• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-36/45 questions

Spitfireace

This is probably my favourite jacket. I think it's a keeper. Unfortunately it's not something I can wear much. I don't think I would ever sell it though. Probably wouldn't be able to find something that fits and looks as good. When something comes along that works for you it seems like it's meant to be.

Spitfireace

Good to see a fellow Canadian on the forum. Nice to meet ya.
You're looking very sharp in that CWU! A perfect fit, congrats :)

I fully agree, I've seen a lot of RCAF flight jackets and I must say our flyers' kit is really lacking in looks and style compared to our US counterparts.
Have you seen the moto-style, baby blue, oversized mouton abominations we have? Oh, they are just awful. Not to mention the lack of lower body knits; it's as if they just forgot about it - two little waist adjustor straps is all you get.

But, more importantly, thank you for your service sir!
That's why I don't collect RCAF jackets. With the exception of the Irvin. There is a leather RCAF jacket. It's sort of an A-2 abortion so I'll stick with the A-2.

B-Man2

This is probably my favourite jacket. I think it's a keeper. Unfortunately it's not something I can wear much. I don't think I would ever sell it though. Probably wouldn't be able to find something that fits and looks as good. When something comes along that works for you it seems like it's meant to be.
Not trying to steal the thread so my last post on this one. Why don’t you do a review and pictures on that Devon Irvin. It’s a rare jacket and I think many of us would like to see it?

Greg Gale

I’m back in Hungary, my only consolation is that the Lancer CWU-45 I got from Jorge was waiting for me. What a stunning jacket, great condition despite the fact it’s 40 years old. Perfect fit too. I also got the patches, but I’m not sure if I should put on all of them. Here are some alternatives:

10F8B5FA-F971-42E2-8F1A-BA411EDDE76A.jpeg
5D15056D-81FE-4F9F-9B16-AC1EA4FE2A2D.jpeg
5FBC931F-F77B-4932-B9B9-F256B656E736.jpeg
D049D1F2-2C64-465D-9E18-276AFFF92894.jpeg
A1801B8C-C68B-4983-87DF-D086A0B9DCD0.jpeg

PS: what’s a safe way to age the patches and the leather name tag?

Last edited:

B-Man2

I’m back in Humgary, my only consolation is that the Lancer CWU-45 I got from Jorge was waiting for me. What a stunning jacket, great condition despite the fact it’s 40 years old. Perfect fit too. I also got the patches, but I’m not sure if I should put on all of them. Here are some alternatives:

View attachment 45857View attachment 45858View attachment 45859View attachment 45860View attachment 45861

Hi Greg
I’m not a fan of patching jackets, but if you plan on doing it , I think the third photo looks the best . Nicely done with a moderate number of patches. I don’t think the top gun look with patches all over the jacket is a good look these days and that third photo looks to be the right amount in the right places .
Good Luck with whatever you decide .

MaydayWei

Me too, in my humble opinion the 3rd one looks the best.
Patches are great; but not over-patching. The third one looks the most 'authentic' to my eye.
At least, it most resembles what I think would have been the patching style for VF-84 Tomcat pilots.
It's a stunner nonetheless!

B-Man2

I’m back in Hungary, my only consolation is that the Lancer CWU-45 I got from Jorge was waiting for me. What a stunning jacket, great condition despite the fact it’s 40 years old. Perfect fit too. I also got the patches, but I’m not sure if I should put on all of them. Here are some alternatives:

View attachment 45857View attachment 45858View attachment 45859View attachment 45860View attachment 45861

Greg
I’ve heard that pouring tea over them and then letting them dry out in sun light ages them, but I’ve never done it and if you decide to try that, I would find and old patch that you don’t care about and try that one first.

Spitfireace

I would go with option number 3 also. I had success ageing a name tag like that by lightly rubbing with steel wool.

Ed Rooney

I’ve never had a leather nametag that did not get wet. You wear them in the rain, you leave them on the jacket when it gets washed....water and shoulder straps age a nametag.

There is a company in Pensacola called wings and things that still makes nametags with stamps and foil, so they will wear out and look aged quickly. They make a lot of mistakes, though, so you have to make sure it’s how you want it. They also do the aged, embossed tags that Navy crews are getting sewn directly on their G-1’s these days (like flightjacket.com).

Spitfireace

I have some from them. They do a good job, but they appear to be computer generated and printed, which is great for longevity.

My all around favorite is Gibson & Barnes. Nametags4u also good.
Depends if you want historic tags or current. I think maybe G&B is more historic type?

FtrPlt

Thank you guys! Btw, the green one is the Lightweight Flyer’s Jacket version, it doesn’t have the velcro tab on the back as the tanker version. These 2 designs are only seen on the green version, the tan version only comes with the tanker design. I have to do a thread of them, soon!

Lightweight Flyer’s jacketView attachment 44594View attachment 44595

Cold Weather jacket (Tanker)View attachment 44593View attachment 44592

Cold Weather jacket (Tanker) Tan
View attachment 44596View attachment 44597
The Army OG-106 jackets initially started out as aviation jackets -- the lightweight and winter weight versions. They were supposed to be part of the VN-era two-piece flight suit, also in the same OG-106 color.

Both the lightweight jacket and heavyweight jackets existed in two versions. For the lightweight jacket, the early version had unflapped pocket and the later version had flaps. It remained an aviation only item.

The early heavyweight jacket, as noted above, didn't have the opening across the back as it was initially an aviation-only item. The second pattern had the opening and was used by both aviation and armor crews.

I completed my flight training in 1986 and these are the types I was issued. The second lightweight version came with a black velcro attached for a flightsuit nametag.