• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current State of Nylon?

Stony

What is the current market on nylon flight jackets? Is the market way down? I've tried to sell my really nice patched L-2B and have almost no luck. By no luck I mean I had it on ebay last year and the highest bid only got about half way to the reserve, which was more than reasonable. I've also tried to sell it on here and had no luck along with another forum.

:?

oose

Hi Stony,
I think is generally down, I've seen many patched and good condition L-2b only make $150. Its only rarer beats that make the big money, but to be honest that what I think there worth, 60's nylon comes up all the time and the 50's stuff tends to be premium only if its in A1 condition or it has patches worth more than the jacket. Good luck with the sale but I don't think Nylon will compete with leather for a while yet.

All the best
stu

I'm new to all of this, but we are still having financial problems as a country. Guys that do collect want it for as cheap as they get it unless the item is rare as hell. Clark just sold some nice stuff here on the site at a very reasonable price. If he had sold on the bay he would have lost out with fees and the BS. I guess it's hit and miss and who knows when the market will adjust and stabilize. What you selling?

Stony

What you selling?

It's a 1960 dated Skyline size large. It has 355th FS, 405 FBW, TAC patches and plastic encased metal captain's bars. It has the shiny rayon orange lining and the USAF decal on the arm. The patches alone are worth $300-400 off the jacket, so that's why I'm a little miffed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wow reads like a winner. The stupid thing is, a REPRO Buzz might sell for more. A serious collector should want it especially given the large size. Have you posted it here?

Stony

Wow reads like a winner. The stupid thing is, a REPRO Buzz might sell for more. A serious collector should want it especially given the large size. Have you posted it here?

Yep, posted it here last year at $300 and got no hits. I'll try it again later today and see what happens.

watchmanjimg

In my observation the nylon market is way down. I'm having a similar experience selling my N-3B here and it's been to the local militaria show two years in a row with no takers. Whether we like to admit it or not, most military items probably had no business costing as much as they did before the economy tanked and they're unlikely to regain those values for the foreseeable future--if ever. To the average person it's just so much junk and experienced collectors know that if they keep looking they'll find another one cheaper. I have to agree with Stu that realistically this is a $150-200 dollar jacket under today's market conditions, or at least that's what I'd be willing to pay if I didn't have so many already.

If you hold out for the right buyer it may well bring what you're seeking, but as you mention it's been over a year and not even close. Don't get me wrong as I'd love to see you get your price, but many of the most likely potential buyers are simply no longer biting.

a2jacketpatches

35 years ago, Norton, MA. Flea Market, best one I can remember. I was about 12 years old and vividly remember a few painted A2's in one day in the 40 dollar range. Probably relative to the nylon stuff today where you can actually afford one. May be a good time to buy them up or keep what you have.

FlyingYankee

Probable because Nylon does not age like horsehide and I don't think will ever do as well as horshide. Although I will always enjoy mine regardless of collector value

Peter Graham

Stony, the label is missing from that L-2B, is it not ? This obviously does not effect it's wearability but from a collectors point of view it lowers the value considerably. Personally, I wouldn't buy a jacket that had the label removed, unless it was for peanuts.

Stony

Stony, the label is missing from that L-2B, is it not ? This obviously does not effect it's wearability but from a collectors point of view it lowers the value considerably. Personally, I wouldn't buy a jacket that had the label removed, unless it was for peanuts.

No, the label is intact. :D

I put it up for sale again in the "Buy/Sell" section with pictures. I believe you're remembering the one I had before which did not have a label.

bebel

I think that as some other collectibles, some nylon jackets could be highly worth and some others from the same model less. Minor details often make the difference between two jackets of the same version. A complete and original jacket (or flight suit) with some combat squadrons patches, ranks and name of the pilot is always more appreciated than the same without the name, or combat patches. Some nylon flight jackets have been sold for a high price even after the actual economic crisis have begun. But potential buyers for those are more attentive than before, I think. And some sellers or collectors certainly prefer wait for a best time than selling their treasure for less than yesterday.
Franck

Atticus

There has been some recent interest in nylon over on the other forum...albeit mainly in middle quality reproductions. In response to PMs from a few members, I toyed with the idea of putting some of my collection up for sale. To get an idea of where to begin pricing, I glanced through the completed eBay listings. I was more than a little disappointed at what I found. I finally just told the guys over there to forget about my collection and buy whatever originals they wanted on eBay. I wouldn't be able to sell them any of my jackets any cheaper than what they'd find there.

AF