• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom US Navy ball hat with stencil

Gio80

I'm thinking to customize my US Navy ball hat, with stencil. I know is not usual make stencil on this kind of hats, but could be cool.
In this thread I saw some amazing selfmade stencil on bags, hat ecc... https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...tune-aviators-kit-bag-an-6505-1.21168/page-12

Below is the stencil I wish to print. What do you think about it? :)
Then two pics to undertand what's size is better. What's size do you prefere?

image3.jpeg

1/2" SIZE STENCIL
image2.jpeg

3/4" STENCIL
image1.jpeg

Gio80

1/2" text doesn't look too tiny? On those two caps above it looks to be 3/4"...
I thought to delete the USN and print the service number only, I think will be more clean and ordered job.

I was thinking of using brush and water paint for fabrics...

pennelli.jpeg

If is there someone with stencil experience, any advice is welcome :)

Last edited:

Cocker

I thought to delete the USN and print the service number only, I think will be more clean and ordered job.

View attachment 44396

Go for it, use fabric paints (for dark textile), and a large brush with a flat tip. Dip it in the paint, dry it on a towel so that there's only very little paint left on it, and brush away. You'll have to repeat it a couple time to get it to cover well, but it will look way much better than using too much paint (which will drip and sink UNDER your stencil, giving a sloppy appearance).

As for the size, I'd go with 1", but do what you like, it's up to you!

ausreenactor

View attachment 44396

That's 'neat'. No leakage or bleeding.. Great work.

Where did you get your stencil cut?

Gio80

Steady hand Sir. Great work!
Thanks Ausreenactor :)

If I can give you a small tips, you can use heavy paper, it'll be a bit more pliable than cardboard and easier to apply on surfaces that are not flat while still having a nice clean cut.
Thanks Cocker, yes that is an heavy paper sheet not cardboard.
Day ago, I ordered a couple of stencil made with the original WWII era cutting machines, from a guy here that has those machines since 40's. They are quite cheap. I like the idea to stencil with the original one :)

Now I will do a test on an old hat with my stencil to get hand, then let's see what comes out when I'll receve the original stencil :)
By the way, I will post the test soon. :)

Gio80

Thanks, I hope to be ready to make it on the good one :)
Do you think better to put the number only or U.S.N. too?