• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Lost Worlds "Speed Demon" #1

watchmanjimg

I'd like to share some pics of a jacket I received from Lost Worlds last week. It's a modification of their "Speed Demon" model, which is essentially a traditional motorcycle jacket in the classic asymmetrical zip/front half belt/multiple pockets style. I chose to delete the epaulets, belt, and several of the pockets for an approach that accentuates the fit of the jacket and the natural beauty of the leather with a more understated look. The hide has a substantial feel but is very supple and the bi-swing back with "football" underarm gussets affords great freedom of movement. The lining is nylon "flight satin" with cotton drill interlining. The single interior pocket at the left inner chest and both zipped side pockets are lined in black goatskin. I specified NOS brass Talon zippers throughout, and the 3.5-oz. horsehide results in a total weight of 6 pounds, 11 ounces. I also requested that the collar and lapel snaps be concealed beneath the outer layer of leather. Overall I find it to be a nice, clean design and the grain is already beginning to show through a combination of leaving the jacket crumpled in a pile and manipulating the panels by hand.

Here are some shots depicting the basic design, hardware, and grain:

And here are a few pics as worn:

I'm very pleased with this one and am looking forward to receiving modified Speed Demon #2, which will incorporate elements of the Buco PJ27 design with the SD's articulated back and underarms.

Falcon_52

That's a really nice, clean look. The leather looks tough as nails, but perhaps more pliable than their past offerings?

Enjoy that one!

Noel

watchmanjimg

Thanks for your comments, guys. Noel, you're absolutely right. This horsehide is substantial in weight but very pliable. Unlike some earlier offerings it has a beautiful matte finish much like the heavy cowhide LW used to offer (now discontinued due to low demand relative to horse), so it's nothing like the hard gloss of the past. After a few days of leaving the jacket in a pile, occasional crumpling of the leather by hand, and a couple of hours of wearing it last night the grain is really coming up nicely.

Vcruiser

I think the fit is great...and IMO looks so much better without the center seam down the back.
Van

watchmanjimg

Vcruiser said:
I think the fit is great...and IMO looks so much better without the center seam down the back.
Van

Van, I really appreciate your comments. I agonized over the deletion of the center seam as it was a costly option for a jacket whose base price isn't cheap to start with, but I'm convinced it was the right decision. I'm also glad I sprung for the NOS Talon zips because in my opinion cheap zippers are the single biggest drawback to modern leather jackets (and the ONLY reason I wouldn't buy a new Langlitz). As with the brass Talons on the new Speed Demon and the second one soon to follow, the #10 NOS aluminum Talon I requested for my recent GW café racer makes all the difference for me:

HueyPilot

I, too, like the elimination of the center seam. I also like the way you eliminated the belt and the hardware to give it a cleaner look.

Tommer45

Nice looking jacket, Jim. Been a while since I've been to this forum... all the names and avatars are slowly coming back. Jacket looks great though.. best of luck with it.

watchmanjimg

Thanks again for all the positive feedback, guys! Here's a quick shot of #2, which features a PJ27-style leather-lined chest pocket in lieu of the inner pocket. I also deleted the drill interlining in the sleeves for a bit more flexibility, although this was retained in the body to afford a barrier between the leather pocket linings and the inner "flight satin" lining:

Of the two this is my favorite, but both are fantastic. I seriously doubt that any mass-produced jacket could match this level of quality, regardless of era. Love him or hate him, Stu can build one hell of a jacket!