• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

customs issues: A-2 US->UK for repair

zoomer

How should I mark the US customs form when returning my Eastman HLB A-2 to the UK for repairs?

Last edited:

Juanito

Specifically state that it is for repairs, not merchandise. Zro issues when I did that for my Rough Wear that I sent to Roughwear (Andrew).

zoomer

Damn...got that last post about 3 min after I mailed.
Hope “clothing for repair” was ok.

Silver Surfer

for repair, with a low value...... gift, with a low value works as well. its not like you can declare a true value, and if something happens, you will be reimbursed by royal mail, usps, conus, etc.

zoomer

uh, I thought I better declare what I paid...about 1/2 of new retail. :cool:

...ah well, next time I do this, I will ask well in advance!!!

Garylafortuna

Zoomer, if 'clothing for repair' does not work out for you, and you are charged import duties and taxes etc. for the second time, there should be provision on the backside of the declaration attached to the box, which will allow you to file for a rebate. Save the declaration that came attached to the package the first time around. This very thing happened to me only a month ago. The jacket was returned to me as a gift, but the customs people used the insured value as a guideline and charged accordingly. Hope it works out for you without having to go through all the red tape.

ausreenactor

Email Gary. They send you an instruction sheet with everything you need to know. I got a RW B-3 repaired, then shipped to Simon Williams for art then ELC shipped it back with their low cost shipping. Quote for the repair before they start and updates all the way. Easy task for anyone.

Skyhawk

uh, I thought I better declare what I paid...about 1/2 of new retail. :cool:

...ah well, next time I do this, I will ask well in advance!!!

Smart! I would never devalue a shipment. You have no recourse if it goes missing. Insure it for full value. At least with the USPS you WILL get your money back if it is lost. I speak from experience. I got burned by putting a lower value on a jacket. It was lost and I could only get the value back that I claimed. I have had a few claims over the years and had all the money it was insured for returned in each case. The USPS does not do partial insurance claims. They return the full amount of the claim. If you claim a lower value, you will only get that amount back.
Another thing, it is totally acceptable and recommended y the USPS to include the shipping cost in the claim but you must include it in the stated value of the jacket when you insure it. You just add that amount to the total value.

You can ship as a commercial sample and put return for repair in the notes on the form.

zoomer

I’m getting a thorough transnasal cashectomy from the postal services, and I imagine the zip job won’t be cheap either, so if there’s duties on top of that, I shall grin and bear them and learn from the experience. Hell’s Little Break-in must fly again and fly she will!

w1rc

Here is what I have learned ober many years about dealing with customs of all nations:

Never undervalue the items being imported. These guys know what stuff is worth, especially now with the Internet. One time when crossing the Canada US border I went in the office on an unrelated matter and saw them looking up an item on eBay. If they don’t buy your valuation they can hold the item for an indefinite period while they valuate it.

If you are in the USA and are bringing something in that was made in the USA the language to use is “US GOODS RETURNED. There is no tax or duty on US GOODS RETURNED because the USA does not have VAT/GST, etc.

If sending a jacket made in the UK back for repairs then you have two import scenarios to deal with. As stated previously mark your customs form and the parcel CLOTHING RETURNED FOR REPAIR for HM Customs. Hopefully you will have your receipt for the jacket if purchased in the USA or documentation showing any taxes and duties that were paid when it was originally imported along with copies of your documentation when you sent it.

The company who repaired the item will also send you an invoice or receipt for what you paid them for the repairs. That should be included in the US customs declaration because, regardless of where the item was manufactured you still MAY be liable for tax/duty on the value of the repairs.

Be aware of the difference between personal and commercial importations. Try to keep it personal if possible by using your name instead of a company name. This only applies to items you personally own. Commercial importations generally require a customs broker and this can cost plenty even if there is no actual tax or duty payable.

Do not declare that something is a gift it it isn’t. Always put the true value on the declaration especially if you bought it in eBay, used PayPal or a bank card. Then you are covered. A few years ago I bought a German-made clock on eBay for USD $1,800 from a seller in Canada who sent it by Canada Post/USPS and it was delivered right to my door with no tax/duty charged. Another time I bought a German-made radio from a seller in the UK and, same deal, delivered with no tax/duty assessed. The important thing is the customs paperwork was truthful.

One final tip: Never lie to the folks at the border. People who work at borders are experts in catching people who lie to them. If they catch you, don’t say you were not warned. You can be in very serious trouble. No kidding!

Last edited: