• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Customizing your CWU (inspiration/patches)

JonnyCrow

I don’t do it myself for the simple reason that I don’t want to punch any holes in a 1500 dollar jacket. But I don’t see any problem with doing it. I would think in the event of running into someone who “earned “it , they would probably take it as a compliment. Like being famous. Just don’t try a hells angels patch. That’s a whole different ballgame ;)
Haha Hells Angels have a chapter here in Madrid, wouldn't dream of it :eek:

usafwso

Not sure about "earning" patches. At least in my years in the USAF, 1980-2005, when you process into a squadron, they hand out patches to put on your flight suit/jacket and utility uniforms. Mandatory wear and for rank, well, you do earn that but would never, ever under any circumstances wear my rank insignia now. By accident once, I put on one of my CWU-36's jacket that did have the rank on it and fortunately caught it before leaving the house. For those who want to wear patched jackets out; I'm good with it but would not do it myself. Just about daily on my out and about daily life, I run by people from Nellis or Creech. Personally, I don't interact with them as it has been 17 years since I retired and really don't have anything in common and frankly, I am sure they have better things to do than talk to me.

mulceber

I am in agreement with you about even the meatball being a bit to much for me to wear out but my reasoning is simply that IMO the patches make the jackets look different in a way I don't like. Less utilitarian, more costumey. If I lived in fighter pilot country I wouldn't wear a current issue CWU type with patches on it but if I was so inclined I'd have no problem say wearing a full CBI A-2 with blood chit etc. No one's gonna mistake me for a WW2 vet even at age 69 and I don't think there's any disrespectful element to it. 99% of the people here wear this stuff 'cause they love it- for fun.
This. My take on patched-up jackets is I'll wear it so long as I couldn't reasonably be mistaken for a veteran who would have originally worn it. That's the dividing line (imo) between tribute and stolen valor.

Last edited:

PilatusPilot

Very interesting discussion, I like everyone's input. The reason I was asking is to avoid looking like someone trying to pose as someone else, was never my intention. The only thing that made me feel better is that I'm young, clearly too young to have flown in any of my favorite F-14 squadrons even in it's last years before retirement. The people who don't know aviation won't know what those patches represent and those who do know, will see by the lack of any facial hair that I'm clearly far from an F-14 pilot. I think I will stay on the side of those who don't wear squadron patches, at least for now. Maybe one day when those old squadrons become more history like WW2 it will be fun to have their patches. I'll stick to having the F-14 and Prowler patches beautifully exposed on my wall.

ZuZu

Very interesting discussion, I like everyone's input. The reason I was asking is to avoid looking like someone trying to pose as someone else, was never my intention. The only thing that made me feel better is that I'm young, clearly too young to have flown in any of my favorite F-14 squadrons even in it's last years before retirement. The people who don't know aviation won't know what those patches represent and those who do know, will see by the lack of any facial hair that I'm clearly far from an F-14 pilot. I think I will stay on the side of those who don't wear squadron patches, at least for now. Maybe one day when those old squadrons become more history like WW2 it will be fun to have their patches. I'll stick to having the F-14 and Prowler patches beautifully exposed on my wall.
Again I think we come to the Japanese POV. The jackets themselves - outside of all historical and patriotic considerations- the jackets patched and aged as they are become wearable art.

Shanghai-Mayne

Wearing fantasy jacket, nobody gonna blame you for stolen value.

IMG_9698.jpeg

SuinBruin

Not sure about "earning" patches. At least in my years in the USAF, 1980-2005, when you process into a squadron, they hand out patches to put on your flight suit/jacket and utility uniforms. Mandatory wear and for rank, well, you do earn that but would never, ever under any circumstances wear my rank insignia now. By accident once, I put on one of my CWU-36's jacket that did have the rank on it and fortunately caught it before leaving the house. For those who want to wear patched jackets out; I'm good with it but would not do it myself. Just about daily on my out and about daily life, I run by people from Nellis or Creech. Personally, I don't interact with them as it has been 17 years since I retired and really don't have anything in common and frankly, I am sure they have better things to do than talk to me.
The F-15E driver who gifted me one of his CWU jackets on this very forum told me he had no problem with me putting his squadron and group patches on it. Avoid anything merit-related (wings, awards, rank), don't try to pass yourself off as something you're not, and you'll be OK.

