• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU 36 P Sizing by Maker? Breaking In? Bi Swing Backs'?

GARY WELLS

In addition, the US Navy requires tan/brown subdued insignia to be worn with the CWU-36/P Flight Jacket. The Sage Green CWU-36/P can have color insignia patches or subdued green/dark green insignia for combat flight missions.
Not sure what the US Air Force regulations are for the CWU-36/P Desert Tan jacket?, but I have seen desert tan/brown subdued US Air Force Tactical Fighter Squadron, and US Air Force Wing patches being sold on eBay now.

Rutger

I'd like to see some numbers on the statement that Propper has denser/heavier/tighter weave Nomex. My guess is that the material is according to mil norm with tolerances.

269sqnhudson

I'd like to see some numbers on the statement that Propper has denser/heavier/tighter weave Nomex. My guess is that the material is according to mil norm with tolerances.

It’s not my experience with Propper CWU-36s. Same as the others, certainly not of any better quality or weave. Fit is on the baggier side too, especially the sleeves.

269sqnhudson

The new next gen Nomex ones are ‘expletive’ awesome though! Heavy, tough, matt fabric; tailored, sharp fit. Absolutely banging jackets.

Rutger

Uhm, are you you referring to the cloth type -36 that Ihavebeen seeing lately yet rarely? Or to some new type? I know of the MRCPS (or whatever unimaginative abbreviation it may be) which has been around for like oh 5 years. I hate my phone or myfingers. It/they they seem to hate hate the space bar and fills in wordsI didn't type.

269sqnhudson

Uhm, are you you referring to the cloth type -36 that Ihavebeen seeing lately yet rarely? Or to some new type? I know of the MRCPS (or whatever unimaginative abbreviation it may be) which has been around for like oh 5 years. I hate my phone or myfingers. It/they they seem to hate hate the space bar and fills in wordsI didn't type.

Yes the newer type 36/P in thicker less shiny aramid. I have two, love them!

GARY WELLS

The newer US Military Flight Jackets CWU-106/P are Nomex-Aramid outer shell with a Goretex waterproof lining. The Goretex is completely waterproof and breathable but makes them stiffer than a CWU-36/P Aramid Flight Jacket and tighter fitting. They do not have sage green knit wool cuffs, but have velcro strap closures at the wrist to keep rain out. They can be pricey, $250 to $300 Used Very Good Condition all the up to $499.95 New with mfg tags attached. Unless you live in a really damp, warm climate I would buy CWU-36/P Summer Jackets or CWU-45/P winter Jackets.

GARY WELLS

If anybody is interested these are the remaining 12 US Navy F-14B or F-14D Tomcat Squadrons and the year of their last cruise flying Tomcats, before they transitioned to the F/A-18A Hornet Jets. For example, the VF-41 Black Aces Fighter Squadron flying F-14B Tomcats became the VFA-41 Black Aces Strike/Fighter Squadron flying F/A-18 Hornets.

VF-14 Tophatters - Last Tomcat Cruise 2002 (US Navy’s oldest Fighter Squadron, Desert Storm 1991, OIF 2003)
VF-41 Black Aces - Last Tomcat Cruise 2002 (Shot down 2 Libyan SU-22’s in 1981, Desert Storm 1991, Balkins 1999, OIF 2003, OIF 2005)
VF-2 Bounty Hunters - Last Tomcat Cruise 2003 (Desert Storm 1991, OIF 2002-2003)
VF-102 Diamondbacks - Last Tomcat Cruise 2003 (Desert Storm 1991, OEF 2001-2002)
VF-154 Black Knights - Last Tomcat Cruise 2003 (OIF 2003)
VF-103 Jolly Rogers - Last Tomcat Cruise 2004 (Desert Storm 1991, Afghanistan 2002, OIF 2004)
VF-11 Red Rippers - Last Tomcat Cruise 2004 (OIF 2004)
VF-32 Swordsmen - Last Tomcat Cruise 2005 (Shot down 2 Libyan Mig-23’s in 1989, Desert Storm 1991, OIF 2003)
VF-143 Pukin Dogs - Last Tomcat Cruise 2004 (OIF 2004)
VF-211 Checkmates - Last Tomcat Cruise 2003 (OIF 2003)
VF-31 Felix - Last Tomcat Cruise 2006 (Afghanistan 2002, OIF 2003, OIF 2005-2006)
VF-213 Black Lions - Last Tomcat Cruise 2006 (Afghanistan 2001, OIF 2003, OIF 2005-2006)
Note: Currently ALL these Squadrons are flying F/A-18E or F/A-18F Super Hornets with enhanced radar systems.

Spitfireace

The newer US Military Flight Jackets CWU-106/P are Nomex-Aramid outer shell with a Goretex waterproof lining. The Goretex is completely waterproof and breathable but makes them stiffer than a CWU-36/P Aramid Flight Jacket and tighter fitting. They do not have sage green knit wool cuffs, but have velcro strap closures at the wrist to keep rain out. They can be pricey, $250 to $300 Used Very Good Condition all the up to $499.95 New with mfg tags attached. Unless you live in a really damp, warm climate I would buy CWU-36/P Summer Jackets or CWU-45/P winter Jackets.
Or you could also get an Army CVC Tanker jacket....got one from California for 30$ US ... by the time it got to me.. in Canada, 95$, but well worth it, and I have a CWU-45 and a CWU-36.

Spitfireace

Goretex in my experience fails eventually anyhow, and I hate the velcro cuffs, but maybe I'm not being practical enough.

GARY WELLS

4F7D25E3-92BD-4C73-BCA3-0AD7B744D5AE.jpeg

GARY WELLS

US Navy F-14B and F-14D Tomcat Squadrons Pilot Wings Name Tags & NFO (RIO) Wings Name Tags. These were worn on the left chest velcro of CWU-36/P Flight Jackets, CWU-45/P Flight Jackets, & CWU-27/P Flight Suits. (Bottom to Top, L to R):
VF-2 Bounty Hunters Fighter Squadron
VF-11 Red Rippers Fighter Squadron
VF-14 Tophatters Fighter Squadron
VF-21 Freelancers Fighter Squadron (Disestablished Jan-1996)
VF-31 Felix Fighter Squadron
VF-32 Swordsmen Fighter Squadron

GARY WELLS

US Navy F-14B & F-14D Tomcat Squadrons Pilot Wings Name Tags & NFO (RIO) Wings Name Tags (Bottom to Top, L to R):
VF-41 Black Aces Fighter Squadron
VF-74 Bedevilers Fighter Squadron (Disestablished April-1994)
VF-103 Sluggers Fighter Squadron (Became VF-103 Jolly Rogers Oct-1995, Taking over lineage of VF-84)
VF-102 Diamondbacks Fighter Squadron
VF-143 Pukin Dogs Fighter Squadron
VF-211 Checkmates Fighter Squadron