• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-55/PU Jacket

917_k

Afternoon All,

Is anyone familiar with the CWU-55/PU jacket? I acquired this on Ebay a while ago, I think for about £15 (one of those poorly described listings), thinking if was a CWU-45 as there was no label photo on the listing and the Scovill zipper told me it was worth having. I haven't been able to find out much online about this particular specification of jacket, is it a predecessor to the CWU-45? It has a bi-swing back and the same thicker heavy lining as the 45, although the fit is a little boxier and less narrow at the waist.

Annoyingly I don't have the jacket with me as it's in storage, so these two photos I previously took are all I have, but the label reads: 'Jacket, Flyers, Cold Weather, Type CWU-55/PU. MLL-12508. DAL831-4200. Style 7759', made by Lancer Clothing Corp.

This website has some nice clear photos as well of the same jacket: https://www.sixpacjoe.com/product/6727

Would love to know a little more about it.

32CC13FD-FA47-44CF-87CF-79F4FD1510D1.jpeg

B5371D1B-68E9-41B2-9493-3FE07BDB936F.jpeg

Thanks,

Rob

B-Man2

Hi
These are great jackets for chilly days. I have a couple of the lightweight summer ones that work well with a sweater under it on cold days. The price is still fairly reasonable on these. This is a very general response but let me know if you have a specific question about them.
Cheers

917_k

Hi
These are great jackets for chilly days. I have a couple of the lightweight summer ones that work well with a sweater under it on cold days. The price is still fairly reasonable on these. This is a very general response but let me know if you have a specific question about them.
Cheers

Totally agree, very wearable jackets and perfect for a cold day. I've got a CWU-36 & 45, both of which get regularly worn. I just haven't seen the 55/PU before and wondered whether this is some sort of predecessor to the 45 or a completely different jacket altogether, if so, what is it's purpose if the CWU-45 was around at the same time?

B-Man2

Great questions
Unfortunately I can’t answer what the time lines were on the issuing of the different contracts and models. But rest assure that one of the guys here will jump in and answer your questions.
Cheers

MikeyB-17

I haven’t come across this before either. I note there’s no mention of polyamide/aramid/Nomex although it says it’s a flyers jacket, and it’s essentially the same design as a CWU. I wonder if it’s a nylon PX jacket made by a govt. contractor (which Lancer was)?

Rutger

I agree. Never heard of it, the tag has some mixed-up coding to make it authentic-looking. I'd say : a knock-off of the CWU-45 for commercial purposes. Meant to ring a bell, but not the real thing.
Could be a good jacket of course, Lancer knows what they are (were) making and they already had all the patterns. Doubt if it is nomex (if it was, they surely would have mentioned it), and certainly no government issue / contract flight jacket.

Ed Rooney

I had a nylon jacket from Avirex marked CWU-55P. It was basically a nylon version of the 45. It for more like an MA1, and was quite warm.

bn1966

Commercial nylon version of the 45 does sound the most plausible, an XL one of those would suit me just fine. I’ve got a couple of the USA Alpha nylon ones which are great apart from crap zipper pulls that keep coming off, luckily I found a repair kit that’s somewhat more robust.