• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-36/45 questions

Ed Rooney

would you mind posting a picture? I’m not sure exactly which one you’re referring to
85F2C167-24B8-431C-B8A2-1575C25F8971.jpeg

Ed Rooney

Here's a better pic of the Massif softshell on a CH-53K crew.

Side note: Interesting group of badges on these Marines. You can see a combat aircrew badge, a naval parachutist badge, 4 or 5 aviator badges, and a unicorn, the Marine Aerial Navigator Badge

1616461719973.jpeg

MaydayWei

Here's a better pic of the Massif softshell on a CH-53K crew.

Side note: Interesting group of badges on these Marines. You can see a combat aircrew badge, a naval parachutist badge, 4 or 5 aviator badges, and a unicorn, the Marine Aerial Navigator Badge

View attachment 56120

Those softshells look like the most generic off the shelf mil-surp jackets around. :,(
And aren't flight jackets supposed to be shorter for sitting down?

Ed Rooney

Those softshells look like the most generic off the shelf mil-surp jackets around. :,(
And aren't flight jackets supposed to be shorter for sitting down?

Remember, the A-2 and M422 were designed for single-seat, open-cockpit, summer flying. The MA1 and CWU types were designed to be worn over a flight suit, which did not have a defined waist, in a time when most men wore their trousers above their navel. A vintage 1950s MA1, properly sized for the era, would fit most modern men like a sports bra.

Flying in the left seat of an OH-58, I generally found the short length of the CWU annoying and prone to riding up. I would have preferred this softshell, had it been available.

B-Man2

I’m pretty sure those aren’t flight jackets but polar fleece jackets normally worn as part of their cold weather kit under Gortex outer jackets and pants .