

As per the thread title - is it possible to darken a mouton collar? I'm just pondering making an Aero rust mouton a little less vivid.

Is it also possible to do some hot water treatment on the collar to make it a little more bobbly and less smooth? Or is this not worth it in the long run?

robrinay

I’ve not bothered to google etc your question ref mouton but I would guess it’s perfectly doable to dye mouton as sheepskin rugs (and wool) can be bought in a variety of ‘non-sheep’ colours. Personally I’d be wary of staining the jacket in the process so I wouldn’t attempt it and I’d just wait to see what wear and sunlight did to the colour. Probably the only safe way to dye the mouton ‘fast’ (without dye coming off onto you and the jacket), would be to remove the mouton and I’d bet the dying would change the shape and maybe even shrink the mouton. Finally I’d also be wary of having a chemical dye next to my neck and face. Ref: your hot water treatment to collar question there are threads on here regarding hot water treatment and others that deal with using wetting and drying to shape the collar if you search for them. I don’t think it’s a great idea to use hot water on mouton though it could shrink the fibres and cause felting.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Hello,

I have a nice B-10 from Aero with the same rust (reddish) collar, disappointing, but my choice in the end. I came to the same conclusion as robrinay, it will be very hard not to stain the textile around the collar... But maybe a dry brush technique could make it less vivid at the expense of the natural look?
I inquired Aero for having it change and the job is complicated and probably too $$$ for the effect.

Dany

Pilot

Hi Dany,
just sell it for the best possible...and invest in anotherone...
Trying chemicals or whatsoever on the fleece part only ( avoiding the fabric...etc) huuhhuuu ...risky business IMHO.
If you dont like it anymore...surely someone will be happy with it since its a great jacket...
Just my 1 cent opinion..

MeachamLake

Hello,

I have a nice B-10 from Aero with the same rust (reddish) collar, disappointing, but my choice in the end. I came to the same conclusion as robrinay, it will be very hard not to stain the textile around the collar... But maybe a dry brush technique could make it less vivid at the expense of the natural look?
I inquired Aero for having it change and the job is complicated and probably too $$$ for the effect.

Dany

Yeah, it's a lovely shade of mouton but in my opinion just too vivid looking for my tastes. I wish they'd do a mid brown mouton again like they used to.

Dany McDonald

Hi Pilot,

Thing is, I went for a non-historical correct combination of knits/pile/collar... It will be hard to sell as it, i think.

I will post images if I get the courage to try my dry brush approach.

Dany

Pilot

Hi Dany,
OK, understood...but still, selling for whatever it brings is still better than destroying/ruining the jacket...IMHO...
Give it a try...
Good luck.

MeachamLake

Hi Pilot,

Thing is, I went for a non-historical correct combination of knits/pile/collar... It will be hard to sell as it, i think.

I will post images if I get the courage to try my dry brush approach.

Dany

I'd just sell it rather than mess about with it! Get yourself an Eastman or Buzz with the money :)

Pilot

4A24B9B1-468B-48E9-BDD9-717245310ADA.jpeg
I'd just sell it rather than mess about with it! Get yourself an Eastman or Buzz with the money :)
Agree, or a RMC Japan...the best B-10’s IMHO

MeachamLake

Hello MearchamLake,

I did give it a thought.... Will you sell yours? And is it a B-10 or G-1?

D

I never bought it Dany! I was ogling the M-422a jackets on Aero's sale page. There's one in my size on there but it has a rust collar which I wasn't so sure about. Ken was very helpful but admitted replacing the collar is probably more trouble than it's worth.

I took the plunge and have ordered an Eastman M-422a which is arriving in the mail tomorrow :) Pricey but worth it IMO. Just don't tell my girlfriend how much it cost! :O