• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-36/45 questions

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Prior to about 2000, it was unusual for patches to have Velcro. It was done, but mostly in the AF, so you have to consider whether you are trying to show a modern jacket or a vintage.
It was common the use of velcro on the flight suits, note the VF-84 patch (1980) with black velcro on the right shoulder, probably the left shoulder has velcro as well. Most likely that is the reason of the presence of velcro on some of these VF-84 patches.
7E4B793C-D4CA-40AB-8D9C-BFD894F3E4AC.jpeg

MaydayWei

Yes, some of them came with velcro on the back from the original owner. My idea is to sewn them onto a jacket someday, the velcro would have to be removed. Trust me, I know how hard is to sewn them onto a jacket lol, I did my VF-31 jacket 9 years ago and after that I’ve been procrastinating other projects, honestly now if you are lucky it’s just easier to buy them from the pilots.

My VF-31 projectView attachment 44775View attachment 44776

The “Real Deal”View attachment 44777

Both pics are absolutely fantastic, @Jorgeenriqueaguilera! I guess I have to go make some Naval Aviator friends then; a little difficult to do up here in Canada.

On a different but related note (and I'm not sure if this resonates with you) but what I find most difficult about patching up a jacket is the historical consistency.
In the sense that a post 2010 Matte CWU has to be patched with post 2010 campaign patches (Wouldn't make sense for a 2012 jacket to go on a 1984 Med. Cruise), in the exact same style as the Naval aviators at the point in time (because I understand that where naval aviators put certain patches on their jackets changed with the different decades), and with in patches in their post 2010 designs (often the 'design' of each squadron's emblem evolved through time (i.e. a 1980s VF84 patch looks different from a post 2010 one) and the list goes on and on and on.
If you strive for historical accuracy, it extends to consistency between the placement of the patches, the style of patches, and the of the patches themselves etc. etc.
Oh, what a headache to be authentic as possible with Navy patching!
I gave up, went for USAF patch style (strict regulations on what goes where!) Haha

MaydayWei

It was common the use of velcro on the flight suits, note the VF-84 patch (1980) with black velcro on the right shoulder, probably the left shoulder has velcro as well. Most likely that is the reason of the presence of velcro on some of these VF-84 patches.View attachment 44778

Yep, absolutely, most flight suits (even then) had velcro for patches; the reasoning was something about safety standards.
Lord knows what removable patches have to do with surviving being lit on fire.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Both pics are absolutely fantastic, @Jorgeenriqueaguilera! I guess I have to go make some Naval Aviator friends then; a little difficult to do up here in Canada.

On a different but related note (and I'm not sure if this resonates with you) but what I find most difficult about patching up a jacket is the historical consistency.
In the sense that a post 2010 Matte CWU has to be patched with post 2010 campaign patches (Wouldn't make sense for a 2012 jacket to go on a 1984 Med. Cruise), in the exact same style as the Naval aviators at the point in time (because I understand that where naval aviators put certain patches on their jackets changed with the different decades), and with in patches in their post 2010 designs (often the 'design' of each squadron's emblem evolved through time (i.e. a 1980s VF84 patch looks different from a post 2010 one) and the list goes on and on and on.
If you strive for historical accuracy, it extends to consistency between the placement of the patches, the style of patches, and the of the patches themselves etc. etc.
Oh, what a headache to be authentic as possible with Navy patching!
I gave up, went for USAF patch style (strict regulations on what goes where!) Haha
Yes, it’s not that complicated though, you only need a picture of the pilot (front and back) and get the same patches, dating the jacket should be easy. The VF-31 project was made in 2011, this was my first CWU and I was living in South America at that time (yes, living in US has its perks for collection purposes) so I decided to put 2000’s patches onto a 80’s jacket, even though I knew it was not accurate (I was only 21 years old, uffff time flies). I remember sourcing the correct patches took me several months and they ended up costing 3 times more than the CWU itself, but my friends loved the jacket...

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Yep, absolutely, most flight suits (even then) had velcro for patches; the reasoning was something about safety standards.
Lord knows what removable patches have to do with surviving being lit on fire.
The velcro thing has many purposes (laundry, transfers, safety) but the main reason would be if the pilot gets down in hostile territory, they would definitely "sanitize" their uniform.

Flightengineer

It was common the use of velcro on the flight suits, note the VF-84 patch (1980) with black velcro on the right shoulder, probably the left shoulder has velcro as well. Most likely that is the reason of the presence of velcro on some of these VF-84 patches.View attachment 44778

Agree. Mine CWU 36P from 1986 belonged to VF-31 pilot also has velcro patches.

MaydayWei

Yes, it’s not that complicated though, you only need a picture of the pilot (front and back) and get the same patches, dating the jacket should be easy. The VF-31 project was made in 2011, this was my first CWU and I was living in South America at that time (yes, living in US has its perks for collection purposes) so I decided to put 2000’s patches onto a 80’s jacket, even though I knew it was not accurate (I was only 21 years old, uffff time flies). I remember sourcing the correct patches took me several months and they ended up costing 3 times more than the CWU itself, but my friends loved the jacket...

When you said that sourcing the patches costed more than the jacket itself, I felt that!
But, as always, historically consistency or accuracy or whatever it may be... at the end of the day so long as you love the jacket; that's all that really counts.
Its hard to imagine the days when we were normal people leading normal lives, then the 'first' jacket hits us; a few years later, and you have a museum-level collection @Jorgeenriqueaguilera ;)

Rutger

The velcro thing has many purposes (laundry, transfers, safety) but the main reason would be if the pilot gets down in hostile territory, they would definitely "sanitize" their uniform.

Before any operational flight (actual combat) all identification items have to be removed except rank.
Not sure if that goes for QRA.
Non-operational flights do not require removal of velcroed patches.
My $0.02

Spitfireace

Heres my CWU-36P. 2000 Propper Industries.
20201010_170023.jpg
Got a wings/nametag with velcro from a supplier to the US military from Missouri. Just seems like the velcro spot needs to be filled with something. I feel a little like a poser though. I'm in Canada, so I don't think I'll be getting in any fights with anyone. In the US possibly.

Spitfireace

I was in the Canadian military from 2002 to 2007. So I am somewhat entitled to wear. I was not an officer. I was in the Canadian Navy. Communications. US jackets are much more design appealing for some reason.

MaydayWei

US jackets are much more design appealing for some reason.

Good to see a fellow Canadian on the forum. Nice to meet ya.
You're looking very sharp in that CWU! A perfect fit, congrats :)

I fully agree, I've seen a lot of RCAF flight jackets and I must say our flyers' kit is really lacking in looks and style compared to our US counterparts.
Have you seen the moto-style, baby blue, oversized mouton abominations we have? Oh, they are just awful. Not to mention the lack of lower body knits; it's as if they just forgot about it - two little waist adjustor straps is all you get.

But, more importantly, thank you for your service sir!