• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-36/45 questions

Greg Gale

OK, so I've just learned that Bali won't reopen in 2020. To prevent myself from committing harakiri I'm trying to look at the bright side - there isn't much to look at: at least I can wear my jackets this fall.

Now I've always been thinking about getting a CWU 36 or 45 jacket and patching it up (I won't patch my original G-1). Question is: which one should I get? I guess the 36 would compete with my A-2 and G-1, and I don't want that. The 45 is the winter version? That would be valid, as I only have a B-10 for the winter. What are they like in terms of warmth/ practicality?

Second question: Where should I look for one? Fleebay? What can be considered a good price? Any contracts to avoid?

Third question: sizing. I'm a small size 42. Should I go for M or L?

Thanks in advance!

B-Man2

Greg
I can help out a little with your questions .

Fairly good pricing for the 45 model which is the warmer winter one.
If they won’t ship to you have it sent to me and I will.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

OK, so I've just learned that Bali won't reopen in 2020. To prevent myself from committing harakiri I'm trying to look at the bright side - there isn't much to look at: at least I can wear my jackets this fall.

Now I've always been thinking about getting a CWU 36 or 45 jacket and patching it up (I won't patch my original G-1). Question is: which one should I get? I guess the 36 would compete with my A-2 and G-1, and I don't want that. The 45 is the winter version? That would be valid, as I only have a B-10 for the winter. What are they like in terms of warmth/ practicality?

Second question: Where should I look for one? Fleebay? What can be considered a good price? Any contracts to avoid?

Third question: sizing. I'm a small size 42. Should I go for M or L?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, Greg

I’m 1,80 mts or 5’10” and my size is 42 on G-1s’ too, on CWUs; Medium fits me perfect. I would suggest you checking for pre-owned ones on ebay, you should be able to find them in a reasonable price and condition with some patience. Avoid the ones from ISRATEX, their stitching has problems. For Bali, I would take a CWU-36, the 45 is way to warm. Here are some pics of both. (MEDIUM)
CWU-45/P
E3E1EBB6-4063-4CCC-86C3-B3FB9EE8AE07.jpeg

CWU-36/P
DC61640E-8C1A-47D6-AA90-A7960CD55272.jpeg

917_k

45 is indeed the winter version and it’s surprising how much warmer it is than the 36. I made the mistake of wearing my 45 out in late spring and was a sweating out, so they’re good cold weather jackets.

Size wise all the ones I’ve had have been in chest measurement rather than S,M, L, so just get a 42, although a 40 would probably fit also.

Not sure where you are in the world but these regularly turn up on U.K. eBay. I’ve picked up 2 45s for £25 each and a 36 for £5 (lucky find!!).

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Thanks for the help! For Bali even a T-shirt is too warm, this would be for Hungarian winters to complement my B-10. I'll keep checking ebay.
Ohhh, in that case go for the CWU-45/P, that will work perfectly. 36 is the summer version.
The 45 has a liner and a wind flap (INTERMEDIATE ZONE), the 36 is plain inside and no flap (LIGHT ZONE). Same as comparing the MA-1 with the L-2.
CWU-45/P
EE53DB35-DD5F-45E0-BB9A-18C04F622D56.jpeg

CWU-36/P
22882C90-BF69-47CB-AFC4-52166A61BB68.jpeg

TEMPERATURE ZONES CHART
3EEE4D70-D5EC-4CC7-BA9D-A04ADACCEEDD.jpeg

MikeyB-17

My 45/P is my daily beater/commuting jacket, and it’s surprising how cold the weather can be and it still keeps me warm. The older ones with the bi-swing back are generally regarded as being more collectible, I’ve had a couple, but I found that my later (1984) version is probably warmer, and pleasanter to wear, with softer, more comfortable knits.

flyincowboy

IF YOU WANT A GOOD ONE GO FOR A ARAMID POLYAMINE (NOMEX) instead of cheapo civil jacket. got one cwu45 from Isratex and a 36 from Gibraltar bought from fleebay. The summer version is quite good in hot weather. The 45 is not bad in mid season and in cold winter time. very confortable jacket For everyday wearing

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Yes, believe it or not, the first series started in the 70s’, J-CWFS (MIL-J-83388 A, established by the Department of Defense on September 5, 1973). They featured pleated backs and even an internal pocket with velcro fastening, which was equipped with an Indian Orange rescue panel. Note the particular look of the Aromatic Polyamide (Nomex).

The CWU model is 47 years old and still rockin’! :cool:
1D4D41CA-A2A2-4721-8EFF-F8429FAA8F7C.jpeg
CFE657DC-F3CF-49E3-AEEC-BDD02E0F650D.jpeg
19F08CE3-EE1A-43CD-B37E-A952F3BE0EA6.jpeg
5BFBD28A-F7F2-4D43-849E-703214B13D55.jpeg

Last edited:

Rutger

Only buy an original. Please.....:rolleyes:
No "authentic" replica. Please....

Some of the latest versions are cloth type nomex rather than the shiny type. They are rare on ebay, at least 90% and likely more than that will be of the shiny type.

NWT (New with tag) or NWOT (New without tag) preferably. A bit of patience helps and is rewarded.
Find one with velcro on left and right shoulder and left and right chest.
You will need to velcro your patches as well, but it allows you to start collecting patches.

As always, sizing varies.

If you're going to patch it: either original patches, which won't be as hard as for the MA-1 or L-2B, or find the best replicas possible. But original preferably.

Ed Rooney

I’ve had the nylon CWU (Avirex called it a CWU-55/P), which I bought instead of an MA-1 in High School, and several issued CWU-45s, and I think the flight nylon would hold up better in the long run, be a little warmer, and more water resistant than Nomex. Once nomex starts fraying, it is game over. It’s not made to last.

In the Guard in Pennsylvania and Maryland, we wore 45s from November to April, but for casual wear, I would get the 36. It wears about like a jean jacket or a Harrington.

Greg Gale

Would you guys consider this one a good deal/ condition? It has a bi-swing back too.

Ed Rooney

Keep in mind, a bi-swing back = 40+ year old jacket. I've owned both and the non bi-swing back is perfectly comfortable. I wear a 42 and always got a Large in mine, but a Medium-Long would also work for me.

bn1966

Had a few 45’s and 36’s including tan ‘Disco’ version, moved them all on except for a late 70’s Bi-swing version. I like the pattern but prefer nylon as a textile (E.g Alpha civvy version) which is fine for me not being a flyer. Might think about another Nomex 36 though.

Riggs5893

Greg, I normally wear a 42 in a G1 and my genuine issued 45p Nomex is a medium with plenty of room still. However like others have stated it is super warm so normally a T-shirt underneath does me even on particularly cold days. If my guys needed a spare or wanted their own for whatever reason we used to use a place that would supply us brand new Nome versions for about £130 in the UK. PM me and I'll try to get the details for you.