Nickb123

I don’t worry because one look at me and anyone can ascertain I’m definitely not a pilot or in the military ;)

I couldn’t pass boot camp if you offered me a million dollars. What’s my record, 5 push ups? My dad had a plane, aviation runs in my blood but I’d get the frequent panic attack and let’s just say I just couldn’t muster it. I did some aerobatics in a T-6 when I was younger but that was before the nasty panic attacks set in.

In all seriousness, my 2 cents are to avoid rank. You see a lot of new Buzz nylon jackets with beautiful patches that are tarnished with the little shoulder ranks they sew on. If I were to go for one of those I’d take them off.

If the insignia is older and not current (or a gift from someone who is current), go for it. It’s a way to honor history and to a degree those who did serve. And of course, the art is just the coolest.

Thank god we have the luxury to do so, paid in dear by the men and women of decades gone by.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Neat, I've never seen a CWU 'civilianized' like that before.
As for patches, ranks and the like, in my experience, it's never active-duty types who get their knickers in a twist over that kind of thing. It always seems to me to be one of those "male Karen" types who doesn't consider their day complete without getting to yell at someone who launches into someone about that. The last time I heard someone go all 'stolen valor' on someone, it was a manatee of a woman who probably has a BMI of 5,000, yelling at someone for just wearing a pair of ACU digital camo pants.

Rutger

I don’t do it myself for the simple reason that I don’t want to punch any holes in a 1500 dollar jacket. But I don’t see any problem with doing it. .......
I can sell you CWU-type jackets for considerably less than 1500 dollar a piece. Just PM me and I'll make you a fantastic deal for oh (feeling generous) $800 per jacket. Hey, I'll add free shipping anywhere ;).

Pa12

I can sell you CWU-type jackets for considerably less than 1500 dollar a piece. Just PM me and I'll make you a fantastic deal for oh (feeling generous) $800 per jacket. Hey, I'll add free shipping anywhere ;).
I was referring to leather. I’d have no problem riddling a nylon jacket with holes, but I got rid of all mine.

Monsoon

patches represent things EARNED. there are patching ceremonies now when pilots aircrew get assigned to squadrons. Top Gun and USAF Fighter Weapons Schools grads/instructors are referred to as "patch wearers" or just "patches". She's a "patch". They are awesome looking and I love them and used to wear jackets with patches on them sometimes, then I grew up. If you didn't earn it, don't wear it. Sorry. Yes I DO LOVE how they look.

I suppose someone could say the same for even wearing a flight jacket........................

Just IMO
In my old squadron, calling someone a “patch” wasn’t a nice thing to do.

Eh, life is short and I stopped caring a long time ago. Do I still wear mine with patches and wings? Rarely, but if someone has an issue, they can go pound sand. I earned them, I’ll wear them if I want to.
If someone else wears them, fine. Just don’t claim the fame if you didn’t earn it.

Hazayad

I thought about this in the past and have settled on the following:
a) I earned it, I can wear it - like the badges on my WWII type para smock on a commemorative jump (my jump wings, my rank, my beret).
b) anything else: If I would not have a problem walking into the officers' mess of a squadron or indeed, let's say, the Pegasus in Aldershot with that jacket, then I feel I can safely wear it.
Hence, name tags will have my name and one of my jump wings, even on an AF jacket. Historic patch on a WWII repro flight jacket, no issues as per the explanations given by others above. Anything else - I probably would have a problem with ME wearing it.
BTW, I don't think the Hell's Angels scenario is sui generis but could be seen as an example for the extreme (to be expected) consequence for a similar kind of faux pas.

Ed Rooney

I don't care if someone walks around in a patched jacket. We aren't a 1% club, or Mandalorian.

I posted here before that I saw a CWU hung up in my dentist office once, all patched up with Special Forces stuff, long tab, short tab, jump wings, SF combat patch - very much a souvenir jacket that was not worn in service, and very cool.

Since the Army does not mandate unit patch wear other than the left shoulder patch, that's all they ever gave me - 29th Div patch and a pair of misspelled nametags. I had to buy the flight suit patches from a few entrepreneurial guys who went out and had the patches made. Those guys usually only did that once, since they would get boned on some of the cost and hassle. Well, I guess they did give me the Aeroscouts patch after my night/NVG check ride.