• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crusher caps repops where to get

Pilot

Hi Greg,
OK accepted, but now how much does it cost you? (all incl...customs..shipping, return etc...) and still you dont have what you need...

Greg Gale

Well ,that's a different question - but it wasn't written on the website "pay twice get one if you're lucky". Of course that would have changed the deal :D I didn't have to pay customs though.

Pilot

Well ,that's a different question - but it wasn't written on the website "pay twice get one if you're lucky". Of course that would have changed the deal :D I didn't have to pay customs though.
OK...lets put it under..."win some loose some"...fair enough.
Not my philosophy, but I respect others....but 160---Euro for a real WW2 one...:) :) :)

Last edited:

Greg Gale

Those of you that have real crushers: how stiff is the lower side of the cap that goes around your head? There is a stiffener that goes around the inside of the crown of the cap, that can be removed, but the lower side also seems to have some sort of metal in there to keep the shape. Is this correct? Can / should it also be removed? Thanks!

Pilot

On hold waiting for payment....sold for 160Eur shipped to Germany.

Last edited:

dmar836

There is a grommet(as it's called) behind the insignia that holds the front up. There is also the band that holds the crown out flat. That band is often removed to make a "crusher" but not often the grommet - even in the day. The "production crushers"(Bancroft "Flighter", "Flightweight", etc) are a different breed altogether and construction is different with a smaller crown.
Other than reenacting, where does one wear such a cap and not look a bit odd?
Dave

Pilot

There is a grommet(as it's called) behind the insignia that holds the front up. There is also the band that holds the crown out flat. That band is often removed to make a "crusher" but not often the grommet - even in the day. The "production crushers"(Bancroft "Flighter", "Flightweight", etc) are a different breed altogether and construction is different with a smaller crown.
Other than reenacting, where does one wear such a cap and not look a bit odd?
Dave
Partialy agree only. No stiffener not in the cover not in the band and not in the front to hold the eagle...Grommet yes...but it does not hinder to fold the cap in 4.

dmar836

I wasn’t talking about your hat. Those are pretty common. Greg asked about real crushers so I was referring to how standard period AAF officers caps were supplied, then modified. The original crushers were just modified standard officer caps and very hard to find as every standard WWII cap appears to have had the stiffener recently removed to increase sales appeal. Knowing that one was period modified for flight is quite special.
As mentioned, the later production crushers as you pictured are a different story - made as crushers “ready to wear” and were purchased by clerks, desk jockeys, pilots, whoever. I had a WWII pilot friend who wore in Italy. I have one from a B-17 pilot and it is very pliable as well. I also have one that was a standard service cap made in England, worn daily for 2 1/2 yrs, and modified for headset use by the Intell officer of the 394th. Such caps are much harder to find.
Cheers and sorry for the misunderstanding,
Dave

Last edited: