• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-36/45 questions

MaydayWei

The Army OG-106 jackets initially started out as aviation jackets -- the lightweight and winter weight versions. They were supposed to be part of the VN-era two-piece flight suit, also in the same OG-106 color.

Both the lightweight jacket and heavyweight jackets existed in two versions. For the lightweight jacket, the early version had unflapped pocket and the later version had flaps. It remained an aviation only item.

The early heavyweight jacket, as noted above, didn't have the opening across the back as it was initially an aviation-only item. The second pattern had the opening and was used by both aviation and armor crews.

I completed my flight training in 1986 and these are the types I was issued. The second lightweight version came with a black velcro attached for a flightsuit nametag.

Thanks for the insight. I certainly didn't know that. How'd they hold up over time and heavy real-flight wear? I tend to find the little gripper zippers quite finnicky and not very robust.

FtrPlt

Thanks for the insight. I certainly didn't know that. How'd they hold up over time and heavy real-flight wear? I tend to find the little gripper zippers quite finnicky and not very robust.
I still have my jackets. Other than being pretty faded, they're holding up very well. Very comfortable. More cloth-like than the CWU series

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I
This one is from the early pattern. But actually, this specific example doesn’t have the velcro strip on the pockets, which is the first I’ve seen like that. I own a couple of these and they hold up great over the time. I’ll do the proper review later.
8369215D-14E5-404E-BCC1-3D2EB2F6AB4B.jpeg
38CB9542-68C0-46E7-A983-521F9A70840F.jpeg

Last edited:

Ed Rooney

Love that jacket. Double stack, EIB, Sr. Aviator. Probably an enlisted grunt who went to OCS.

Any patch on the right shoulder? Combat patch was somewhat unusual in that era. Usually only the Vietnam guys, and a smattering of Grenada/Panama people.

I

This one is from the early pattern. But actually, this specific example doesn’t have the velcro strip on the pockets, which is the first I’ve seen like that. I own a couple of these and they hold up great over the time. I’ll do the proper review later. View attachment 50732

Ed Rooney

I need to find a nice CW-45, but everything on ebay is all Air Forcey looking with lots of velcro. It's the jacket I wore most, but I was not able to keep any of my flight gear.

bazzer

Hi need a bit of help got a hood coming for my cwu-45
It the hood with out the shoulder straps
Its new old stock and comes with three buttons
Any one got any instructions or pics of how these should be attached?
flyers-aramid-hood-compressor.jpg

This one above not the one below
205976-e2b7dc547088b169bb40458357556859.jpg

Thanks
Baz

Last edited:

917_k

Hi need a bit of help got a hood coming for my cwu-45
It the hood with out the shoulder straps
Its new old stock and comes with three buttons
Any one got any instructions or pics of how these should be attached?
View attachment 52587
Like this one
Thanks
Baz

These button on to the collar of the jacket. If it’s an NOS hood it should come with a packet of buttons, which need to be sewn on to the jacket (you’ll need to line up the button holes on the hood as I don’t think there are any specific locating marks on the jacket itself). If the buttons are missing then they should be easy to acquire.

Here’s a photo from the Suit Up! book:

0DBB037B-BF56-40D0-8667-F9D8DFDF38DC.jpeg

bazzer

Thank you I presume you pull the collar up its a large hood and large jacket both are original stock usaf
Thanks
Baz

917_k

Thank you I presume you pull the collar up its a large hood and large jacket both are original stock usaf
Thanks
Baz

I guess the best thing would be to affix the buttons to the outer side of the turned up collar, that way when the jacket is worn without the hood the buttons will be hidden with the collar turned down.

bazzer

That's what I was thinking also it probably the only way water would not get in ?
Thanks
Baz

bazzer

Got it from a chap that runs a surplus store in Swindon UK he has an eBay store he mainly deals in usaf gear got the cwu-45p from him as well

seller:premiersurplus95

Meet him at airshows Alway top quality gear been buying from him for years good to keep an eye on him as he sells out quickly
Baz

Last edited:

B-Man2

Got it from a chap that runs a surplus store in Swindon UK he has an eBay store he mainly deals in usaf gear got the cwp-45 from him as well

seller:premiersurplus95

Meet him at airshows Alway top quality gear been buying from him for years good to keep an eye on him as he sells out quickly
Baz
Thanks for sharing that Baz .
Greatly appreciated :)

bn1966

Had one of the hoods with button attached to my ‘45 but moved them both on. Swindon is just down the road from me..